advise on fan placement setup

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by W@w@Y, Jan 21, 2017.

1. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    I bought a new case, cooler, GPU and some fans and would like to get your opinion on how my temps are and if there are improvements I can make

to note, Im in a tropical country and even at night time the temps can be around 26-28c..as the windows are closed, it may even be higher

5820k running on stock

my temps

[​IMG]

my current setup

[​IMG]

my planned setup

[​IMG]

My objectives are

1. lower temps if its not optimal and correct any mistakes in my fan setup
    2. lower volume if at all possible. I can hear the fans whirring when gaming (if I put my headphone off, or say im running heaven benchmark)

instead of the planned fan changes, would any of the following make more sense?

1. change setup in corsair link? how?
    2. Get GPU to turn fans on at a lower temp? Not yet sure when the fan spins on the GTX1080 but from the photo it seems even at 45c the gpu fan is still idle

thanks!

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Reverse the fans. Rear is intake, h115 exhausts out the front.
    A fan near GPU you'll have to test yourself since it can vary case by case.

3. Drhax

Drhax Guest

GPU:
    Rx 480
    Definitely go with static pressure fans on radiators

4. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    How about if I put the two AF100 on top, get it to become intakes, and only have 1 rear exhaust at full RPM?

Im more concerned about maintaining positive pressure as Im happy with the CPU temps im getting with the H115 as it is now

Testing was done in the morning though so room temp was probably 26-27c
    [​IMG]

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

There is only so much improved air flow will do, particularly when the room temperature is already warmish.

6. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I would start with putting H115i on top and if you like quietness then replace fans for Phanteks PH-F140SP or MP, these fans are geat on radiators although on these aluminium rads which Corsair or NZXT using hard to say, but people do use these fans on Corsair amd still gain a bit on temps

Then add to front 2x Phanteks PH-F140XP or MP, SP and at back leave stock Phanteks if its 120mm replace with 140mm fan, 140mm fan always will push more air like 120mm plus will be quieter than 120mm at same CFM

On bottom of the case you can try put extra fan which will bring cold air to case and this will lower temps, try put inside digital thermometer and check for temps what temps are you getting under heavy load or lighter load

Yours ambient temps are high, this is hard to combat without the AC

From my personal experience with Corsair Hydro series I would switch back to air, Noctua or Cryorig are great CPU coolers and usually they will cool as these CLC coolers, if you want better AIO then BeQuiet or Swiftech or EK are best on market as they use copper for radiators and use better pumps

I've switched few weeks to water, full custom loop and I'm using on bottom rad only Phanteks fans on top rad I'm using EK Vardar 1850rpm fans and at 21°C ambient, my temps are under heavy load are in OCCT at 58-61°C on PKG and GPU are in 35°C max in rendering, CPU is OC at 4.5Ghz and GPU is GTX1080 FE with 230MHz OC on core/200MHz on VRAM and Titan X SC is OC at 1473MHz

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

7. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Thanks for the replies. Im actually ok-ish with the temps. 70c on the 5820k is not bad for me given the warm ambient

however, my main concern is having positive air pressure. Ive had good experience with it on my FT02 and dust is kept at bay

but with my intakes being only the front, and passing through the H115 radiators and that I have 2x120mm exhausts, do i have less airflow coming in than going out?

8. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    I just realized you are in Singapore,then these ambient temps are pretty much normal and AC would definitely helps in yours case

70's on stock clocked i7-5820k?

