Windows 10 Build 14965

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    [​IMG]

What’s new in Build 14965

Controlling external monitors from tablets just got easier (PC):

You can now drive content on a second display from your tablet without ever having to attach a mouse. The virtual touchpad lets you do more with a tablet and a second screen – just connect to another monitor, PC, or TV, go to Action Center and tap on the “Project” Quick Action to extend your screen. Use it just like you would a physical touchpad to control content on the connected screen. To enable it, press and hold on the taskbar and select “Show touchpad button”. A touchpad icon will now appear in the notification area (just like Windows Ink Workspace does), and tapping on it will bring it up the virtual touchpad.

[​IMG]

You’ve seen the work we’ve been doing for precision touchpad customization with the last few builds, and the virtual touchpad is no exception. While the virtual touchpad is open, go to Settings > Devices > Touchpad and you’ll be able to tweak the touchpad settings to your preferences.

Sticky Notes update (PC):

Windows Insiders in the Fast ring will receive will receive Sticky Notes app update to version 1.2.9.0 today and we’re very excited to share what it includes!

• We’ve expanded our support for Insights to many more languages and regions, with even more to come in further updates, stay tuned! Specifically, with this version:
      • We’ve added flight detection for Germany (Germany), in more English locales (Canada, Great Britain, India, Arabia), Spanish (Spain & Mexico), French (France, Canada), Italian (Italy), Japanese (Japan), and Portuguese (Brazil).
      • We’ve added email & URL recognition for every locale (except Chinese (simplified or traditional), Korean, or Japanese, which we’re still working on).
      • We’ve added phone number recognition to all English, German, Spanish, French and Italian locales.
      • We’ve added address recognition support for English (Great Britain) and Spanish (United States).
      • We’ve added time recognition (prompting to create a Cortana reminder) to English (Great Britain), English (Australia) and English (India).
      • We’ve added stock recognition (for example, $MSFT) to English (Australia), English (Canada), English (India), German (Germany), Spanish (Spain), Spanish (Mexico), French (France), French (Canada), Japanese (Japan) and Portuguese (Brazil).

• If Insights in Sticky Notes isn’t turned on automatically for you, tap “…” > Settings gear > “Enable insights”. Note: The language and region used to detect Insights in Sticky Notes is based off of the active keyboard. We’re currently investigating some issues where Insights may not show up as expected if you switch keyboards while typing in Sticky Notes.
    • We’ve fixed some issues with Undo and Redo (CTRL + Z/CTRL + Y) while typing, so they’ll now do so more reliably.
    • We’ve improved the performance of text input while typing.
    • It’s now easier than ever to get the latest Sticky Notes app updates. When our next update is available, we’ll show an in-app prompt so all you have to do is click ‘Update’.
    • We’ve also done a whole lot of UI/UX polishing and performance improvements that we hope you enjoy.
    We’re been making a bunch of improvements based on your feedback, and have more to come, so let us know what you’d like to see next! In recent versions of Sticky Notes, we’ve added support for many of your favorite keyboard shortcuts, including CTRL + B (bold), CTRL + I (italic), CTRL + N (new note) and CTRL + D (delete note), added a new context menu for easy copy/paste, reduced the minimum note size for typists, as well as generally improved our reliability and performance.

Windows Ink Workspace Improvements (PC):

This build includes a number of improvements to the Windows Ink Workspace.

• We increased the number of Recently Used apps shown in the Windows Ink Workspace to 6, and added a link to quickly access your pen settings.
    • We’ve improved the performance of loading Sketchpad when there’s a lot of ink present on the sketch.
    • We’ve updated the new protractor, so that you can use the scroll-wheel on your mouse to shrink/expand it (depending on the direction of the scrolling).
    • We fixed an issue where, when using Sticky Notes in the Windows Ink Workspace, the background would ding when tapped.
    • We fixed an issue where inking and resizing the protractor at the same time would result in Sketchpad crashing.
    • We’ve updated the “Pen & Windows Ink” Settings for pen users to now include a link to the handwriting training tool – simply click on “Get to know my handwriting” to launch it. We’ve also improved how we learn from your handwriting samples – try it out and let us know what you think!

Enhancing the Address Bar in Registry Editor (PC):

We were really excited to hear how excited you were about the new address bar in Registry Editor, and based on your feedback, we’ve already incorporated two new features:

1. You can now use CTRL + L to set focus to the address bar – while we already supported ALT + D, we recognize that some people prefer this keyboard shortcut instead, so now you have the option to use either one
    2. You can now use shorthand notation for HKEY names – you told us that when sharing registry paths you always use shorthand notation (HKCU) instead of typing out the full HKEY name (i.e. HKEY_CURRENT_USER), so we should support them in the address bar, and you know what? We agree! You can now just use “HKCR”, “HKCU”, “HKLM”, and “HKU” instead of typing or pasting the respective full name “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT”, “HKEY_CURRENT_USER”, “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE”, or “HKEY_USERS” into the address bar.

