Windows 8.1 100% Disc usage

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by aphex182, Jul 2, 2014.

1. aphex182

aphex182 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX980
    Hey guys!!

Well i've held back asking this question as i didn't want to sound like a dill as i'm not that technically minded when it comes to these types of problems! Anyway i've been having this problem since Win7 and now onto 8 and 8.1 over two Hard drives.

Various services seem to make this happen, Chrome, Antimalware, System, Nvidia Geforce Experience, certain games like ARMA OA etc etc.

I've ran CCleaner and cleaned up a hell of a lot in the Registry but that didn't help, i've also changed the paging files on the C drive and again it still didn't help. The only next step is either to re-install windows or buy a new HD (or SSD).

Any help, pointers or general laughing in my direction would be greatly appreciated!! (maybe not the laughter!!)

[​IMG]

2. aphex182

aphex182 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX980
  3. Derragon

Derragon Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670/2GB
    I used to have this issue when I was still on Windows 8 (not 8.1 Update 1), where Windows was having issues with a page file that was too small, and was doing indexing but was taking up a huge amount of IOPS as a result. The only way I found to fix it was to do all the Windows updates and increase the paging file to 2GB initial and 4GB maximum.

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Had the same issue on my second PC using 8.1

I fixed it by disabling page file altogether, restarting, use defraggler to do a "boot defrag", once back in Windows reenable page file but honestly LEAVE IT AT DEAFAULT (let windows manage page file) you can move it onto a different drive which is best but leave it so Windows manages it for you. Reboot once more and run a second "boot defrage" which should defrag the page file also.

Worked for me.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Task Manager says 100% disk usage when its reading/writing @ just 10MB/s, ignore it unless its causing problems

My disk can R/W at least 10x faster than that yet it says 100% when it is nowhere near

Use Resource Monitor in Performance tab of task manager to see exactly what it is

6. aphex182

aphex182 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX980
    Thx for the info/help guys!!!

7. aphex182

aphex182 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX980