Palit GTX680 Jetstream 2GB - unstable @stock

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by mac_aaron, Apr 27, 2012.

1. mac_aaron

mac_aaron Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX680 Jetstream 2G
    I got it yesterday, half a night of testing and all I can say is :bang:

System specs:
    CPU i5-2500k @ stock (for testing)
    MOBO MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3)
    8GB DDR3 ADATA
    PSU Corsair AX750

I put the card into PC, connected 6+8pin, run Heaven 3.0, running good and then @ flying ship cannon black screen and
    d3d11appwindow::swap_window(): device removed

I tried bench @ stock with Afterburner, PrecisionX, Palit Thunder Master, no program @ all and so on. Stock power, +150% power, max voltage - nothing helped.
    Tried switching PCI-E ports, cleared CMOS, stock clocked my CPU.
    All this did me no good.
    Going with approx -100MHz on core makes the card stable. I already filled RMA with my supplier, but maybe someone here has any other idea what to do? RMA takes quite a bit of time and I'd really have this card by May 5th (Sniper V2).

Last idea is to update the mobo BIOS, since it's older than GTX680, but I doubt it'll help...

Should I try tampering with the GPU BIOS? I found alot of gtx680 BIOSes @ techpowerup, but since my last card was AMD I have no idea how to flash nV. Would this even help? I could try flashing to Palit BIOS with nV stock clocks and try manually OCing it, but is it worth the try?

regards
    unhappy Palit user

2. juke

juke Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070
    Those programs that you mentioned are overclock softwares and all those you mentioned after are overclocks. Are you sure you are benching at stock?

The card should have no problem and be very stable at stock. If it doesn't, you should just have it RMA'd rather than modify it with uncertainty, which will void its warranty.

3. mac_aaron

mac_aaron Guest

GPU:
    Yeah I'm positive, although the stock for this card is 1084MHz (as it is factory overclocked) as we can see here.

I think I'll just swap the BIOS with the 1006MHz one to get it stable and OC manually, as I don't want to wait for the RMA being processed. And still playing with the BIOS won't do me no harm, as here in Poland you can return any unused item within 10 days of initial purchase. I believe noone at the shop will check if it was tampered with ;)

4. jimmy545

jimmy545 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 580
    But Palit sold you a defective product. Make sure they make amends or they'll just laugh at you :bounce:

5. mac_aaron

mac_aaron Guest

GPU:
    Quoting Del the Funky Homosapien - "Time is too expensive". Sending the card to the reseller (+paying shipping), waiting for them to contact Palit (we're in Poland), waiting for Palit to decide if fixing or replacing, waiting for them to ship the card back to the shop and back to me. Whoa no, thanks - I'd rather try fixing it myself. If I don't manage, well the RMA's been placed and the card is going back to them. But if I can handle myself, why not? I'll give it a try.

6. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    What a shame, got one myself and everything is running fine. Hope you get it sorted its a beast of a card. Very quick. I was testing it in Stalker COP last night was getting 140fps :)

I actually had to buy a new board to get it working though. It refused to post on my MSI P67-GD53 board. Could the issue lay with the board? Are you able to test the card in a different machine?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  7. juke

juke Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070
    Doesn't the shop offer a replacement warranty? Shops here in the Philippines have 3-7 days replacement warranty if found defective. If in case they don't want to replace the product, I argue to them that I bought a brand new product and paid the price of a brand new product, therefore I expect a brand new product to take home

8. mac_aaron

mac_aaron Guest

GPU:
    Note that it was a remote purchase and any action taken requires sending papers to the seller. Filing complaint only on paper, if you call them - you have no proof you did...
    I can either return it within 10 days as not used (although not true)
    or make a claim it's defective and wait (they have 14 days to reply me, then added time for whole procedure)
    or have it repaired/replaced by Palit (that takes even more time).

@harkinsteven
    My board is MSI too, the Z68A-GD65 (G3) - I will try updating board BIOS before I do anything with the card. I finish my work in 1h and will start double checking everything again.

9. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah I saw that, thats why I suggested the issue with the board. MSI just told me to send it back for a RMA.

Here is the latest Bios from MSI forums.

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=151148.0;attach=9550

10. mac_aaron

mac_aaron Guest

GPU:

11. jimmy545

jimmy545 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 580
  12. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Try approaching the problem from your CPU side.

The CPU has your pci-e controller, and you may be able to give that more power to help things out.

For a 2500k, I think that's your VCCIO voltage (and amp limit, if you can adjust it).

-scheherazade

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  13. mac_aaron

mac_aaron Guest

GPU:
    OK flashed with Palit 1006MHz BIOS, OC'ed manually with Precision X
    +60Mhz Core, +600Mhz mem, (1150Mhz core and 7200Mhz mem) stable.

[​IMG]