HDMI problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by testcy, Oct 19, 2016.

1. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    I am trying to connect a 24" IPS LED TV monitor that only has D-Sub and HDMI ports to an AMD Radeon HD6600 card. When using an HDMI to HDMI cable I get a distorted image at 1920x1080 using any refresh rate with a black bar around. I tried renaming the HDMI source to PC on the TV monitor, but there is no change. When using a DVI to HDMI cable the problem does not happen. Any ideas why the HDMI to HDMI cable does not work correctly?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Need to set "Scaling" in CCC / Crimson control panel

Slide the slider to the right IIRC to remove the black bar

[​IMG]

Not sure where it is in Crimson

3. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    I do not have the Catalyst Control Center installed as I had an issue with the drivers from AMD (flickering when playing flash video) and I am using the drivers from Microsoft Update that do not include it. Is this a problem specific only with an HDMI to HDMI cable and why it does not happen with a DVI to HDMI cable?

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Because the card thinks you are using a DVI port. The HDMI scaling in Crimson is in the Display properties. You could also install CCC from 15.11.1 and set things up with that.

5. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    Is there a standalone Catalyst Control Center without the drivers to download?

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Can't you deselect the drivers with a custom install during CCC setup?

7. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    It's been a long time I did an installation of those drivers, I just don't want to have the flickering problem again. Will there be a visible difference if using a D-Sub, a DVI to HDMI or a HDMI to HDMI cable?

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    D-Sub will have a visual quality loss IMO, doesn't look anywhere near as sharp not being digital

DVI / HDMI combos should all have the same quality

What flickering? Did you try different drivers?

Use DDU to remove the old ones?

Not difficult to revert back to your current setup if you have problems again

9. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    I downloaded Catalyst Software Suite 15.7.1 which is the latest official for this card and verified it is not corrupted, but installation fails with the error message: "Application Install: install package failure". I am now downloading latest beta to try. Any idea why it fails?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

11. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    I used DDU to clean drivers and installation seemed successful, but only HDMI Audio Driver and AMD Catalyst Install Manager were installed. I tried amd-catalyst-15.7.1-with-dotnet45-win7-64bit.exe, non-whql-64bit-nieg-radeon-crimson-16.2.1-win10-win8.1-win7-feb27.exe and amd-catalyst-15.11.1beta-64bit-win10-win8.1-win7-nov14.exe. Are these not the correct drivers? I am now back to using a DVI to HDMI cable and the drivers from Microsoft Update (AMD Radeon HD 6600 Series, ATI Technologies Inc., 19/4/2011, 8.850.0.0).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016