Connect Original Xbox (PAL) to HDtV

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by (.)(.), Aug 28, 2014.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hello all,

Anyone know of a way to connect the original Xbox:
    [​IMG]
    to an HDTV?

Would i have to go through Component then an adapter to HDMI. The screen i have has no component inputs (or Composite).

Thanks for any info.

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well first things first, is that a ntsc or pal xbox, ntsc has the hd option to run at hd 720/1080l in the xbox menus, the pal versions did not, and has to be modded to access any hd options.

Secondly to get any hd from the xbox you would need a component cable, but seeing are you do not have any component connections you would then need some type of powered analogue to digital converter to turn the component analogue signal into a digital hdmi signal, these cost a arm and a leg to say the least.

In the end the hd in games that support it is great, but i don't think it is worth the cost that you would have to pay to get it if you can't just buy and use a component cable.

I still have my old pal one i bought way back in 2002 and which i modded to access the hd options to use with component cables, and it is a great to machine that still works to this day

3. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yep its PAL, I was planning on Softmodding it.

I've seen a few AV to HDMI adapters for around 25 - 60 dollars. So was thinking of trying the cheap ones just to see how it goes, though im to concerend on whether i can get proper upscaling going and dont mind if its just 480p/i etc, just want to be able to connect to dvi or HDMI port.

Cheers mate.

4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Plus a few more things.
    Only NTSC games support 720/1080i, even when modded, so you will also need a mode selector program to get the console running in NTSC mode for xbox games that support HD to run in those modes.

Install XMBC and this will allow you to pick 720/1080i mode for things like emulators. movies and the likes, which run great.

I did my softmod with Splinter cell and a compatible USB stick i got from ebay and a Xbox to usb converter, worked atreat.

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Edit:
    Lol, dont even remember my own posts.:stewpid:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  6. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    double post.

7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Fingers crossed that HDD is compatible, plus best if you have a original controller, some third party ones do not work in the clone program menus, then all you need to do then is clone that new HDD from the original 8gig one, i used a molex splitter to power both HDD's, then once the program tells you, quickly unplug the IDE cable from your original 8 gig HDD into the new HDD, and the rest is easy peasy.

Once you get the HDD installed you have to get two emulators called Visionary 3 and CoinOPS, get the full versions, not the lite versions, it is worth the extra gig, they come in at just over 40 gig but they are well worth it, and you can install them via FTP.

Plus you can rip your original xbox games onto the HDD and run them without the disc, nice little feature that will keep your original xbox discs in good condition.

Oh and i would stick with a 80 gig max HDD, anything bigger might be too much for the xbox PSU to power, i use 808 gig and have had no issues.

Good luck, original xbox is a fantastic machine, some pics of V3 menu, you scroll along and pick your category then pick the game you want.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Im running a 250gb IDE drive in my modded ntsc xbox and its working just fine.

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Holy quotation batman. but yeah ive seen multiple posts saying 80gb+ works just fine but thanks for the heads up guys.

Also, i checked the compatiblity of the drive before purchase and its lockability and it was indeed supported according to that massive list.

I found the coin op thing also XP-200, weighs in at 60gb thougb and should be downloaded within a few days haha. Havnt seen a download need to take that long since dialup. Can you later go through and delete the games or emulators that you dont want?.

Next i think ill install the xmbc and an appropriate skin and use the wide banner etc icons, maybe try out the 3d covers similar to wiiflow.

Picked up a rca to hdmi adapter aswell. nz$50 so hope it does the job, not expecting miracles, just want to be able to use my pc monitor.

Has anyone had any luck getting Star Wars Episode 1: Racer to work properly with surreal64?

cheers guys.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I had no idea you could get that big a drive working on it, but is it a 3.5 or the smaller 2.5 HDD, i had no idea the old xbox PSU could power that size a HDD, nice bud.

Yes, you can add and delete the games as you want, all done via the FTP on your PC, no doubt that is why my install is less than the 60gig, its been about a years since i installed it.

No, but i got a Dreamcast and a VGA box and Star Wars racer on that, and it is fantastic looking.

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    What! Pod Racer is on Dreamcast. Osum!