Improving airflow

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Dorlor, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Okay, so i have a Cosmos 2 case, in which i have issues holding my 2x evga 780 ti sc acx Cards below 80c - in particular the top Card.

The fan setup is as on the drawing below (i suck at drawing, so bare with me)

http://i.imgur.com/XhuR6sd.jpg

The reason that i only have one fan pushing on the radiator, is that the power cable to the cpu is blocking for the other fan spot.

Now with that in mind, and the fact that the gpu's use the acx cooler, which dumps the heat inside the case, what would you Guys suggest i do to improve airflow and Thus temps ?

2. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    While not the ideal solution,you could try one of these http://www.xoxide.com/evercool-fox2.html Put one between your video cards. That PCI fan moves a hell of a lot of air. My wife has a set up similar to yours and installing the fan greatly reduced temps. A quick and easy way to exhaust hot air.

3. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Thats not a bad idea! But correct me if im wrong, isnt that particular model sucking in air from the top? If so, it would contradict the airflow of the case and gpu's :/

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The PCI cooler is probably a good idea. However, keep in mind you still want positive pressure inside the case. If the PCI cooler pulls too much air it could potentially reduce the cooling potential of the CPU cooler.

5. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    My wife has two 780s with ACX cooling. The slot fan exhausts a ton of hot air and actually helps the CPU temps as well. You can feel the hot air coming out of the back of the case. And I mean hot air. I'm really impressed by how much air that slot fan removes.

6. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Surely you want negative pressure, especially with coolers such as the acx, which dumps all the hot air inside the case... you want all that hot air pulled out asap.

As it is, i already have negative pressure, with 4x 14cm fans pulling air out, and 2x 12cm fans aswell as a 20 cm fan blowing air in... there are 2 additional fans in the bottom of the case, but the bottom hdd cages are entirely seperated from the rest of the computer.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Having 4x 14cm fans pulling air out, with 2x 12cm and 1x 20cm fans pushing air in, doesn't guarantee "negative" pressure.

Also, "negative" pressure isn't always best..... You need to make sure cool air is getting to components that need it.

Quiet honestly, the Cosmos 2 case design sucks for airflow.....especially for high-end builds... The bottom fans are useless for cooling anything but harddrives. The front fan is blocked by harddrives. Basically, with your fan configuration, you're not getting nearly enough cool air into the case....

8. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Does it now... your above describtion would suggest that you didnt understand the drawing i made, and that youre just spewing **** out your ass, based on reference cosmos 2 Pictures youve seen... if you had understood it, youd understand that there are 2 fans mounted on the door, blowing air directly into the gpu's.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you want help, pull your head out of your ass....

That drawing, looks like something my 6yo son did....

10. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    I already did get helpful advice from other people, before you came along and started spewing ****. You didnt come with one helpful suggestion, you only critized my case.

So either come with a helpful suggestion, or get out of my thread - thank you.

11. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    To the helpful members of guru3d, here is a screenie of my case as it is now

http://i.imgur.com/j3sAS3x.jpg

Just tested after having moved the fan infront of the gpu's 2 cm up, to better get air into the top card.

With an ambient temp of 27c, the top Card reaches 84c with 85% fanspeed, and the bottom Card reaches 77c with 69% fanspeed, after having let it burn in crysis 3 for 15 min with unlimited fps.

Once i get my paypal account working, ill order the pci slot cooler suggested, and hopefully that will help significantly.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Remove the middle harddrive bay and install a fan like this.

[​IMG]

13. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    I have thought of doing that aswell, but i couldnt quite get the metal plate unmounted - also, how is the fan being held in place?

Would it be possible to get both plates off ?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    You will have to drill the few rivets out, and the plate slides out. I used zip ties for the fan

15. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    So if im not in possesion of anything but manual tools, such as screwdrivers and wrenches, im in bad luck? :/

With zips, dont you get alot of fan vibration?

Ive really thought about what i could possibly do to improve airflow, and i think the following changes COULD work... remove the furthest side fan, mount a 1 slot pci fan on the sideways pci slot, and make it suck air out from the gpus.
    Then mount a 1 slot pci fan right above gpu 2, sucking up air from underneath, which should make it absorb the majority of hot air from card 2, while not interfering with gpu 1's airflow, giving it a free pci slot to breathe.

Depending on what solutions i can find here in danmark, i might do as you did, and remove the plate along with the 12 cm fan, and mount a 20 cm one. Im not happy about a zip solution though, i would much prefer if it could be screwed in place.

The sideways pci slot is the one next to the gpus on this picture.

http://i.imgur.com/c1qYaoL.jpg

But coming to think of it, it might be better to leave all the side fans on, blowing air in, and simply place a pci cooler right on top of gpu 2, and one 2 slots beneath gpu 2.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014

16. AC_Avatar100400

AC_Avatar100400 Guest

GPU:
    WC GTX 780
    I was going to Suggest the PCI cooler after hearing a few Recommendations but haven't had a chance to buy one yet.Please let us know What your Temps are like and if it makes a difference.Good Luck hope its works out

17. gsc

gsc Member

GPU:
    GTX660
    Reverse the Air flow of the 2x door fans - remove 2 slot covers below 2nd GPU and check temps - reason is the 2 doorfans are blowing onto the cards which are exhausting their heat inside the case, now while the HDD cage fan is blowing OVER the GPUS towards the back fan and the back fan is exhausting - the 2 side fans create a temporary blockage / turbulence of the hot air created by 2nd GPU between 2nd and 1st - (in combination with the HD cage fan that is, and the exhaust fans are having a rather hard time to pull the air "trapped" in between the cards above and around the first GPU on account of the combined airflow going in between from HD and door fans, if that makes any sense to you) - which is also exhausting hot air inside the cage before it is pulled out by back and top fans - next option would be guerilla modding featuring cardboard and masking tape to guide airflow but were not there yet...

18. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I had a Cosmos and tried every way you can imagine to drop temps, bottom line is that whilst its a great looking case, the airflow isn't so good for air or water-cooling.

I tried the rad/fans in the roof, front, back and bottom, fans all over the place (even a 200m on the door) and it still struggled.

I replaced it with a Silverstone TJ07B, my Cosmos still sits in my shed even though I have built three rigs since then, shame as its a great looking case.

19. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    I had great temps with my reference 680s, which would top off at 78c, which is very cool for reference 680 sli.

Difference is that they exhausted the hot air in back, and for that my fan setup was great - side fans blowing air into the gpu's, and the gpu's blowing the air out. So in that case, the gpu's actually contributed to airflow, where as the 780 ti's counter acts it.

20. gsc

gsc Member

GPU:
    GTX660
    ...which is why the 2 side fans now have to make up for it by exhausting the hot air from the GPUs cos they're releasing the heat inside and so forth