Is my ATI HD4870x2 fried ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Mr.Black, May 3, 2013.

1. Mr.Black

Mr.Black Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870x2
    Hello mates,

After solving my "VPU Recover error" http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=373867 back in Jan 22, 2013, i have recently encountered another problem which i presume is related to my graphics card.

While booting Windows 7 red dots appear all over my screen making impossible to access desktop, windows freezes at the login screen switching from red dots to white lines and white dots, and always the same scheme. In order to access my desktop i have to start in safe-mode, restart, and after that the problem disappears for some time. It isn't a persistent problem it appears randomly, i'd say 1-2 times a week (it was 5-10 times a week but after i refreshed the thermal paste on the GPU it had some effect). The same problem appears randomly on desktop, sometimes while browsing the internet or working in photoshop. Strange fact: i never experienced this while playing.

Analyzing the problem i concluded to the fact that my graphics card is totally fried, or almost. As i stated above i refreshed the thermal paste on it thinking it might help, it did, but not much, the problem still exists. And if there may be questions in this direction, my GPU is clean as a whistle.

Another thought was of faulty RAM, but nothing came out while testing with Memtest86+ V4.20, my RAM has passed the tests... When i did the tests i didn't remove RAM cards to test each one of them, i left all of them in their slots, i presume the test went overall and if a RAM card would have been damaged i would have received an error.

Here is my build:
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
    Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
    Motherboard: Intel X58 Platinum
    RAM: 3 GB Kingston
    Graphic Card: ATI Radeon HD 4870X2 with the latest update
    PSU: EPSILON 80PLUS 700 - Total power 700W

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

P.S.: I noticed this issue after making an update of W7, still i don't think it's a software issue, but i'll give it a try reinstalling my Windows.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    So this never happens while gaming?

3. Mr.Black

Mr.Black Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870x2
    Never, that's the odd part... i can even leave my PC idle with a game on for like 4 hours and nothing happens, it runs smoothly. Anyway, i'm getting ready for a w7 reinstall.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Your card isn't fried then.

Tiny dots can mean overheating vram, is it possible your fan isn't spinning fast enough in 2D mode?

Can u post a screenshot?

Last edited: May 3, 2013

5. Mr.Black

Mr.Black Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870x2
    Sure, here it is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I mean a screenshot of the dots/lines etc....

7. Mr.Black

Mr.Black Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870x2
    When it will happen again i will surely post. I forgot to mention an important detail, red dots are appearing from windows POST and they continue to remain during boot, which results a freeze at the login screen and a switch to white lines and white dots.

8. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Do you have red dots right from the start: from sistem POST (before Windows starts to boot) or when you enter the BIOS? This is very important because if you see all kinds of artifacts (dots, lines...) on screen before Windows starts to boot then that is no good, probably hardware failure (graphic card, PSU, cables from PSU to graphic card, contacts on PCIEx slot...) and also that artifacts are nor (corrupted) drivers related.

Take that graphic card in hand and check visualy for damaged capacitors, something like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNS4rzNcCh0 ...or: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9gxk5HQgLU

9. Mr.Black

Mr.Black Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870x2
    Unfortunately, yes, i do see red dots from the start of system POST, before Windows boots. And i continue seeing them through Windows boot until i get a freeze at login. Anyways as i wrote above, it isn't critical, this issue appears 1-2 times a week, in order to get rid of it i switch to safe mode, restart, and back to normal again.

PSU was broken once, something minor as far as i remember, cables can't be because i recently opened my box to check if everything was ok... I will eventually strip the card off and see if there aren't any damaged capacitors... although i don't see how can it help, i will have to buy a new card.

Thanks for the help Pill Monster and CrazY_Milojko.

10. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Damaged capacitors are easy to replace, it can be done in minutes in every electronic repair service. Purpose of those capacitors is to filter/stabilize the current flowing from PSU to GPU, memory and other components on the PCB of the the graphic card. In most cases they are damaged by graphic card overheating (overclocking), in most cases in badly ventilated computer cases. Offten they can be also damaged by low-quality PSU's or half-damaged PSU's. Sometimes the damaged capacitors can be seen by eyes like on those Youtube videos I've sent you in previous message, but sometimes they are just old and too weak to filter/stabilize current on graphic card right from the cold start. First signs of damaged/weakened capacitors is that sometimes you have to start/reset computer few times until those bad capacitors get worm enough so they can work so so. As time passes because od damaged capacitors artifacts and problems while computer cold start can become more frequent.
    Don't give up on that 4870x2 yet, if capacitors are the only problem that's easy to fix.

11. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Also try to reseat graphic card in PCIEx slot, when you do that clean contacts in PCIEx slot and graphic card contacts (those contacts who are entering in PCIEx slot) with some hard eraser like STAEDTLER Rasoplast Combi (Art. no. 526 BT30): http://www.staedtler.com.au/rasoplast_au ...use blue side of the eraser for graphic card contact cleaning.
    I would also tried with some other PSU just in case if some capacitors in PSU are also damaged

12. Mr.Black

Mr.Black Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870x2
    Thanks a lot CrazY_Milojko, i will keep your advices in mind!