Tweaking ?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by DC42, Jun 25, 2007.

1. DC42

DC42 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTX
    Hello all..I recently switched to a 22" LCD and the visual quality is outstanding. However in some of my games I get a shimmering I did not used to see with my 21" CRT. I tried to use riva tuner to clean it up. I have vsync and triple buffering on. Latest Nvidia drivers, 8800 gtx card. Messing with the negative LOD bias was recommended. Can anyone give me a few tips on sharpening up the image a tad?

I use AA, AF in the NV control panel or game based on what I am playing.

Hope my ? was clear.

Thx,

DC

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

You're talking about getting rid of shimmering and sharpening up the image at the same time. That's impossible.
    Sharpening and shimering are completely opposing things. Shimmering is a result of too sharpen image (caused by setting LOD bias too low). So if you're trying to get rid of sharpening, you've to increase LOD bias. But it will make the image more blurred. And if you're trying to sharpen up the image filtered with AF you've to decrease LOD bias. But it will increase shimmering too.

3. DC42

DC42 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTX
    ok so without the game in front of you with all settings off (aa, af). The LOD slider at zero what would be the best place to start? Move the slider a bit?

Thanks,

DC

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Move LOD bias slider to the right till shimmering become invisible for you.

5. DC42

DC42 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTX
    thx!

6. Kakaru2

Kakaru2 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800GTX 768MB
    Or the shimmering could be because you're not used yet with the switch from crt to lcd. Something similar happened to me but I got over with in a couple of weeks.

7. DC42

DC42 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTX
    You could be right. There is a bit of an adjustment. I like racing games and some of the issues are found on 3rd party add on tracks. Maybe textures are not consistent with the original games?

Cheers..

DC