PCIe SATA3 Adapter

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by biggi_, Nov 15, 2015.

1. biggi_

biggi_ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI
    With running x58 I have no native sata3 on my board. Are the pcie sata3 adapters viable for better speed? I'm running 3 ssds and a spinner drive. I have a cheap one that I never put in, so recommendations for one are also appreciated!

2. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
  3. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I would strongly recommend go with LSI MegaRAID SAS 9260-8i or LSI MegaRAID SAS 9260-4i,those SATA 3 controllers supports TRIM which you will need as above linked Startech doesn't support TRIM or doesn't support booting OS and speeds are not true SATA 3 if you want to use with this controller SSD,with this you will not gain a lot and generally they use cheap controllers

Those LSi you can buy easily over on eBay,new one they're expensive,I've LSI MegaRAID on mine and I'm on the X58 too

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If the controller is for a mechanical drive, the Startech card is just fine as it's transfer rate is still faster than the vast majority of mechanical drives. The LSI cards would only be preferable if he's using it for an SSD.

5. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    you also have pcie2.0 which will limit bandwidth to about 4Gb anyway, it wont give you full sata 3 speeds, maybe 400-450mb/s

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The Marvell controllers are usually only good for about 250MB/s....