I need help choosing a monitor.

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Anfield82, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Hi guys,

As the title suggests I'm currently trying to find a monitor for my upcoming build, probably within the next 2-3 weeks. I will be using it for gaming 9 times out of 10 so quality is important. 23 or 24 inch would be the best size and I don't mind what brand.

Basically, I just want a nice quality monitor that isn't going to cost too much, under £200 would be great. The reason I'm asking for help is because I'm stuck on what to get so I would be grateful to hear the advantages of IPS, LED etc. As it's predominantly for gaming I imagine I will need a quick response time?

Thanks in advance :)

2. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    I've just got a 16:10 IPS Dell Ultrasharp U2412M and I think its fantastic.
    I had a 16:9 before and the extra height is great, but some people prefer 16:9 over 16:10 for gaming.....

The screen is around £225.

3. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I believe that Dell has the best monitors. Best warranty also. Any problems at all,they replace it. Usually with something better. Happened to me a couple of times. I had a 27 inch,and had a pixel issue. Dell replaced it with a 30 inch. No questions asked.

4. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Thanks man. It looks like a good monitor, 16:10 and 1920x1200 res which is nice. Is 8ms alright for gaming?

5. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    No problems here :)

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

8ms is too slow for gaming, you should aim for 5ms or less. Since 5ms or less monitors are typically TN panels, you should be aiming at a monitor that does 2ms :)

The 8ms of the Dell does not mean it isn't a great monitor, its just it utilises a different LCD technology. You have the choice of either having a great picture that may lead to ghosting in fast motion scenes, or a reasonable picture that can cope with fast action. A decent LED TN panel is the 'best' for gaming. Some will disagree with that and say that 8ms is fine, but I am one of those people that definitely notices the ghosting artifacts. If you have ever seen a CRT computer monitor at 60Hz, and can actually see it flicker, then you definitely and absolutely do not want a slow response time. Different people have different perceptions of what is around them, many people cannot see the flicker, and the same people are most likely not noticing the disadvantages of a slow response time on a computer monitor.

7. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Sounds good, I like hassle free warranty :) I think I will probably go for a Dell.

8. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Thank you, I will take all of that into account. I'm not looking for the most insane monitor in existence just good quality and good for gaming. Do you have any suggestions for a decent monitor that has 2ms response time? I would like to do some comparisons.

Thanks again.

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The two off the top of my head that I would recommend are the Asus VS248H or the Samsung S24B350H (this replaces the S24A350H which was last years model, so the S24A350H should be avoided if its still being sold). Both have a 2ms response time and are excellent monitors both quality and value wise.

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    If its a quality picture that you want go for either a Dell U2410 24inch which has a wider Gamut than the Dell U2412m model or if you want to go bigger the Dell U2711 27inch.

Both of these monitors give 6ms,which i find is no different to a 2ms TN,i mean it is millseconds not seconds.

I have owned both and i recommend both,Dell also have an excellent rma process,they will pick up your monitor and drop you a new one off with no questions,especially regarding dead pixels.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012

11. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Thanks Vet. Nice monitors but a bit too expensive to be honest :/

12. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Thats what I decided - I'd have got the 2410 if I could, but the differences didn't warrent the extra £120 so I got the 2412

13. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    As long you avoid anything from samsung you should be fine.

14. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    and any response time 8ms and under will give you a ghost free image.

Apple's Cinema Display with 15ms however... lol

15. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Thanks man. No way am I going near an Apple display, they are like mirrors.

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    This is a fantastic display if you can stump up £260 (only!).
    http://www.ebuyer.com/284100-lg-dm2...r-led-backlight-tv-tuner-1080p-vga-dm2780d-pz
    LED backlit 27", a TV and has Passive 3D !!

I bought one because it looked so well featured and have been after a larger monitor with good 3D.
    Damn its good!

It makes an excellent 2D monitor, it can go very bright and is very configurable.
    Luckily you have full control over the backlight strength and for late night viewing there is a power saving button on the remote for quick light level changes (yup it has a good remote too :)).

3D is much better than i expected, and I hoped for quite a lot being a 3D veteran.
    There is a 2D to 3D option which works really well for TV/video and is pretty neat on 2D Blu Ray as well.
    Its not as good an effect as 3D Blu Ray or PC 3D, but its very watchable, I use it all the time for TV and 2D video.
    It can display broadcast 3D (side by side mode) which the NVidia 27" 3D monitors all seem to lack.
    Its also less than 1/2 the price of those monitors!

Gaming and Blu Ray 3D is stunning.
    Even though it is half res, you rarely notice.
    The 1/2 res gives a large advantage in gaming framerate over full 1080p 3D monitors.
    The image is a good brightness (brighter than shutter glasses monitors) and there is very little crosstalk, if any.
    Lack of crosstalk also allows you to set the stereo depth very high, yes indeed, and the higher brightness makes it very immersive and clear.

It uses Tridef 3D software which works extremely well on Nvidia cards as well as ATI.
    I've played Skyrim, dirt 2 and X3:Albion Prelude and all 3 are amazing.
    I had to mod a profile to get Dirt2 to look good, I found a profile online for X3:AP

Skyrim is a dream on this monitor, the best 3D experience I have ever had.
    Dirt2 is practically as good, absolutely phenomenal.
    X3 looks great but I only gave it a quick go, playing too much of the other games :)
    I've heard Trine 2 is brilliant too.

It will take you some time to get used to all the features and get it calibrated, its got a ton of features.
    Luckily it has a lot of different image setups so you can configure it for all the different inputs and uses.

There are 2 HDMI ports, SCART, component and composite inputs.
    With max backlight strength, it uses 24W in lowest power mode and 42W in highest.
    There is about 100ms lag when using frame interpolation so I turn that off (cant tell the difference anyway) and cant notice any lag now :)

It comes with the wrong glasses which they will replace, it doesnt look that bad with the wrong ones, sometimes it looks a bit better if you rotate your head down 45 degrees to the left.
    The correct glasses fix the issue.

If you get any trouble sorting the glasses with LG support, I can give you LG head offices phone number, they sorted me right away.

To sum up, its a great 27" 2D monitor with a free TV and great "passive" 3D for a really low price.
    Oh yeah, it has touch sensitive controls on the monitor too, and looks great.
    (the sound is really tinny, its only bad point. Use a hifi or computer speakers.)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  17. OmniShift

OmniShift Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 DCU2 OC
    I've got an Iiyama Prolite E2407HDSD and I'm loving it! Excellent picture quality, very sturdy foot and hasn't given me even the slightest problem yet. It should be well within your budget. The only downside is the placing of the built-in speakers. They're in the back, so you'll won't get good sound quality from those. But I assume you got a headset or speakers of your own, making the built-in ones obsolete. Only if you do want good speakers in your monitor, you should choose another model. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with this :D