Good Choice?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by d_mouse, May 6, 2012.

1. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It's cherry picking because you picked specific benchmarks to prove your point. The 8150 is barely faster than the 965 anyway unless you overclock the balls off of it, even in video transcoding. A 965 at 4Ghz? No contest.

2. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    Thanks, I asked him to take his time and make sure it's ok before I spend any money

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    For people that run at stock, what a processor can do overclocked, is a moot point.

I picked benchmarks that applied to the OP's usage scenario.

You claimed i7 920 "smashes" every FX processor. You were wrong, period. You're only further hurting your argument by using the "cherry picked" BS.

In most GPU bound games, which the majority of newer games are, there is little to no real difference between an FX series processor and an i7 920 with single GPU.

Encoding/Transcoding tends to be multi-threaded, but seeing as the OP did in fact state an intent to use the processor for that purpose, it applies.

Now, I'm done with the ignorant fanboyism. Fact is fact. Nehalem (regardless of processor model) does not "smash" the FX series by any means.

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Lol alright, believe what you want I guess.

5. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    man what is it with you guys in here. the OP asked for opinion on what to do and this thread turns to Intel vs amd. Glad to know that the 920 is still working mate.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Every thread involving Bulldozer to any extent turns into Intel vs AMD....

Opinions should have some basis in facts. However, some on this forum favor Intel/nVidia far too much and throw out accusations if anything is posted that shows AMD to be competitive at anything....

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    if you have to buy a new m/b in order to get an 8150, thats not a wise decision. you can buy a much all around better cpu in the 2500k or the IB variant and m/b for the same money as a 8150 and m/b. now if you want to pop in one with your current m/b thats a different story. for a gaming rig I would go the intel route as BD is an awful gaming cpu. you would have to oc that 8150 to 4.5ghz to match a thuban at 4ghz

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    What's best is all based on usage. With GPU bound games, for the most part any processor will work with a single GPU so long as it's fast enough to feed the chosen GPU. For CPU bound games where IPC makes a noticable difference, of course Intel will have an advantage. With encoding/transcoding software....some will favor Intel, some favor AMD. Pick the processor that your chosen software favors. The rest is all conditional. If all you're doing it encoding/transcoding and have a BD compatible motherboard....there's no reason to jump platforms. If you require a new motherboard, there's no reason not to at least consider an i7 2600K. Neither Intel nor AMD are exactly a bad choice.....but depending on the actual usage, one will be a better choice.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    the op want a cpu for gaming ,encoding, and internet with some professional apps. judging buy his 920@4.0ghz what would you say is his best option? amd or intel?

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    His best option is to find a new motherboard for his i7 920 as that's likely to be the most cost effective option. If it turns out a new motherboard costs more than $230 AUD....AMD would be the better option if he really is short on money (which is another thing most on this forum seem to ignore these days, which is why you get PM's when I'm looking at upgrades...lol). If money is an issue, $230AUD is cheaper than $420AUD regardless of the performance difference.

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
  12. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    This is what I've been trying to say, BD is simply stupid to purchase for any reason, unless you already have an AM3+ board. It gets roflstomped in gaming and barely wins in the scenarios it was designed for.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If money is tight, he's better off with some money left in his pocket than the fastest computer he can possibly build. That would be the most responsible recommendation.

In 2001 I was forced to go from an AthlonXP 2000 to a Celeron 1.3ghz. In 2005, I was forced to go from an Athlon64 3200+ to a Pentium4 2.4ghz. I know what it's like to, more or less, go backwards.... It's not exactly enjoyable, but it's better than not having a computer at all....and if money is an issue, cheaper is usually the better option.

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    an 8150 and m/b vs a 2500k and m/b would be about the same money. I can only recommend going intel in this particular situation. If I could only afford BD, I would find a new hobby as I wouldnt enjoy this one to my liking anymore. especially with dual 580`s
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-690-review/12
    and his cpu crapped out too.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    We all have different financial conditions. I build the fastest computers I can afford. If that means I have to skip 1 or 2 generations before I upgrade, oh well. My computer comes second to everything. If my computer fails, it only gets fixed if it doesn't impact my family financially....which is how it should be.

The OP listed his options as an FX-6100+mobo for $230AUD or an i5 2600K+mobo for $420AUD. That's $190AUD difference in price...and depending on how tight money really is, that could be a significant difference.

Remember, not everyone is in a position to set their own budget. Some of us are actually limited by our income.

BTW, Post #18 says otherwise for his i7 920...

His friend has it running and is testing it for him.

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    thats even worse than an 8150. he did mention the 2500k so it would still be in his budget. Ill see if I can find some godawful fx6100 benchmarks and post em here.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You're still completely missing the big picture....

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    nah, the i5 2500k is in his price range. I hope he can get his i7 920 rig together, that would be cheaper and WAY better than an fx6100.

19. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    Wow this got a bit out of scope, but thanks for the help guys.
    My Friend has been testing the CPU for me and it's looking good so far.
    He did a bit over 8 hours @ stock in Prime for me over night with no issues and before he left for work this morning he set it up @ 4Ghz running prime. If it's all good later tonight / tomorrow morning I'll try and pick up a second hand motherboard (managed to find a used ASUS P6T for about $100)

20. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Good idea. Great to see that you have a new cost effective solution.

deltatux