unsolder gpu from motherboard

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by SentinelAeon, Sep 8, 2016.

1. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Hi there,

I have a laptop with defectintegrated graphic card on motherboard and i was wondering, if i unsolder it, will this force the laptop to use the graphic card that is on the cpu (its 3rd generation i cpu) ?

2. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    No. You will brick the laptop.

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Don't do this, won't work

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Unlikely, the main laptop display is generally powered(displayed) by the dedicated GPU, not the integrated one.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Wouldnt he destroy the traces on PCB? :3eyes:

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I would normally keep my mouth shut, but after a few cups of coffee, i couldn't help myself.
    Everyone warned you about NOT doing it, and it is so.
    To desolder a BGA chip, the GPU in your case it is a very delicate thing to do.
    Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpwYO7tphAU
    Even if you manage somehow to clean desolder the GPU without ripping pads/traces and without doing any thermal shock damage to the motherboard(happens if is not pre-heated prior to desolder), probably it won't work.
    You should know in -depth the power rails and signals going to and from the dedicated GPU to motherboard and reverse engineering the whole process of powering the display and force the CPU GPU to take over.
    Your best approach could be BIOS modding...
    More, a defective GPU could mean a whole different story..watch this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzcgT_fiVTA minute 9.20

7. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Thank you for all the answers. I forgot to mention that this laptop is already dead. When i got it, it gave no picture. After 5 minutes of heating with hairdryer i got it to show image but it only stayed for few seconds then turned off and needed heating again. Graphic chip is dead so i was looking for ways to make this laptop usable again since it is perfectly nice laptop otherwise (i3 3210M processor). But i guess the only way left is to sell it piece by piece and cover the cost of computer.