Missing SSD Hard drive Space?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Whiplashwang, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    I have a Corsair Force Series GT 180GB solid state drive. Windows 8.1 64-Bit has been installed on it for about a year and I think some hard drive space is missing after uninstalling a few programs to regain some space. I went into Disk Management and there are no partitions, it shows 167.68GB NTFS for the C drive.

Now when I go into file explorer, right click on the C drive and click properties it shows 108GB in use, but when entering into the C drive and selecting all folders (hidden included) I right click properties and wait for windows to calculate how much space is taken and it only says 92GB in use... where is remaining space? Also page file is only set to 800MBs and system protection (restoration backups) is only using 3.53GBs, that accounts for around 4.3GB's a space so there is still 11.6GB's space is missing! It may not seem like much but I don't like losing space especially to something I can't find or delete. Plus every bit of space is needed today with these bigger games coming out.

Also I'm pretty sure this is abnormal since I just did a fresh install of windows 8.1 on another computer and when I went through the same process there was 5GB's missing, but after I looked at the system protection and page file it balanced out.

Does anyone else have this problem and if they've run into it, is there some free software or some way in windows to recover missing space? Also I clean my computer with CCleaner periodically and windows' built in cleaner.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Probably left for Hibernation.

Run cmd and type powercfg -h off, you'll get your space back.

3. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    Wow! ........

I can't believe that was the problem! I actually assumed hibernation wasn't the cause since I remember it on previous versions of windows only taking a few gigs of space, not 11-12gbs. :bang:

Thanks for the simple solution! :)

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    No problem. :)

5. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Hib default is 75%, can be adjusted 50% to 100% of RAM size.