World Of Tanks

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Noisiv, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  2. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah, I've watched some of Sidestrafe's Youtube vids. It looks like fun.

Too many games...

3. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    This tends to be my go-to game when i get bored with other games, good fun and highly recommend it. German tanks are my favorites.

4. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    What's the deal with gold ammos btw? I heard really bad views on how they are pay-to-win items. Is that the case or is that unfounded accusation?

5. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Ha, gold ammos...in the real world, that'd be the weakest ammo ever.

6. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    WoT: best concept with worst implementation. :D
    Yes, game is f2p. Entirely. If you're a Chinese or something. You have to grind your a$$ for a high tier tank and keep a mid tier (or more) for farming credits. But it's doable.

But if you have some money to spare life is suddenly easy. Premium account and Premium tank(s). None of those give you an advantage on the battlefield but with Premium account you gain 50% more credits and XP and with Premium tank(s) you can farm credits (and XP which can be converted to free XP but you need gold).

Gold ammo in randoms is useless. Basically gold amo gives you higher penetration so instead learning each tank weakspots you just point-and-click.
    Gold ammo is used in Clan Wars and in some ESL/whatever tournaments. Of course some players from good clans which have free gold can use gold ammo on randoms for trolling because they don't pay for it.

Unfortunately WoT has some major drawbacks (or fundamental design flaws):
    - matchmaker/balance. It's a game breaker for mid tiers (4-5-6). it will be improved sometime.
    - spotting system. Sometimes a steel beast just disappear in front of you on a plain field.
    - critical hits for 0 damage. Annoying, you take best position, fire and you're doing 0 damage to target.
    - too much random factors. You have ±25% random penetration, ±25% damage and sometimes accuracy of the gun is random too. Here I can put random teams too. Sometimes I'm asking myself if behind the monitor are monkeys or humans. :D

Those are my major gripes with WoT. But despite those I'm playing it like mad since February 2011. 55 games/day. Almost 25,000 games played until now.
    Game is addictive, you can play alone like a lone wolf, you can play with a friend in platoon (on standard account) or with 2 friends (on Premium account), you can join a clan and play Clan Wars and (maybe) gain some free gold.
    It's not mandatory to reach latest and baddest tanks, you can find some tanks you like and play them as long as you wish. Also you can choose from 4 nations (Germany, USA, USSR and France) and each nation has his own peculiarities (basically German tanks are snipers, USSR tanks are brawlers, French tanks are hit-and-run and US tanks are hull-down kings).
    Each nation has different branches, light tanks, medium tanks, heavy tanks, tank destroyer and artillery so you can choose what fits your style better.
    Every tank is upgradable. It's a Major difference how the tank behaves when it's stock and with crew at 75% and when it's fully upgraded with crew at 100% in primary skill and some 2-3 supplementary skills/perks.

Also you have to train your crew (they have skills and perks) and equip your tank with modules and consumables which improves your tank/crewman performance.

And the game is not so easy if you want to play it seriously. You have to learn each map (for choking points, for how to use terrain in your advantage and so on), you have to learn each tank weakspots (because you cannot penetrate it everywhere), you have to learn how to avoid some artillery shells and so on.

Also the game is moddable. There are plenty of mods which improves the look and feel without giving you any advantage on the battlefield. This is how it looks now for me.

[​IMG]

For the beginners I highly recommend WoT wiki page. Here you can learn basic stuff about game mechanics.

Enough for now and if somebody is interested I can answer further questions.
    BTW this is my WoT EU profile. :nerd:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  7. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    A small request for readers of PC Gamer UK which don't play WoT (living here in far-far East Europe I don't have access at such promotions).
    In September issue of PC Gamer it's a code for M22 Locust & 3 days Premium.
    I'll be grateful if somebody which don't play WoT can send it to me via PM.

Thanks.

BTW, today is the 0.7.5 patch day. A lot of new stuff added.

8. metaltoiletry

metaltoiletry Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870
    I love this game - it's pretty much all I've been playing for the last several months.

Currently I have four tier 7's (nearly a tier 8) and several more tier 6s and 5s.

I usually spend money on the cheapest amount of gold (like $7), then get premium for 24 hours at a time over the course of a couple weeks. I like that I can hop into a game for a few minutes, and if I die, I can immediately start another match with another tank - and so on.

Apparently the 7.5 patch is supposed to improve the match maker - so you don't see tanks four tiers above you in matches. It's also bumping the tier on all my french light tanks, but is also giving me another one for free! :D

9. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    just got into this recently. for a free game I think it's bloody good.

tempted to buy some gold in this to unlock a tank or two...

matchmaking is fixed so you dont play against uber troll tanks.

p.s so far like like my stuart tank the most.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  10. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    New update. More tanks and updated maps.

Game on!

Oh and you can apply for beta testing for World of Warplanes.

11. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    game is very enjoyable if:

* runs smoothly on your pc
    * you dont get 0dmg shooting / or have a 100% trained crew
    * if you fight with same or 1level better thanks than yours..

everything is secondary..

12. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    runs great for me, i have been doing alright with 50 percent crews (although I have been buying 75% on a few tanks), and yeah sometimes when you are up against several ranks higher it's a bit silly.

still then i try and scout more and stay alive...was a tier 4 scout against tier 9 several times, and actually survived more or less 50/50. (it does make a huge difference if you know the map and know where's safe(ish).

most of the time though the matchmaker is pretty good.

13. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    looking for some feedback how this runs in either 580 sli or 7950 xfire or 660 ti sli...

14. BraveSoul

BraveSoul Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX970 AMP Extrm
    im loving this game, hooked
    like 15months for me now

a lot of tanks to choose from, my favorite line is the german Tiger, well armored, accurate gun, decent mobility

15. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    It's a good game for what it is, free. But I am not a big fan of the payment model. The tanks cost over £20 for one tank. On top of that you the trolls and rage kids who constancy spam chat telling you or the team they suck. Then you get the players who love shoot their own tanks, just for kicks and laughs. This happens in all F2P games though, and the primary reason I avoid them.

16. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    the game is a peace of crap when it comes to real gaming.. if you get better position vs enemy..
    You can shoot 3time at him and deal 0damage while he turns you shoot 4th time dealing 300-500damage while he kills you in 2shots.. ( tier 7-9 games)

oops it seems i can see here i made rant post just slightly above.. really liked this game until "unlucky situations" started to happen more often..

17. BraveSoul

BraveSoul Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX970 AMP Extrm
    i got hooked right away, other games had no chance so far, made couple fun videos recently check it out

18. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
  19. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    obsidian is making a f2p tank game that should be interesting.....

20. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    so we have 3 by then? Issnt WoT and Ground Focres enough? Seems not...