LG IPS226V 22" LED Monitor

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Rich_Guy, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    http://www.lg.com/uk/it-products/monitors/LG-led-monitor-IPS226V.jsp

What are peoples thoughts on this screen, was just browsing around today as i fancy a bigger res (currently running a Samsung 2233BW - 1680x1050), and this one caught my eye, was mainly because of the price if anything else, as i can get it for just over £100, which seems a bit of a steal to me, and how would it compare to my Sammy, better/worse, and also, what would it be like for gaming ?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Doesn't seem to be very active this part of the forums, been reading a few reviews on it, all good, so im gona pop into my local to take a look at one up and running :p

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Going from a 22 inch@ a 16:10 ratio (1680x1050) to a 22 inch 16:9 ratio 1920x1080 is a bit pointless...

A true upgrade would be from a 22 inch 16:10 to at least a 24 inch 16:9, especially since your 16:10 monitor isn't too bad! The LG monitor is an IPS panel, so it should look really good. HOWEVER have you noticed they not really forthcoming with the response time? IPS panels aren't suited for gaming, the only panels really suited for gaming are still TN panels.

You can get quite good TN panels these days, and come in LED backlight as well of course! Opt for a 2ms one over a 5ms one :) Also make sure you get a a recent model, as there are both old and new models in the same brands floating around.

For instance:
    Asus VE248H is older than the recent VS248H, however the VE258Q (an excellent monitor) is newer again!

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Supposed to be good for gaming according to the reviews, no ghosting etc..., but i was thinking about the same size screen (22"), just at a different res, might not be much different, so maybes bigger screen size would be best.

That Asus VE258Q, looks a cracker, will have to see if i can pick one of those up instead, so thanks for that. :)

EDIT: Don't think that ones available here in the UK, can't find it anywhere. :(

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

5. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I can get the VE278Q over here, only difference i can see over the 258Q, is the contrast ratio, its 10,000,000:1, where as the 258Q is 50,000,000:1, oh, and its a 27", not 25" :p

6. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
  7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I recently got a VE258Q myself, which is why I mentioned it. Its a brilliant monitor! I was going to go for a VS248H, but I couldn't resist since at the time the VE258Q wasn't much more.

It comes with just about anything except for a displayport cable, I had to get one of those off Ebay! It was only a couple of dollars including postage, although I did go for one which looked to be decentish quality (and when I got it, it looks quite decent too). Just wanted to use displayport since the VE258Q/VE278Q has it... of course for the first 20 seconds of having it connected I didn't think it was working properly until I remembered I had to press the source button on the screen!

Just remember to adjust the settings on the monitor too, I often find straight out the box the screens are set too bright. I believe this is on purpose so they look good in bright lights if used as a display model.

The VE278Q cost just a little bit too much more for me. The reason why I went for the Asus is I had a VW222U before, had it for a couple of years and it was absolutely brilliant, and it still works perfectly I just wanted to upgrade :). In that time it did have some pretty heavy use. I have heard that people with LG, BenQ, Acer etc monitors haven't had as much luck in terms of longevity, mainly to do with the backlights, and personally I'd only buy a Samsung or Asus monitor. Likewise when it comes to TV i'd only buy a Samsung, Panasonic, or Toshiba.

The problem with Samsung monitors though is model age, availability, and price. The model I would have got from Samsung is a S24A350H, but it looks like they're only making the S23A350H available in Australia (24 inch vs 23 inch).

Even so, its very hard to get the S23A350H monitor, and the only place I know of that sells it is in another state and a couple of thousand km away!... There are lots of other models available of course, but its much better to consider new models.

The VE258Q is a very new model, and is a nice screen size. The real issue of going from 16:10 to 16:9 in the same screen size is the screen will be slightly wider, but not quite as high. You want to consider the screen as an upgrade, not a replacement! I use standard mode for normal computer use, the other modes benefit different computer uses and its as simple as a press of a button to change modes, and each you can set the individual brightness, contrast etc.

Anyways, looks like the LG IPS panel is 6ms, which is kinda borderline for good gaming. For a tv's 6ms is fine, and for a lot of people they wouldn't notice the difference between a 6ms screen and a 2ms screen. However, there is more to consider than just the screen response time, input lag is another issue entirely.

If you were going from say a 19 inch to a 22 inch it would be worth it, but honestly unless you go at least 24 inch it won't be worth it. And like I said, height wise a 22 inch in 16:9 compared to 16:10 is actually smaller!

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Thanks for that TheHunter, be able to see how different ones stack up against each other :)

I always thought Samsung were good, thats why i got this one, but now just fancying a change, and ive read some good things about the Asus ones, only slight concern about the VE278Q is, a lot of people seem to have gotten dead/stuck pixels, and also as you say, the brightness out of the box is way to high, but that doesn't really bother me, as you always have to change the settings, get them right for you.

Would also be better to go for a bigger screen, as it would only be like im switching through resolutions on the one ive got. :p

I know my 6970 can handle the higher res as well, as looking through reviews at that res, it seems the drop is only around a couple of frames or so (mostly)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  10. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    well it has nice features, etc., but something like perfect angle is just a scam, you can't have that on TN panels with 160/170° pixel angle view.

