1920x1080 on 27" vs 24"

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by AmonEcho, Aug 29, 2011.

1. AmonEcho

AmonEcho Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 560Ti
    I am in the market for a new monitor, primarily for gaming, originally I was set on getting a 27". something like the ASUS VK278Q or VK276Q....they both run a maximum 1920x1080 res, but i then heard that the screen would be to big, and running that resolution on a smaller screen would look far better for gaming, extra pixel density etc...and that for the 27" I would have to place it farther away from my head while playing....

If not a 24" I would go for a 24" like LG W2486L...

Does anyone have any opinions on this, unfortunately my budget wont allow me to go for a 2560x1440 27" screen...?

Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  2. ReLaps3

ReLaps3 Banned

GPU:
    XFX HD5770 1gig ddr5
    I upgraded my samsung 24" for a samsung 27" and my games look great....IMO 27" is the perfect size for gaming.....and no, the screen doesnt look to big, its perfect!

I recommend you get a 27" with a max 2ms refresh, dont get one with a 5ms.

Id also recommend either ASUS or Samsung

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Welcome to the forums AmonEcho :)

27" will be fine, its what im going to from a 1680x1050 22", i have been debating wether to go for the Samsung SA27350H, or the Asus VE278Q, but after reading all the good reports on the Asus, im going for that.

I think its the same as the VK278Q you mentioned, just that ones got a built in webcam, the Samsung, i can't find anything on, so was a bit hesitant on that one, but with the Asus being around the same price (which ive found now), and having more features, and also getting good reviews and reports from people who've bought it, im going for that.

Review here of the Asus :- http://www.digitalversus.com/asus-ve278q-p357_10137_150.html

4. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Iv had a lot of monitors over the years at home and work and in My opinion 27" and 1920*1080 is perfect for games, not too high res that you can't see small things in the distance and a nice size screen to see all the beauty.

I have this at the moment
    http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/model/ET.HH4HE.001

and love it, its one of the best monitors iv had, no bleeding great colours awesome blacks and pure whites (my old samsung didn't do blacks as well) and nice and bright.

oh and its 120hz which is great for fps's.

5. rickyboy

rickyboy Guest

GPU:
    ventus 3090
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_pitch

same pixels on both screens, one bigger than the other. spacing between pixel has to be greater creating sharper images on the smaller screen with the same resolution....but we are talking about a small distance between pixels in millimeters

6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Well i finally got the Asus a couple of days ago, and its superb, games look and run great on it, with no ghosting at all (set the Trace Free to 40 as per the reviews), and the picture quality (once set to your own preference) is fantastic, the colours are so rich, and its pin sharp (im using the Splendid Theatre mode), its also not to big at all (27"), i only sit about an arms length away, looking at it face on, and its perfectly fine. :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  7. Desi26

Desi26 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7950 OC
    Great buy!

I think 27" is perfect size. I was hesitant moving from a 24" LCD to 27" LED just because it doesn't seem like it would be much of a difference,but was very happy when I did. A noticeable size difference and is perfect width when your sitting directly in front of it.

My mother bought a decent 32" LCD monitor mainly for her newspaper to work on Indesign and Photoshop side by side, and told me "Well I finally outdid you. I bet your jealous now"

"Hahah......NOPE!"

Just thought that was funny

8. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Go for Samsung 2770FH with 1ms, i had a 2ms screen and in my eyes i could tell the differents but others may disagree.

The response in games we're excellent and played much better then on my 24inch 2ms LED screen.
    But the quality of the LED screen was much better though.

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Even if you can tell the difference, 2ms is far from annoying... but I guess you're like me and would find the current IPS and MVA panels way too slow to enjoy gaming!