Improving Your Hyper-V VM experience (PC):

Following the new VM scaling options mentioned in last week’s build, we’ve fixed an issue where depending on the zoom level selected, the VM window might not be created large enough to avoid scrollbars, despite their being enough space for it. We also updated the logic so that when you pick a particular zoom level, that zoom level preference will be preserved for the next VM connection. Along the way, we fixed an issue where the title bar of a maximized VM window would be occluded when taskbar had been set to on top.

Other improvements and fixes for PC

• We have fixed the issue causing Internet Explorer to crash a few seconds after launch.
    • We fixed an issue where, when using Cortana in French (France or Canada), the “Prendre une <photo/video/selfie>” (take a picture, video, or selfie) command was redirecting to a Bing search rather than opening the Camera app as expected.
    • We’ve made some graphics improvements so the system will now respond better when WIN + L is pressed while playing a full screen game.
    • We’ve updated the ALT + F4 Shutdown dialog to better respond to DPI changes when connected to an external monitor. We also fixed an issue where the tooltips for the taskbar notification area items would be incorrectly sized after a DPI change until rebooting the machine or otherwise signing out and back in.
    • We’ve fixed an issue where File Explorer might crash when creating or renaming a folder on a network share.
    • We fixed an issue resulting in the text on the Outlook Calendar tile on the Start menu being slightly fuzzy.
    • We fixed an issue where deleted files might reappear in File Explorer with a 0 byte size.
    • We fixed an issue resulting in a Windows Default Lock Screen window sometimes appearing after logging in.
    • We fixed an issue resulting in File Explorer crashing after right-clicking an app in Task Manager and selecting “Open File Location”.
    • We’ve updated our migration logic so that going forward from Build 14965, preferred UAC settings, startup shortcuts, and File Explorer folders that had been pinned to the Start menu will all now be preserved across upgrades.
    • We fixed an issue resulting in vertical lists written in XAML, such as those found in Groove Music, unexpectedly animating in from the side.
    • We fixed an issue resulting in Cortana crashing if you typed “Create an appointment” then clicked on the resulting suggestion to “Create an appointment”.
    • We fixed an issue where in Microsoft Edge, after cancelling a file download, the progress bar for the next file downloaded might appear to be stuck at the point at which the old file’s download was at when it was cancelled.
    • We fixed an issue that could result in the Japanese Input Method Editor (IME) periodically showing the candidate window in the upper left corner of the desktop and not being able to enter text into the Office 2016 apps and some other text editors.

Known issues for PC

• Double-clicking on an Excel document to open it from File Explorer will crash Microsoft Excel. The workaround is to open the document from within Excel.
    • Microsoft Studios games like Microsoft Sudoku, Jigsaw, Minesweeper, Taptiles, and Treasure Hunt may freeze at the splash screen on launch.

Source:
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...and-pc/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

2. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Does avast install with this build? Last couple builds, it stated in their known issues, doesn't seem to be in this build, just making sure.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The antivirus installs, but the net protection side of things is still broken. This is true for at least Bitdefender and Avast. I guess it's now up to them to add support, which they technically 'don't have to' until Creators Update is released.

4. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

So in avast, you can't enable all shields?

Does this build still have the network bugs from the previous build?

I wonder if fl studio installs this time.

5. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Ok I am trying the build now.

First off I notice is that the black screen I been getting from the last several builds, right before you get into windows(Right after the installation), is finally gone.

2nd, Avast premier, either offline or online installer, hangs during the final phase of installation, in addition, during the customize of the installation, about 5-10 seconds in, very unexpectedly the system makes a sound(New device), then the system automatically restarts itself, Already did it several times so it can be duplicated.

3rd, when going to my pc, on the left drop box area, some folders are missing, like pictures,documents,etc, I right clicked on the mouse and clicked on show all hidden folders, within a second or so, exact same thing happened when I was doing avast installation through customize, system makes a sound(New Device), then restarts.

and last, FL Studio 12.3 goes through this time during package extraction, even with the newer build, 12.4.

But avast = X with this build.

UPDATE:

Bit Defender works with this build.

Avast Secureline vpn Will NOT install(Possible network bug issue).

Getting some Corrupt files when download programs.

Try to save and run fire fox, will not continue.

Tried another firefox build, says corrupt file,etc.

Chrome goes through though.

Due to the nature of this build of the network issues/corrupt files during downloading,etc, I do NOT recommended this build to anyone, this is solely for testing purposes only, download programs,etc at your own risk. This build and the ones before it that has the same issue is nothing to be played around with, this is a very serious issue.

Download a bios for example for a motherboard = Corrupt

So Be extremely weary about this please.

If you want to use something for awhile and that's good until may of next year, use build 14931, that's the build I have been using for quite sometime, a lot better then the ones after that, no problems like the newer builds are having.