:nerd:But you can on that LG you posted before, it has IPS panel with 178/178° view..

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The only reason why I didn't get a Samsung is available, price, and the fact that the S23A350 was too small to be considered an 'upgrade' to my VW222U, and the S24A350H isn't available in Australia, according to Samsung's website.

The VE278Q is more expensive than the S27A350H, but the VE258Q is only a few dollars more expensive than what is available for the S23A250H here, at least thats what it is like here. I haven't had any issues with the VE258Q, although it does use a different panel (obviously) to the VE278Q so can't comment on the dead pixels.

I believe the Asus have always been bright out of the packet, but that just means you are forced to adjust it, and you end up with a better adjusted screen than just relying on the factory settings :)

In terms of viewing angle, I don't know about you, but I usually sit right in front of the monitor when I play games. Being at 160 degrees just doesn't work for me :D

So if you do go 27 inch, the Samsung or the Asus I think would be a good choice, in the 25 inch the VE258Q.

Trust me, going from what you got to anything less than a 24 inch at 16:9 is a replacement, not an upgrade!

12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    @TheHunter, the IPS panel does look good, but just not sure how it would stack up gaming, as the TN panels are the better (supposed to be) for that.

I also sit right in front face on (so that shouldn't be a problem really), and the Samsung seems to have the same screen specs, but just can't seem to find any reviews on it or anything.

I do know they are good though, what with already having a one, so its got that in its favour, and also whats in its favour, is the price, as i can get it a bit cheaper.

13. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    I have IPS226V, its actually 21.6". I dont find any faults, response time is just fast as TN panels, maybe even faster, no 6bit colors, angles are fine, LCD look stylish, so if you dont mind smaller screen size, go for it Rich :)

14. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    i have the 23" non ips version of this monitor, and I was amazed at the screen, I had a samsung before, but moving to the LED backlight was a day and night comparison, so I could only imagine having ips would be very tasty!!

15. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    ive sat right in front of TN panels before and still noticed crappy contrast and whatnot, whereas this IPS monitor im using is just a dream

cant imagine how ips + led would be like!

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The Asus screen don't do too bad for TN panels once adjusted & calibrated in Windows (even with the basic Windows calibration). I had the VW222U ever since it had come out, and people have often thought it was a recent model, not one that is almost 4 years old (I got it at the end of 2007). At the time it was a really good monitor, 2 MS response etc. I've only had the VE258Q a couple of weeks :).

I'm not saying IPS wouldn't be good! I was actually looking at models like the ML249H (an MVA panel), and IPS panels, but the motion response put me off.

Here's a review for a LG IPS236V (23 inch version of the IPS226V):
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2389183,00.asp

In that review the reviewer noticed motion blur, which is very offputting at least to me!

And there's still the issue of the screen being smaller than what you currently got (less height, slightly wider)... since you want to upgrade and not replace, its not worth it :)

If you were replacing a cheap poor quality monitor, or buying one from scratch and not using it for gaming, this monitor would probably be amongst those that would be a good choice. Once the response time of the IPS panels get better such that you won't notice the motion blur they'd definitely be a good choice over a TN, but before then TN is still optimal for gaming :)

17. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    The IPS's do look good, the one i linked to in my OP seems fine for gaming, as ive seen some videos of it in action, its just to small, id only be changing res and panel if i went for that, so wouldn't really be an upgrade.

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It also depends on genetics too. Some people have 'slower' eyesight than others, and for them they don't see the blur.

However, I'm one of those people that do see flicker, like with the old CRT screens some people couldn't see the flicker at 60Hz but for me it was extremely annoying at anything less than 75Hz... Of course thats a few years ago now - I should point out my username should really be '81' but when I made a mistype I thought its only a number :D so left it as was.

So for me, IPS/MVA/VA etc is better for still images, normal watching, and TN is better for fast action gaming. If you're more a RPG gamer etc, the IPS would be better. In your case, I know I said it a couple of times before but going from 22 inch to 22 inch, 16:10 to 16:9 shouldn't be an option.

Consider this, if you have a reasonable pair of sports shoes thats size 11, and fits perfectly, and you saw a brand new pair of say, Asics Kinsie 3's for a really good price, but was only available in size 10, you wouldn't get it, right? In this case, a size 11 shoe is any monitor that is 24 inches or bigger ;), because anything else, no matter how good they are, simply won't be 'fitting'!!!

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Haha yeah, thats one way of looking at it. :D

Called into my local today, says he should be able to get both of them, but the Sammys the more likely, so will give me a ring when he finds out :)

20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Well i was all set on getting the Sammy, but, ive been reading more about the Asus on various forums etc..., and its mainly all positives, so im now edging back towards that, plus it gets a good review on digitalversus.

The trouble with the Sammy is, i just can't find anything on it, no reviews, nothing, so im hesitant.

Arghhh, what to do :p