haven't had a pc in 3 years, which windows?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Miniouse, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Miniouse

Miniouse Guest

GPU:
    2x 6950 xfx
    Hey guys, been years since I've been on here. Long story short, I used to spend about $1500-2000 (maybe $2500) on a full pc, I had to give up my hobby as I was having a son; I built my last pc almost 4 (maybe 5 years ago) and ended up giving it away to a friend 3 years ago. Now I'm looking into building a new one over some time.

Now, I've never tried any of the new 'Windows' (Anything above Windows 7). And I loved Windows 7 and have viewed it as a "Win" just like Windows XP (And Windows Vista as a pile of ****)

So I'm gonna ask you guys, what's your opinion on what OS I should use? Normally I stay a generation back for operating systems, hardware, and even gaming consoles, specifically based on prices and errors prior to fixes/updates.

Thanks in advance for all of your kindly inputted knowledge and suggestions, I want you to know that your advice and help will absolutely be very helpful and appreciated

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I think most of us are running Windows 10 now, with a handful of die-hard Windows 7 users who refuse to let go :D

3. Miniouse

Miniouse Guest

GPU:
    2x 6950 xfx
    Well from my experience with Win 7, I wouldn't blame them lol. I'm really interested in the difference between 7 and 10 in terms of size, performance, and support. but definetely haven't even looked at the price of Win 10. I heard 8 was crap which I automatically assume is correct as every other Windows Os that comes out generally is imho.

4. radosuaf

radosuaf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 6800 XT 16GB
    I'd say 8.1 if Windows, but if you build a Skylake, Kaby Lake or Ryzen system, you'll be forced to use W10 anyway if you don't want any hassle with updating Windows.
    If you had 3 years break from PC, I'd go Linux right away. Windows we all know is dying.

I wouldn't touch W10 with a 10-feet pole myself :D.

I personally use W8.1, if you ask me.

The good -> bad -> good trend is still working:
    98 -> ME -> XP -> Vista -> 7 -> 8 -> 8.1 -> 10

5. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    10, Memory compression alone makes it worth it.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If you still have a Win 7 key, the free upgrade to 10 is still active

Personally for a brand new hardware, I wouldn't be installing an 8 year old OS, DX12 is also 10 only not that much uses it atm

Try both, see which you prefer

7. Miniouse

Miniouse Guest

GPU:
    2x 6950 xfx
    I never really used much of Linux, I'm pretty sure I've used just Linux Ubuntu and had trouble trying to get games running on it. Now I've built gaming computers as well as did good over clocking and liquid cooling, some networking, torrenting, cracking games and whatnot. But not techsavvy enough for Linux I must admit

8. Miniouse

Miniouse Guest

GPU:
    2x 6950 xfx
    Definitely would be a new pc, not absolutely brand new, but latest hardware. I'm interested in the dx12 so I probably will choose 10

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Usually best to have at least used the OS you use every opportunity to badmouth, but you know... and Linux?... lol

Windows isn't dying, far from it, people will always choose Windows over linux apart from maybe the odd non gamer, MS know this which is why they can do whatever they like to it

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It's a great OS, just get the odd troll who wants to scare people away from it, and of course the whole telemetry thing, which is also included in all Windows versions from 7 upwards now anyway

The whole Touch UI / Apps thing is the main annoyance, but can be tamed

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it does? i never saw difference with it or with out it, if low memory system sure, but who make system these days and has less then 6gb majority go for 8-16gb at the minimum these days.

12. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    Someone released a patch to unpatch the Windows 7 block. So he can still use Windows 7 if he doesn't like the newer ones. See below...

http://www.pcgamer.com/user-patch-unlocks-windows-7-and-81-updates-on-kaby-lake-and-ryzen/

13. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Windows 10. Don't let the tin foil hat windows 10 haters dissuade you.

14. radosuaf

radosuaf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 6800 XT 16GB
    Not really. Any proof?

Glad you noticed nobody is using it.

If you're gaming, Linux is still not the best choice. You're left with Windows :).

I have a Windows 10 phone, my wife has a Windows 10 tablet and phone - so I am familiar with it and it's a great system for touch-operated mobile devices. I'd been also Insider from the first build until RTM and have tried to use this steaming pile OS from time to time on my desktop afterwards - the last one was with build 15002, AFAIR. So I do know how it looks like. And it's an abomination of desktop OS.

Have you seen the latest MS financials? Microsoft is going cloud all the way, soon they won't need desktop Windows anymore (they can't even name it correctly - it says 2017 Q3 but it's 2017 Q1):
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Investor/earnings/FY-2017-Q3/press-release-webcast
    For games they will have Xbox, for enterprises they'll have cloud services. There will be some sort of Windows, I guess, but definitely not a core product for MS.

It's easy to shut it down completely (or almost completely, you never know). Not so in Windows 10.

I know but we'll see what future brings.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  15. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Task manager.

16. radosuaf

radosuaf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 6800 XT 16GB
    W7 & W8 is around 1.1GB on empty desktop. What do you have in your Task Manager?

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yep, MS broke 7 purposely to try lower the market share when they realised 10 wasn't gonna hit their estimated (guaranteed) 1 billion devices within a year

In fact I think the WU problems appeared on 8.x and possibly Vista too

18. radosuaf

radosuaf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 6800 XT 16GB
    1. How old is W7 installation?
    2. How old is your installation?
    3. Did you use Disk Cleanup?

My around 1 month old 8.1 (fully updated) folder is 17GB.

19. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Win10 is the only way to go for a gaming/general purpose PC now. Turn off what telemetry can be turned off and then live with it. There aren't any regular people around who would have somehow suffered due to the information gathering. Maybe some people doing things better not talked about on open forums, but if such people used Windows in the first place, they would have been idiots. You either learn to accept it or live a sunset life with an old OS that will offer progressively less functionality in the future, whereas everybody else will get more.

If you want to game on PC, there's no choice. No need to overanalyse it or agonise over it. Just pick the parts, build your machine, install Win10, let it patch itself, install all the great games you missed, and enjoy your life (assuming you didn't get bad parts).

20. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    That means nothing. Id rather have an active resource working on sorting compression and paging, substantially lowering the amount of writes to the page file, thus your SSD. Not to mention lower overall physical memory use, once memory is actively being used.

Id rather be using more of what I pay for, than being able to brag about how I sit on an empty desktop.

21. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    That has to be one of the funniest things I've ever read. Windows is dying? LMAO. Desktop Linux is the one on life support.

I would go with Windows 10 all the way. 7 was great but it's days are done. 8 wasn't bad. It was just the desktop UI that sucked. 8.1 was better, but 10 is the best yet. Windows 10 eliminates the need for third party media players (except for discs), PDF readers, UI mods like Classic Shell and the like. They are all unnecessary now. The Edge browser just keeps getting better and actually should be the default choice on laptops and mobile devices since battery life with Edge is way better than with any other browser.