Laptop not connecting to internet?

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by williamholden2, Nov 8, 2015.

1. williamholden2

williamholden2 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    My old laptop that I used on a day to day basis for browsing, I also did some actually (surprisingly) heavy gaming on it, I could play the Crytek F2P FPS Warface on low settings at a reasonable 20-30 FPS, but it has recently just stopped connecting to the internet, it is a Toshiba Satellite C50-B, got it from Argos. I turned the laptop on one day and in the corner the network icon was the wifi symbol but dark black meaning there are no connections available. I tried to enter the factory reset menu but it says "Error: no image to reset from" or something like that. I can't refresh it either, I have tried everything from disabling and re-enabling the network adapter, resetting the router, wiring and ethernet cable, booting into safe mode, booting into advanced mode, resetting the BIOS settings to default, (even though I never changed anything) And nothing ever works, this is on Windows 10, it also happened in Windows 8.1, and that was when I had to get it replaced.

Any help?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Reinstall the network adapter / chipset drivers?

3. williamholden2

williamholden2 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    Tried that. Doesn't work :/.

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    First of all,you need to know if it is a hardware problem,or software related.
    Have you acces to another computer? If so, kindly make yourself a live Linux CD.DVD or USB.
    Boot your laptop from it and see if it connects by cable/wifi.If so,it is a software problem within W10.
    If not, could be a hardware problem,WiFi modules can go bad even if it shows in hardware management.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Try opening an Elevated CMD and type:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Wait for it to complete, it will look like it's hanging at 20%, but just wait

After that completes, type:

sfc /scannow

Hit enter, wait for it to complete, and see if it repairs anything, then reboot

--
    Have a look in services.msc and see if anything network related is disabled

Other than that, might be just as quick to reinstall Windows

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    i academically insist - if it is a hardware problem?
    Just saying the ifs and thens in the flowchart.
    sorry Extraordinary,you always are trying to help and i don't want to step on your toes,really.
    have my respects

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Don't worry about it, the more ideas the better :)

8. haz_mat

haz_mat Guest

GPU:
    1070 FE
    This is good advice.

I wish I had found your post when I was having issues with the Killer LAN on my MSI GE62. Uninstalling the killer suite nuked the networking like I've never seen before. Nothing would connect - even after re-installing the Killer driver-only package along with the Intel wifi driver.

All the NICs showed up as normally operating devices but nothing would connect or even show its own MAC address in the adapter properties window.

I ended up just doing a re-op from the recovery partition and just disabled the Killer crap.

9. Alisha45

Alisha45 Guest

GPU:
    dell
    Do other computers connect on that modem/router?

Please tell us more about your laptop and the network you are attempting to connect with and it's location (home, business, school, etc).