Star Citizen Reaches A Staggering $148 Million in Crowdfunding

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 29, 2017.

1. risc32

risc32 Member

GPU:
    470, 4bgb
    i hope this all pans out, but who knows. All i know is that i distinctly remember the end game credits for crysis 2,3 and battlefield 3,4, as being really huge. i mean, of course i knew it took many hands to make such things, but i found the list of contributors just staggering in scope.

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Witcher 3 was a well produced game, I'll agree with that. But I don't agree that Star Citizen is the opposite. We don't know how much of the money he's used on the game. We don't know how much of it has been allocated to things we don't see (The entire SQ42 campaign). The things we do know about don't seem that far fetched or really outside of the norm of a bunch of other AAA projects.

And if anything the ambitious design nature of Star Citizen is just another reason why no one should expect the game to be done on a normal timescale.

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It's going to be interesting seeing this game release and Derek's realization that he spent years and years trolling for no reason what so ever....

I wonder how many years it will take Derek to finish his "Early Access" game.

4. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I think it'll be finished in reasonable time...then the users will realise they don't have enough time in their life-time to do and see everything. XD

5. Godimus

Godimus Guest

GPU:
    everchanging
    On what basis do you make these claims? Nothing at all point to vaporware.. That is just a ridiculous statement. Everything the community has wanted has happened.. They wanted planetary landings better than elite dangerous we got it .. They wanted seamless planet transitions, it happened. As far as him living off of kickstarter money .. lol So what.. Of course he is and so are all the people who have jobs because of the funding. everyone of you People that talks negative about it sound like butt hurt little boys. Its the same song with the same lyrics Blahblahblah vaporware(even though we get weekly updates) blah blah blah (funding) blah blah blah hes a crook (blah blah blah) yet everytime you people talk its get proven wrong. EVERYTIME

6. somemadcaaant

somemadcaaant Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900XT LE
    First rule of Star Citizen development; don't talk about Star Citizen development.
    Second rule of Star Citizen development; cover your eyes when you see news of Star Citizen development.
    Third rule of Star Citizen development; if news is accidentally seen of Star Citizen development, just sigh then recover eyes with extra ducttape and move on.
    Fourth rule of Star Citizen development?

7. sean_skroht

sean_skroht Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SC
    The problem with crowdfunded games such as Star Citizen is the heightened awareness of the passing of time in the games development process, especially from those that contributed money towards the product. For many, there's the natural expectation that when you pay for something, you'll receive the product in a timely manner. Unfortunately that same mindset carries over into software crowdfunding, which is part of an industry that can take years to produce a product.

For example, Chris Roberts first announced development and crowdfunding for Star Citizen in 2012, so we pretty much had a "start date" for our expectations for this game. During the 5 years, apart from small modules being released, crowdfunders still haven't seen the final product, hence they still don't have an "end date" for production. Yet during this entire time, crowdfunders have had a heightened awareness of the development process of the game which is never a good thing since it can foster a measure of impatience for the final product.

Take for example any non-crowdfunded game: because it is not a crowdfunded game and is being developed behind closed doors, it is largely out of the public eye. At this stage no-one really cares and there is no heightened expectation of if and when the game will be released, because no one contributed money towards it. Plus consumers have other things in the meantime to keep them occupied. Essentially it really is a case of "out of sight, out of mind". Half Life 3 could be one of those games, but we don't really know and, in the end, we don't really care.

There are benefits to crowdfunding a game: the developer gets the cash upfront to self fund their own game without having to rely as much on a publisher. The danger of crowdfunding: it's risky business for the reputation of the developer, especially when they are unable to deliver an already paid for product in a timely manner, due to it's ambitious nature and size of scope.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  8. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Oh yes, everything happened, and that's why there's just flying minigame, walking around a hangar and some sort of a shooting after over four years of empty talk. That's tech demo at best.
    Weekly updates? You mean that super obese disgusting dude and an asian woman babbling some nonsenses into camera?
    You can write anything you want, but that doesn't actually make things happen.

I get it, some people really want the game to happen, and love the concept (I like it too), but how many more years do you need to be blatantly lied to before you wake up?
    Two years ago, I still believed the clown's cheap talk. Today, I don't even bother reading most articles about the game.

I wonder what was proven wrong. There's still no game, right?

9. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    While I do understand that they maybe didn't start developement right away and that Chris had to mostly do other stuff, instead of working on a game, right from the start, but still the ammount of results they produced is just meager. I mean compare this to say Elite Dangerous, they started their kickstarter campaign in 2012 and had a finished product two years later.

Also the entire budget is just massive. Most games cost significantly less and majority of their funds are spent on advertising. They don't need to do that, they already sold the product they don't have for 150 milions.

10. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Andromeda took $44M (according to a few sources I could find by Googling). Despite its problems I would say Star Citizen is quite a screw up in comparison. GTA5 was 265M, but that included huge marketing budgets and other stuff - and its actually one of the best games ever made in about every meter, size being one of them.

11. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Whats the game status right now ? Is it worth playing ? it is very short ? Anyone has it ?

12. 4UJER84URF84

4UJER84URF84 Guest

GPU:
    4gb amd r9290
    Games after a long time of play can get repetitious frustrating annoying boring, I played witcher 3 for several months but its repetitious now go here kill that go collect reward same thing over and over, I hope this game star citizen does not have the same impact after several months of play, People will grow tired of waiting for this it needs to be released soon, and then updates will be forever coming to keep the game interesting, As for crowd funding a bit dodgy to me, Also over realistic ambitions spoil a what could of been a good game time will tell.

13. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    There is no game yet. Only certain elements of it which aren't even connected in any way. You can fly around in ships, you can walk in a hangar, and there's some sort of first person shooter minigame as far as I know.
    Nothing I would call a game - more like tech demos showcasing.... something.
    Pretty pathetic after over four years.

14. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Wonder if most of that money is for Ginger Lynn to be brought back?

15. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080

16. omnimodis78

omnimodis78 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080FTW
    Stop with the crook nonsense. The man is legit, the project is legit, and if people want to throw cash at it, so what? What evidence do you have that he's a crook anyways? There is a playable alpha out there, it's clearly making progress - or are you accusing a professional who has been in the business longer than you've been alive of being a crook because you don't understand how the project is managed? Oh and by the way, I'm not in the least interested in the game itself, but I find the news bit interesting.

17. Mtom

Mtom Member

GPU:
    290X lightning
    Elite tho its seems close actually a very bad comparison.
    Elite: Frontier development was a long established studio, they have the Cobra engine ready (worked on it for decades), team ready, and actually the funding. The KS was just to see if theres interest for the game.

SC: Just founded with the idea of SC before KS, no team or infrastructure (only a dozen people early 2013), had to rewrite most of the engine , funding wasnt ready.

18. Mtom

Mtom Member

GPU:
    290X lightning
    Lucky you said "as far as i know" because you know wrong.
    The parts are connected for more than a year now in the mini PU since 2.0 patch. You can get on a station, get out, get in your ship, do missions, go to another station, fight other ships, land, get out and fight other players in FPS mode all seamlessly.
    In a few months comes the 3.0 patch, bringing the planetary landings, basic professions (trading, pirating, bounty hunting, mining), new landing zones, surface outposts, item 2.0, new missions, new armors, ship control modules for multicrew, some optimization, new lighting tech, probably the new netcode, and on of other content.
    3.0 Schedule

19. Godimus

Godimus Guest

GPU:
    everchanging
    there is an alpha and update is coming soon what do you want them to do release the entire unfinished game lol
    Absolute ridiculous zero logic. you are just talking to talk and hear the sound of your own voice at this point. The procedural engine is state of the art and unlike anything ever done before. you realize the time it takes to do something like that? The manpower? So with over 200 employees its all vapor ware? please dude you sound childish and stressed out.. Maybe you had a hard life or fired from RSI .. Who knows, but nothing you stated is relevant or supports a valid argument.

20. RandomDriverDev

RandomDriverDev Guest

GPU:
    1080 / 8GB and 1060 / 6GB
    Elite launched with far less features
    less ships
    didn't have multi-crew ships or the systems that make them work.
    No planet landings
    Did not invest in the development of a compatible HOTAS control
    has absolutely no ability to leave your ship and walk around - so
    far less interior resources
    no player flyable capital class ships
    reduced complexity weapon systems

People comparing these two games are IGNORANT.

I'm not sure if Octopuss or NewTrumporder is derek smart

could be both?

Last edited: May 1, 2017