what is destiny about?

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by basel, Aug 29, 2014.

1. basel

basel Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 580gtx 950/2200
    can anyone elaborate what sort of game is this? is it like a multiplayer shooter where u win matches and upgrade ur gear? or there is missions and a story progress ? like an rpg

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    From wiki. It has multiplayer much like halo and cod, but its more in the vein of halo meets borderlands.

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Destiny is about a multi-million $ gamble into the MMOFPSRPG genre.

Instead of being free-to-play or F2P, they will charge you in advance $100 and then charge you for "optional" DLC so you can access content you should get for $100 to begin with.

They are backed by an utterly huge marketing budget and some very nice visual art style, but the game is paper-thin on actual differential content and pliable PvP.

From what I can tell, the game is this:

PvE: solo or co-op where you run missions/grind to get gear.
    PvP: solo or co-op or FFA where you shoot people in the face.

Shorcuts for content / expansions cost RLM, and the PvP runs at 30fps @ <10 tickrate.

This will be a game you either play for as long as it takes to get to a certain level or mission level, and then forget about until there is a new expansion - or it's a game you show your friends so they can look at the artwork, which is pretty pretty.

I for one will not be playing it - just does not appeal to line the pockets of someone else until the end of time; I had enough of that $hit with EVE.

Budgie, like CCP, are very good at pacification and carroting their players. Be prepared for this:

"Oh, sorry you didn't like X - but look at this screenshot of what will be coming out next year!...no, keeeeep looooking at the purdy shiney picture" (takes money out your wallet whilst distracted).

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    In other words....Borderlands 2

5. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    ... and Titanfall... Looks like mega 3rd parties found their new cash cow model.

6. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    You can tell Borderlands has had a massive impact of the game design. I wouldn't say it is a clone, more of a mishmash of all different titles. Halo being another major influence of course with the pvp, vehicles, and the space theme. Still plays better than it sounds in paper.

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I still may end up getting it. I never downloaded the beta so I haven't had a chance to try it out. Hoping they will have a demo on xbox live after launch.

8. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Demos are a rarity these days, so you might be better off just taking a gamble and buy it. I don't think you are going to be disapointed

9. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580

Couldn't have said it better.

I, too, intend to skip destiny.

10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I only intend to pay the same price I pay for all PS4 games, it isn't costing me any more, so I fail to see how to can cost over $100. No one is forcing you to buy the limited edition, or any of the DLC for that matter.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Its FPS game what there to know there all the same crap these days same crap most people eat up like it gold to boot.

Then again I hate FPS especial the ones from last 10 years.

12. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I agree. Gamers will play anything that has attractive graphics, with the same over used formula. It doesn't even need to have solid gameplay either. Just hype. Having said that I did enjoy the Destiny beta immensley.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I think it alot simpler then that, they just like shooting there friends/people in online shooters or shooting things in general.

Im of the opinion if FPS/shoots no longer had health regen crap and the game relied on health packs and actual planing out to beat level with what you health you have. alot of the FPS junkies would be enraged. honestly this main reason why i hate FPS games now. Then again even when FPS games where like this i still really wasnt a FPS fan i am even less of fan now cause of it.

Bungies last game i liked was ONI and i was all for HALO when it was PC GAME 3years in development before bungie sold out to MS and gave the bird to PC sector

14. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Halo on the PC was amazing. I would rate the multiplayer as one on the most enjoyable I have ever played. Of course Destiny will never achieved the same status, it still manages to be enjoyed. PVP is fun with vehicles, but rubbish without.

I do agree with what you said. Gamers have little skill when it comes to playing a pure FPS. How many gamers today would be able to sit through Half Life without moaning about it being too hard, probably 90%.

15. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    The last really good online shooter was Battlefield Bad Company 2 on the PC. That art style of Destiny looks way to generic to get me interested... adding to the fact that their is ziltch story or characters... other than a bunch of generic sci-fi facemasks.

16. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Well I ended up trading in a bunch of old 360 controllers and bought it for $10. I guess I can't go wrong with that price. Will pick it up tomorrow on my way home from work.

17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Interesting that people complain about FPS and enjoy playing one. Sort of makes either part of your statements a little hard to believe ^^
    But I know how it goes, I don't like COD yet play BF4, mea culpa.
    But thanks for your narrations, now I know I still don't miss much with skipping Destiny.

18. Undercova

Undercova Guest

GPU:
    660GTX Windforce
    It's good to judge the game before you play it. I did it with this game, not much interest from just looking at videos, but the alpha changed my mind. Not saying that this will be the best game ever, pretty slim chance for that, but i liked it. And i paid 50€ for it, not 100, collector editions rarely are same price as normal.

19. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    Your post is in conflict. Insinuating people have laid judgement prior to release and seemingly ignoring that there was a beta most of us did try out...while simultaneously acknowledging that there was a playable alpha..

There's no debate in this though; no one need spend 100 bucks. :)

Even if destiny DOES turn out to be the best game ever, I'm not going to look back. I just find destiny to be an even more transparent attempt than titanfall is purported to be.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  20. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    If this is how you are starting to feel, I think it's time to give gaming a break. I'm not saying this to be a jerk, just honest advice.

I may have to do the same soon myself, because EVERYTHING is starting to feel dried out and the same.

Unless something good pops up soon I just don't know. I'm going to try Destiny, but I have a feeling I'll lose interest in it rather quickly. If I do get bored fast, I'm hanging up my Mouse/keyboard/controller for a while.

Not trying to be nit-picky, but your post is also in conflict.

As you just said the same thing but in reverse. You said you want to skip Destiny because it's the same old same old, yet if it turns out to honestly be the best game out there, you'll still skip it.

Not sure why then. If it really is that great of a game I'd be looking to keep it as my main title. Destiny would not even be comparable to Titanfall then.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014