Monitor doesn't work due to Video Card installation.

Discussion in 'Videocards - 3dfx' started by username, May 24, 2003.

1. username

username Guest

I tried to install a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI on my integrated system. In the adapter tab, I selected "Change" then Windows searched for new drivers. I selected "Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)" I restarted the computer and the colors were al messed up (suppose to happen). I shut down the computer, installed the Voodoo, and turned it back on. This is when the screen was blank. So, what should I do?

*EDIT* Well, the computer is back to normal. But what do I do about this situation?

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2003
  2. Aropredator

Aropredator Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RS 3090 OC 24G
    Did you already completely disable the integrated video and remove its driver from windows?
    And you mentioned your PC back to normal, does it mean it working good right now?

3. username

username Guest

The disabling of the integrated system... how I wish I knew if that was possible. I looked all over BOIS for this option, and there was NOTHING. The only two other possibilities is that it disables itself, or you do it through jumpers (which I don't know how to do, and I don't even know what that is)

Removing the drivers? I'm not sure. How exactly do I do this? The only thing I did is what I typed in my previous post.

The computer is back to normal, the way it was before the installation. I have a restore utility program and was able to get the computer in good working condition.

4. Aropredator

Aropredator Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RS 3090 OC 24G
    Ok. Do you know your motherboard brand or model? I'll try to dig info about your mobo if you can provide it. Or if you PC was built by IBM or HP or company like that, tell me the exact model name.

5. username

username Guest

Trust me whe I say this: Finding info about my motherboard is IMPOSSIBLE. It's been done by me and others, and nothing has come up. I can guarantee you there is no documentation for it. My computer is a Sony VAIO PCV-E204 (specs on the right).

I installed a diagnostic tool (Sandra Standard), and it determined that my motherboard is a "Hapuna2." The thing is, searching for it on Google yields results for Hawaii resorts.

6. Aropredator

Aropredator Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RS 3090 OC 24G
    According to manual I get from here
    ftp://ftp.ita.sel.sony.com/ccpg/pc/docs/pcve204.pdf
    there option to disable onboard video in bios under Power Setting.
    Or if still not working, try just disable the onboard ATi using Windows hardware device manager and put in your voodoo3.

7. username

username Guest

Can you tell me what feature in the Power Setting Disables it?

Also, if that doesn't work and I remove the drivers from device manager, do I install the new drivers before or after putting in the card?

Thanks for your help.

8. Aropredator

Aropredator Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RS 3090 OC 24G
    power->advanced options->keyboard, mouse, video (enable/disable)

install new drivers after putting in the cards (cancel new hardware wizard, run driver installation setup)

9. username

username Guest

Won't that also disable the mouse and keyboard?

Also, since the screen is blank when I install the card, is it possible to find out if it's the card at fault without installing it on another computer and seeing if it works?

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2003
  10. Aropredator

Aropredator Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RS 3090 OC 24G
    It would be better if you try that voodoo3 on other PC first and see if it work or not. However if you dont have any other PC, just put it in, hook your monitor to it and boot your PC. If you still got a blank monitor (even after you disable your onboard video), reboot back but use your onboard video as primary (leave the voodoo3 inside your PC) and let the voodoo3 be as secondary video since Win98 do support multiple display.

You can follow the guide (link below) on how to do it.
    http://www.languru.com/multimon.htm