GPU upgrade on current PC?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Russ369, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Russ369

Russ369 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    Im curious what people think. Is it worth upgrading my 680 to something newer perhaps? Would there be a bottleneck because of my i5-2500 or motherboard?

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    GTX 9xx series releasing next month, wait till then to decide.

3. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Off the top of my head, no I don't think it would really bottle neck your; but there are new cards coming out in a few months...

4. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Under rare circumstances there would be some bottle-necking, considerably less if overclocked to say 4.5GHz, but your board isn't up for the task.

As others have said, wait it out a couple more months.

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Wait for the 900 series like the other gurus said already. Not long now. Probably better in performance cheaper and less power usage with Maxwell. Depending on real reviews of course.

6. -Maxx-

-Maxx- Guest

GPU:
    GTS 450 1GB 824/4252 Mod
    It depends on what you need to do with your PC: if you are immune to triple A and hype train nonsense your current rig should have long life remaining.

It depends also on what resolution you are playing, 1080p is fair for your PC.

Maybe you should try some good overclock and gain some extra free performance. :)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  7. Aioras

Aioras Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    Rare circumstances? There are lots of reviews about it, over 4Ghz there are less than 5% difference between an "old" Bloomfield and the new Haswell when it comes to todays games playing at 1080p. If you put that 2500k at 4Ghz (all of them does even with stock cooler) and the new i7 4770k at let´s say 4.5Ghz the differences would be less than 10% (If you´re not using 3 top gpus sli or so...)

So afaik there is NO bottlenecking at all with his 2500k for sure, specially with only une gpu at time.

Back to the topic, I would rise your cpu a little bit and keep your GTX680 until 9 series releases, you still have a quite good Gpu for playing at 1080p

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  8. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified

Wrong... there are way to many variables to just flat out say "there is NO bottlenecking"... generally it would depend on the game and settings. OP doesn't list any specifics, so you just can't assume.

Also, check the board OP has listed in his specs, it would never OC enough to alleviate any BN.

9. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Should be investing in a decent cpu cooler and overclocking before buying a new gpu....

then revaluate things..

10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    There's nothing wrong with the CPU, I wouldn't be running it at stock though. It's so easy to OC modern I5's and I7's it's pretty much free performance.

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    He cant. Asus P8H61-I R2.0

12. Aioras

Aioras Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    I insist, I have one friend with a i7 4770k system oced to 4.4Ghz, we did bench a few games while playing (Battlefield 4, Watch Dogs, Batman Arkham Origins, Metro Last Light). We did the comparision with one HD7950 and with a CFX setup of the same cards. With my 2600k oced to 4.6Ghz the differences between both setups was almost none, I have done those test by myself.

If the guy cant overclock his cpu because of his mobo then its fine, but please find someone with a 2500k system and do some benches with yours, then come back and tell me if the cpu is making difference while playing (both cpu at around same clocks)

An i5 2500k with a low overclock is not bottlenecking any single gpu at 1080p at this moment, simply doesn´t.

By the way, read this article: 2600k vs 4770k gaming:

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1123&page=4

13. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified

Hardly the debate here, I'm not arguing 2500k vs 4770k (or any other chip for that matter), simply stating a fact that in some games\settings the cpu at stock settings will be the limiting factor (more so, then if it was oc'd).

Again, this depends on the game\settings and the expected level of performance. Please note, I said "under rare circumstances".

I'm not suggesting the OP change chips, SB is more than capable of handling newer gpu's... it's a shame he doesn't have a z68 board to go with it.

14. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Just noticed that.

Still, you can pick up an entry level Z77 for dirt cheap now. Seems a shame to have a 2500K sitting at stock.