SSD dead?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Rumpus01, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    Gurus, need some help with this one...

Had a few BSODs in a row: 1a, 1e, 50, 03b, and an hour later 24. The first 4 happened within 30 minutes of each other. 1a happened first, and I ran CHKDSK on my SSD; it crashed before CHKDSK even finished with the 1e. 50 happened just running google chrome a few minutes later while researching the issue, and the 03b happened when i used the "performance optimization" feature in Samsung Magician a few minutes after that(I have an 840 pro SSD).

I ran P95 for a few minutes to see if it crashed instantly and had something to do with my overclock. It ran for about 20 minutes with no temperature issues or BSODs, so i figured it might be something else, especially since it seemed to crash when the SSD was in full use.

I updated my chipset and GPU drivers, and ran MEMTEST... The 24 crash happened after updating drivers, so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

At this point, I am pretty sure it's either the SSD, my overclock, or my motherboard in general. I say this because recently, when I shut down my PC, windows 7 says shutting down and shut downs fine. However, the fans and lights in my rig stay on even when windows shuts down and the monitor goes off. I'm wondering if this has something to do with windows or more so hardware, since it seems like windows shuts off fine.

Now, there's been a firmware upgrade for my SSD out for some time that I've ignored. I let my rig chill for 45 minutes today before trying this firmware upgrade to make sure it wasn't constantly crashing before updating the firmware. I thought the update may fix the issue if it was indeed a problem with my SSD. The upgrade took about 6-12 seconds, but at 99%, it BSOD'd with error 7e.

It seems too many of these BSODs have occured while things have been putting the SSD on a high usage. I thought my system was done for sure since it crashed during the firmware upgrade, but it booted back into windows fine! So I ran the firmware upgrade again and it finished successfully the second time.

That's where I am now. At this point, I'm going to see if it crashes again now that the SSD firmware is updated. If it happens again, I am going to reseat my CMOS battery & set all BIOS settings to default.

Any input would be great! I diagnose a lot of machines, and I know I'll get to the bottom of this eventually, but I'd like to gather info in case I need to RMA my SSD, as it is out of warranty soon.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    1e and 0x24 are almost always errors relating to low CPU vcore. So I'd start there.

3. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    Indeed, but why would P95 run fine for a bit if I'm getting BSODs all the time while doing nothing?

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You may be having idle vcore drops to unstable territory for any number of reasons. Are you using a negative offset voltage? Did you try disabling speedstep/EIST/Cstates?