PC crashes and freezes.. out of nowhere

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by nigelltjee, Dec 7, 2014.

1. nigelltjee

nigelltjee Guest

GPU:
    r9 280x 3gb ddr5 CF
    Hi guys,

I really need your help !

First my pc specs:
    CPU: *** i7 4790K *** @ 4.6 Ghz
    MOBO: *** MSI Z87 G45 Gaming***
    GPU: *** Sapphire R9 280X Crossfire***Cooled with NZXT KRAKEN G10 and Corsair H55
    HDD: *** 2x Western digital 1TB ***
    SSD: *** 2x Samsung 840 Evo Basic 256GB ***
    RAM: *** 16GB Corsair Vengeance *** @ 1866
    PSU: *** Corsair RM1000 ***
    CPU Cooling *** Corsair H100i ***

Friday december 5th I was playing all my usual games like Battlefield 4. Nothing went wrong it was as smooth as always.
    The next day, I started my pc. It booted everything seemed fine. Started up Battlefield 4 and I got a blue screen telling me something about video blabla... but at the end of the line stood atikmpag.sys. I knew that was a Videocard failure or something. But I thaught oh well, better luck next time...
    So PC rebooted, tried to start up BF4 and my PC froze.. couldn't move anything (BF4 was started up but in the loading screen) alt+F4, ctrl+alt+delete and alt+tab nothing worked neither my mouse did.
    So I thaught ( like almost all bf4 players, It is the fault of this ****ing game) well I repaired bf4, tried it again and it froze again. So I tried Crysis 3, went all the way to startup screen, pressed resume and my pc freezed again..
    Started my pc again after some resets and hard shutdown. and well it didn't boot after a couple of times so I got in the windows repair screen.. I restored to a point before the crashes I guess it was 3rd of December. PC booted up so I thaught that was the problem. well nope, got a blue screen giving me another video error then the first but still atikmpag.sys as error. and I tried this fix, http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=363233 and it didn't help. So as last resort I refreshed my windows 8.1 in hope it was a driver related problem. everything booted up fine. installed some of my programs and all drivers, but when I installed amd drivers (14.11.2 Before windows refresh I was on 14.11.1) my screen stayed black, you know the sound when connecting a usb device right ? the sound when you plug and unplug it. well with the driver installation I only heard the unplug sound and never the plugged in sound. So I resetted my pc. Uninstalled amd drivers with DDU and installed 14.9. everything seemed fine, So I thaught lets start up BF4 well pc didn't crash but I got a directx error telling me GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG and it is hung what is an graphic driver problem. So I closed bf4 that already stopped working on his own. Searched for the error and all of a sudden my pc freezed just when browsing the internet I got a lot of Black bars in my screen. and I had to reset my pc again. Till now on my pc keeps giving me an error telling me that amd drivers has stopped working and has recovered. I get this all the time. and at the moment my screen stays black. I got 2 screens so when I boot up the left screen is all green what is normal because of my windows 8.1 theme color, but my login screen stays black, not that it is turned off but it displays black. and the only way to get out of it is to reset my pc. At this moment I am in savemode, with network connection. I did try to start up bf4 but it gave me the directx error devicehung, but it told me it were microsoft drivers and not the amd 14.9 drivers

I got way more crashes then I explained above,
    Fixes I tried,

Installed 14.9, 14.11.1 and 14.11.2 drivers nothing changed
    Tried the atikmdag.sys fix
    refreshed windows
    Dusted my pc.
    ran memtest
    tried with all sort of games same problem
    Tried to go back to baseclock of my cpu and ram (gpu is not overclocked a side of standard overclock) But I got the feeling pc boots up easier with the OC
    Tried to install directx and punkbuster trough BF4 folder

Fixes I am gonna try after I post this
    try to play and boot up without crashes with 1 card ( gonna try both of them)
    try the atikmdag.sys fix again because I did not do it after windows refresh
    And see if throwing my pc out of the window helps..

The weirdest thing is that it just happened out of nowhere. from one on the other day it started crashing. I am really desperate.. what do you guys think.. is this a Software/driver problem ( what I think and hope it will be) or is this a faulty hardware probably my gpu or mobo. I am in safe mode now without amd drivers and everything works perfect except the directx error. but it does not freeze at all.

I really hope you guys can help me out, if you need any info just ask I will respond !

Sorry for bad english it is not my foreign language

cheers,

2. Warcrysis

Warcrysis Member

GPU:
    Radeon 6900xt
    i Just posted a thread about my 280x.. Look up factory default Mem and Core clocks and use the saphire OC utility to down clock your memory and core.

i think the memory is my issue on my Vapor x 280x. but down clock fixed all my issues.

3. nigelltjee

nigelltjee Guest

GPU:
    r9 280x 3gb ddr5 CF
    Thanks but it isn't that, I am gonna send my pc to a repairshop.. probably a defect mobo or psu.. pc is not booting at the moment I can't get past the windows logo. screen stays black afterwards, already resetted windows, didn't do anything..

4. Warcrysis

Warcrysis Member

GPU:
    Radeon 6900xt
    before you do test each card alone in the system. may be one of the two is bad. but yea from the sound of things somethings ruining your day.