The Official Guru3D Mac Thread

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by orenda635, Sep 20, 2006.

1. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Thanks Orenda

Lillelj thanks for the links also

DL it now though i am stuck at 10% for some reason

2. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    It's a massive file since it's a DVD ISO. It might take me several days to download at this rate. Takes my back to the 56k dial up days.

I'd use my OS X 10.4 DVD but I don't think it works that way.

3. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    Right guys i have hit a small brick wall, and since i am such a noob i dont know how to get around it. Everything is going swimmingly, installed and what not. All i need to do to get to the Mac desktop is to enter my personal details so i am frustratingly close. BUT, i cannot pass this final hurdle because for some reason my KEyboard won't work as soon as it boots:mad::bang: so you see i can't click continue because of such a simple problem. I REALLY hope i am just being dumb and there is an easy solution to this. If it wasn't for that id be done by now.:)

PLEASE, someone provide the answer, i am sooo close. lol

4. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Are you using a USB or PS/2 keyboard. Maybe it can't pick up PS/2 ones. That might be a problem for me. You might want to try OSX86's forums.
    http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?

Still downloading. 39.5% after 13.5hrs.

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    It HAS to be a usb keyboard. It won't see the ps/2 ports at all, above that getting QE and core image fully working is a bitch, even for nvidia which has the option to just install drivers directly and not have to do it manually. And Nvidia drivers are far ahead from ATI drivers.

nope won't work, now I'm not sure if Mac redid the os x 10.4 install disks to be suited for intels or not, but it's not formatted or fitted for a PC at all. the os x86 uses an x86 darwin boot loader.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  6. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    I have a USB keyboard but after leaving it the whole day i am still at 42.87%......damn this is taking so slow.

7. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I currently have jas 10.4.6, but I'm gonna download the 10.4.8 tonight to see if it boots up. Also, how many seeders does the torrent your downloading have? I found one that has 235 seeders or so, so if you don't have this one, or don't want to start over your download, pm me for the link.

8. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    Aargh, so dam close. Thanks for replies:) wasn't what i wanted to hear but hey thats life lol. I will have to try and get my hands on USB keyboard, kinda sucks because i dont have any cash till middle of next week so i will have to just sit and wait.:bonk:
    FWIW there is in fact a way to get PS/2 keyboards and mice to work. But i dont see how it helps many people since you need a keyboard to type in in the terminal.

Links if anyone is interested?
    http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=1573
    and
    http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=35972

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  9. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    17 out of 100 seeds connected on mine right now. If I don't have to start my download over again, I could sure use a faster link.
    2gb downloaded after 17h 34min.

10. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    Just be careful you have got the right one for your system orenda. during the installation (10.4.6) it stated to me pretty clearly that it did not support the X2 AMD's. Just double check in case you have to dwnload again.
    Well i been poking around but my install has ground to a halt until i can buy a USB keyboard (so dam simple lol). Its not too bad though since i just made a partition so i can boot into either XP (as i am now obviously) and Mac which makes things a bit easier when i come back to it. which i should have just done in the beginning, but oh well, a fresh XP install and everything is nice n speedy now lol:grin:

11. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The AM2 version of the X2 3800 works so I presume the S939 version works as well. More or less an experiment. Since I've collected enough spare parts, I might even install it on my old rig instead. I'd just have to pick up a cheap DVDRW drive. I should still have 512mb of old SDRAM lying around.

12. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    You can't just install it on any system, it has to have certain specs on it.

DDR.

A cpu with sse2.

VGA with 32-64 mb depending on the gpu series.

13. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I might abandon it for now but I'll finish the download. I got an idea to make a Linux based HTPC out of my old rig.

14. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I don't have the link anymore, but somewhere there was a list of computer parts that was under like $400-$300 for a cheap ox86 that will work for it, and good performance. It was a celeron D lga system.

15. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti

16. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    Right well i got myself a USB keyboard so i am up and running now:)
    But far from finished really. Nothing works particularly well. DVD doesn't respond, no internet, rez is screwed up, lots to do. If anyone has done this before and knows the easy way i will be forever grateful lol. I dont know if i can take screenies, dont know if it works like that, but i will try. How is it going for you Scout & Orenda? Getting there i hope.

17. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I'm building a Linux box right now. I've abandoned the Mac X86 project, for now. I'd like to do it on a clean rig first. Building a Linux box instead. Just need a DVD drive, use my 40gb drive since I want to replace it with a faster SATA one anyway.

18. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    Oh ok cool, let us now when its done:)

One thing that would help tremendously would be if someone could direct me as to how to connect to the net? Obviously it would make life easier when asking questions and finding guides to set it all up correctly, instead of having to boot into windows every few minutes and going back and forth back and forth. I inserted my virgin.net install CD and it tells me clearly that there is support for my router (lists the name of it). But all it will let me install is the diagnostic tool and not the actuall setup.exe so i can connect to the internet.!
    I cant find any guides since it is specific to my virgin.net acount.

One other thing. I followed the procedure to set my Rez in utilities->terminal. But how do i save it? i type in the command and then what? if i reboot it tells me that if i reboot the command will be terminated and the info lost. which it does, and it defaults to 1024x(XXX), but i need 1440x900 or as close as possible.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  19. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I just got home, and I just extracted the iso, burning it now. it'll be done about a half hour or so, maybe 5-15 minutes actually. :D

20. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    I am almost done with my Download. 92%..... when its done i will burn the .ISO on a DVD and then put my old faithful 80GB and install it there.

EDIT: i am still a little skeptic on installing it on my laptop though