PSU questions

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Hyadum, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Hyadum

Hyadum Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Tuf 3080 10GB
    Hey guys, yesterday I had to switch some SATA cables in my pc and when I booted it while it was open to check everything was connected right I heard the PSU fan running a bit too loud in my opinion.
    I never really noticed it until now but yesterday it caught my attention.
    I was wondering, what's the average life span of a PSU? Right now I have a Cooler Master GX 650W bought around 2010, could it be that it's starting to wear out?
    I then started to look at some new PSU's and since I don't think I'll SLI anytime in the future I thought another 650w or maybe 750w to be safe would be enough.
    Do you guys think the Corsair RM750 is a good choice if I'm going to change my PSU?
    Thank you guys for any answers :)

PS: Also sorry I looked around but I didn't see a PSU section so I posted it in hardware, feel free to move it where it belongs if this is in the wrong section.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The PSU fan is probably running 'quite loudly' due to the load placed on the PSU. The lifespan of a PSU can vary quite considerably between different brands and different models, but any decent PSU should last a few years. The Corsair RM750 is probably a decent choice considering price and what you want it for, although there may be other options within a $30 price range.

The MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure) for the RM750 is listed as 100,000 hours, which means, on average, it is expected to last 11.4 years if running 24/7. This of course does not mean it will last that long, it could go after a year or 15 years, it's just a guide and generally, the higher the MTBF, the better off. If you turn it on and off 20 times a day, it probably won't last that long either.

The MTBF for the AX and HX series is also 100,000 hours, as are PSU's from other trusted brands. It's more of a guide than an actual empirical statement.

3. Hyadum

Hyadum Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Tuf 3080 10GB
    Would you mind giving me the other options close to the RM750 price? I'd rather not spend too much, around 100-120 Eu, but at the same time I don't want to go total cheap risking to fry something. Thanks for the answer btw :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  4. Hyadum

Hyadum Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Tuf 3080 10GB
    Alright I looked around a little bit and changed my idea about the RM750W. I've decided to look for a better quality PSU as suggested and found the Corsair AX 760w which is rated Platinum for just 40 euros more than the RM750.