*Official* 6600K & 6700K Owners Experience Thread

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Mr Terry Turnip, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    :banana:

I just really wanted to make one! HA!

As it's really early days for these new chips information seems quite sparse so how about we share questions and overclocks and general experiences with this new platform in one place so people can read trough and learn a bunch!

I am currently at 4.5Ghz 1.28vcore (until I get better cooling) and basically was required to do nearly nothing to get it, just changes base clock to 46 and fixed vcore at 1.3

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  2. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Nice one was thinking about doing the same. I need to find some time to experiment with OCing this cpu a bit more, with the auto tweak I hit 4.6 no issues.

3. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Cool mate what vcore?

And what temps under load may I ask?

4. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Looks to be good at 4.7Ghz at the moment temps hit a max of around 60C in benches, wont run it at that speed much just yet as it still a touch warm here.

http://valid.x86.fr/ce57iz

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015

5. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    6700k here delid got me 25c lower temps looks like intel stuck with there gunk and adhesive, apart from that not a bad clocker up to 4.6ghz at 1.23v plenty of room for more :)

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I haven't even tried to OC my 6600K yet. Actually pretty happy with it's performance at stock clocks. I may OC it later if it starts to feel sluggish though.

7. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    How safe would you say doing this is take they are idle or load temps?

8. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
    Anyone upgraded from a 2600k or something similar ?
    Was thinking about a upgrade, but not sure if the small performance gain is worth it.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Unless you are having problems with your MB or CPU i would not bother with it. Most people here changed to Skylake becouse their system was about to fail.

If you feel you need more processing power just overclock that 2600k.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    i7 2600K at 4.5ghz is more than sufficient. That's actually what I came from. I was dealing with a system failure, otherwise I'd still be using my 2600K. There is a performance improvement between Sandy Bridge and Skylake, but it hardly justifies the cost of the upgrade. Unless you're benchmarking regularly or running an FPS counter while you're gaming, you'll never notice the performance difference between an i7 2600K and an i7 6700K after the "new" wears off.....

11. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
    Ok thanks for the info guys. Some games do seem to get a boost from Skylake, but it does seem that the 2600k with a good overclock is still doing the business so I'll stick with it.

12. Erro

Erro Guest

GPU:
    GTX780, +140MHz
    After a couple of weeks of ownership, I am really pleased with my 6700k. It's great fun to be able to overclock with baseclock and after some time, I have settled for the following 24/7 OC:

• 23x 200 MHz = 4.6 GHz
    • VCore = 1.3V
    • VCCIO = 1.1V
    • PCH Core = 1.0V
    • RAM frequency = 3000 MHz (XMP), with 15-16-16-39 timings
    • Load-line = Level 6
    • CPU current capability = 100%

Think I can drop the VCCIO and PCH some more in future, but for now it work's like a charm!

13. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    good info thanks mate

14. spookydoo

spookydoo Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 980GTX 4GB GDDR5
    6700k(stock 4-4.2ghz), 850w psu, Asus z170 pro gaming, 16g ddr4, 980gtx, ssd.

Hi, I recently built a new system and slightly disapointed with it at the moment. Performance wise its good, but the heat is just unbearable even at stock speeds. It idles perfectly normaly around 23c, but when gaming its whole another story. Atm I have one of those cheap "intel-like" cpu coolers installed because I thought I could use my old thermaltake but it wouldnt fit the board. Although I think the problem isnt with the cooler. Ive seen alot of ppl online having exact same issues with 6700k - that they would idle normaly, then temps would skyrocket while under load up to 90c+ even with proper cooling. Mine does 81c in BF3, 40-60c in diablo3 - which is absured, KF2 40-70c, and so on... prime95 - 85c+...
    Ive reapplied arctick thermal paste(perfectly), but to no avail. Case has great air circulation.
    My main suspecion is that Vcore is set on auto in bios and it kinda throttles it around instead of keeping it at a steady 1.264v. Ive run prime95 and in Cpuz and Cpuid HWMonitor the voltage went from normal to 1.364v or something.. cant remeber. I was gonna try and set vcore to 1.2xx manualy, but I coudnt(all grey) till I swith the CPU_OV jumper on the MB. Ive read that one guy fried his board by doing so and now Im kinda hesitant about it.
    I was going to get a decent cpu cooler in next couple of days to resolve this utill I did some research online which got me worried about the whole build, incase I have to rma it, so I decided to check with you guys first.
    I would really appreciate if you could help.