Another Update on FireFox:

I did a file compare of two of the same files, the ones from filehippo.com, Both files shows no difference, just a heads up to everyone,but when I am trying to install firefox, while downloading the files, I get a dialogue box says:

Your download was interrupted.

This happens 100% of the time on this build.

Another update:

Just for kicks, I wanted to compare(FC) with two of the same downloaded bios from asus website, I tried downloading the x99a mobo's bios, I tried to extract it but it says the archive is corrupted, same goes for the other one.

I also tried to download a bios from asrock's website, same b.s.

This build is a dud, time to revert back.

Just the network issue is enough to pull back, Very serious issue.

Back to 14931, had a somewhat of a fun time on this, I laughed hard when I tried to extract the bios and got a corrupt error, muahaha.

Come on Microsoft, you can do better then this, After "SO" many builds later, its just, WOW!!!. Simply amazing, yes it is. Especially when I gone through so many test builds.

Oh, BTW, the firefox installation interrupt thingy, this is the FIRST time I have ever encountered this that I am aware of, I have never had this problem before with any other win 10 builds, there might be some I may not have tried but win 10 gotten this far and having the network issues? Not good.

Thank God I did not purchase win 10 when it was first available to buy, Very lucky I waited this long, was going to buy at that time, good thing I did not.

As it stands now, seems like win 8.1 is alot better then this, sad.

But build 14931 = Solid build, had one problem earlier, was trying to transfer from a backup hdd to the main drive, got a blue screen but that was the only time that happened, no bigge.

Must be fixed asap or future builds ain't going anywhere.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  6. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I upgraded my main OS install to this build to properly install MS store PAID games.

The corrupt downloads is fixed but i had to uninstall ESET smart last version antivirus to allow proper internet functionalities like...any kind of downloads.

Windows updates are broke here:

• Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.231.1641.0) - Error 0x80070643

Cleaning update database does nothing to fix that error.

This build at last let me install Windows 10 store games in C or in any other partition. :)

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It 'works' as in runs and does its thing, BUT like with other antivirus that can install:

You have to fully remove the antivirus, not just disable it. When you do so, downloads are fine. This is quite possible related to the change in service handling, as it was that build that the antivirus issues started. Since antiviruses need 'low level' access, major changes like that to the services handling can conceivably cause issues.

Basically I think on this one we have to wait until they make a compatible build. As Insider Previews are not officially supported it might be a while before we see these.

8. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

Well this has never happened before on the builds i have used before.
    Never used the one before this one.

I'll look foward to the build after this one though and might
    Give that one a try.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  9. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    I've tried few builds of W10 and reverted back to W7 64bit after I couldn't render simple scene without getting "cuda error at cuctxcreate: illegal address" in Blender or in Poser Pro and awful DPC, liked a lot W10, but poor performance is not worth for me to have installed

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

10. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

Thanks alot, I'll keep this in mind.

But Like I was saying earlier, even if I had av on or off, This has NEVER happened before on the builds I have used in the past, and that firefox problem, Never, this is the first time...

But yes, I'll keep that in mind that have to uninstall the av for order to download, prettie sad though, have to go back in forth, lol.

Looking foward for the next build.

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

If they want it released in March as suggested, there will need to be some compatibility improvements with AV software, media related stuff (such as the CUDA crash mentioned above) etc. Both scenarios involve low level access to hardware in some shape or form. I also believe there are some issues involving media playback and the use of madVR etc (with AMD but also Nvidia) on some devices also. It probably lies with a compatibility break with certain functions of the driver which is why it is noticeable in functions such as media player but games work (for the most part).

It is beta test software and compatibility is not guaranteed, the main thing is the compatibility issues are resolved in a timely manner. March isn't far off, realistically I would hope that the companies are working on compatibility now and not leaving it which is the traditional thing to do. For example, when Windows 10 was released despite it being available to testers for a long time there were still companies that didn't have Windows 10 compatible software when it was released. Really no excuse for that. Back then they could get away with it for a little while since the number of customers affected were small, as the transition to Windows 10 took a while. However now, these milestone releases are distributed quite quickly.

Simply put, come March if they haven't got full compatibility in place, they have absolutely no valid argument as to why they hadn't done it. It is understandable if it were some compatibility issue that is not known about, but there should be no excuse for those issues that are known. That is, advanced media playback, CUDA compatibility, antivirus compatibility etc. I would think most of the reputable companies would have these in a timely manner before the 'thus far' March release of RS2 is due.

12. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    Running perfect for me, and the stuff I normally do, looking forward to the end product!

13. citrixscu

citrixscu Member

GPU:
    Strix 1080 Ti OC
    Steam client beta update today adds overlay support for x64 games in insider preview builds.

14. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
  15. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

16. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
  17. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
  18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    have any of the fancy new builds if the UAC bugg where it no longers displays always on top?

19. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Never had a problem with uac fars I know, so far so G@@D...