Do you think a D14 cooler will fix this issue? or there might be something wrong with the cpu it self?

15. Erro

Erro Guest

GPU:
    GTX780, +140MHz
    A cooler like a D14 will definitely help. However, I think you're running into the issue that the VCore is in automatic mode. For stock clocks, you should be able to 1.2V or even lower and with the motherboard you have, you should be able to configure this. Make sure that at VCore you have manual mode selected and not Offset or Adaptive. Setting CPU Core/Cache voltage aka "VCore" to manual will allow you to manually set the voltage a lot lower. With a stock cooler, I would not advise to switch to extreme OC setting, which is the greyed out button.

Additionally, you can experiment with the CPU Load-line calibration and/or CPU current capability. These two settings also have a large impact on your heat output and OC-ability. Turning them from Auto to a lower setting might help reduce the heat output as well.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015

16. spookydoo

spookydoo Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 980GTX 4GB GDDR5
    Yes I know that, but I cant set vcore manualy until I switch the cpu overvoltage(CPU_OV) jumper on the board and I heard it could be risky coz apparently some dude ended up frying his rig after making this change... - Can this really happen? Should I go ahead and try? btw Im not going to overclock any time soon, I dont see any need for it atm.

17. Erro

Erro Guest

GPU:
    GTX780, +140MHz
    You should not need to use that switch to change your voltages. For reference, I have the same BIOS and am able to change the voltages without fiddling around with the jumper switch. Can you clarify where you are trying to alter the VCore in BIOS?

18. spookydoo

spookydoo Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 980GTX 4GB GDDR5
    In the Ai Tweaker. Over voltage was disabled so did switch to pins 2 and 3 as says in the manual and now can alter vcore. Ive set it to manual 1.264, did some tests. Ive noticed less volitility with cpu voltage, it never goes above 1.296v under load. Also noticed drop in cpu temps. Singlethreaded games like diablo droped by about 20-25c, multi like bf3 didnt drop as much - went from 81 to 75-77c. I think it just shows that this cooler wasnt designed for multicore cpus - especially when all cores are fired up. Also tested gta5, it runs around 45c when there isnt much activity, but when sh*t starts flying it rockets straight in to 60s.
    Im gonna get a decent cooler, probably by tomorrow and see what happens. If temps will continue to be higher than normal I will exchange cpu or whatever else that is faulty for new.
    I think Im going to go with D14, also was considering Coolermaster Evo or Zalman(not sure which one), I know this is a 6700k thread, but any suggestions?

btw we have slightly different MBs, I assume bios might differ too.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  19. Erro

Erro Guest

GPU:
    GTX780, +140MHz
    That is odd. On all the reviews/videos of z170 pro gaming, you can change the voltage settings without switching the jumper. Perhaps an update of the BIOS might help, although you seem to have it working now.

For stock clocks, I think you can lower the VCore even further down to 1.2, to reduce temps even more. Alternatively, you can alter the Load-line calibration, and set that to a lower level.

Agree on getting a different cooler, that will definitely help. Note on thermals though: when I compare this cpu to my old 3930k, it gets quite hot, but does not generate a lot of heat. The 3930k could get hot, but also produced a lot of heat. So you might not have to go all out on a D14, when something smaller will do as well.

20. Mugsy

Mugsy Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Pulse
    Those default intel coolers (or anything alike) are **** when dealing with load (no pun intended) on a 4ghz cpu, especially with intel's latest cheapout on TP. Just a note, if you get a noctua, get the D15, not the D14, so you don't have to worry about RAM fitting in under the cooler.