If yes,then these temps are high there without the question,my i7-5820k with Noctua NH-D15 with 22C ambient temps has hit under OCCT or RealBench around 68-72C,with custom loop my temps are somewhere in region 62-65C(highest I've seen I think 68C with 24C ambient temps)

I wouldn't be worried about the positive air pressure,if you are worried about the dust,then I would check some dust filters or you will need to clean yours PC just more frequently

I usually test with digital thermometer or I use my fan controller which do have 8 thermal inputs or you can put there 8 thermal probes and,during the load or idle I monitor inside PC temps and ambient temps

I personally I wouldn't use Corsair fans,I would get Phanteks fans these fans are lot quieter under load or full load and if you can find Thermalright TY-147A are great fans as well there

120mm fans are OK,but on yours case you can use 140mm fans which I would use as well as 120mm fans will always flow less than same 140mm fan

If budget allows then I would get Aqua Computer Aquaero 6XT or 5LT version if you don't have free 5.25" slot

Here is how it looks at Aquasuite which is part of the Aquaero 6XT or any Aquaero

[​IMG]

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

9. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Hi Jura,

These are the CPU temps I got when testing with Asus Real bench.
    max temps ranged from 64c to 70c each core during testing

The temp reading was done as the test finished hence the mid 30s reading on low CPU usage.

it seems my temps are about on par with your DH-15? given I have higher ambient temps?

[​IMG]

10. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I forgot to add, my 5820k has run 4.5Ghz, I've posted few months back my results over here after I've switched from H100i to NH-D15

These results and temps are with stock clocks?

Here is my older thread

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=409704

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

11. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Hi jura,my results are on oc to 4ghz

This mirning i did sone unigine heaven trsting and got 50-53c cpu tenps and,because it was raining,my idle eas at 27-29

12. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

What TIM or thermal paste are you using, did you tried to use different one, I always using lately Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut with which I've very good results, tried too PK3 which has been not the best(I would say poor),then good one is Noctua NT-H1 or Gelid GC Extreme

Yours temps at 4.0GHz are higher than I would thought so, what input voltage are you using, I would try 1.79-1.82v as max on 4.0GHz, I've used 4.4GHz OC and with this OC I've used 1.79v input voltage as max, cache voltage 1.05v and System Agent set has been at 1.0v

As I said previously, put H100i on top, use front one fans as intakes, bottom fan can help bring cold air, but this can depends if case is raised 4-5cm above floor,then this would help,I have raised my case around 5-6cm and my temps dropped by 2-5°C

Try to use 140mm fans as intakes and exhaust and if you are suffering still with higher temps, try remove unused PCI_E slots, this would help with escaping hot air from case which you want, you don't want have or you don't want to recycle hot air in case..

I've removed all unused PCI_E slots and my temps dropped a bit, you can try to experiment with this as well, its free mode there

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Post a screen cap of voltages from hwinfo, those temps are high for 4ghz unless you got some auto tuning voltage of some sort.

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Watercooling won't provide a hugh difference, it has its advantages and disadvantages. Like air coolers they are still passive, in that the water cooling can only work as effectively as the ambient temperature, and the ability of the CPU to transfer heat. I do have a concept for hybrid active/passive cooling, although it probably isn't feasible. Then again, it could be one of those things that is so genius and simple in concept that nobody has thought of it yet!

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I'll be your partner, we can split profits 50/50

;)

16. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Hi! I'd suggest what works for me...H115 exhaust, everyone else as intake.The cpu temps are high because the rad is blowing hot air into the case, mixing it with the hot air from the gpu.If you can, put a fan inside the bottom enclosure as intake so the gpu will have some cooler air to use.

Silverstone Tek 120mm Ultra Fine Fan Filter with Magnet Cooling
    https://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Filter-Magnet-Cooling-FF123B/dp/B00ARB5E8U

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  17. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Front looks pretty restrictive for proper airflow...

[​IMG]

Had the same issue with my H440. only thing that solved it was to cut the front open, you can mount a rad grill to make it look nicer.

18. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

P400 is not restrictive as some other cases, but if you are or he is using any kind of AIO/CLC then you can run to issues

But still I would choose probably better case like is Enthoo Pro or PRO-M or Evolv, just I would use 140mm fans at front on any case as 120mm fan is OK but 140mm will move more air than 120mm fan

Cutting front not sure, if I would do that

My Enthoo Primo have similar front as these looks like is limited airflow, but trust me case flow amazingly and have run in this case from X5670 to i7-4790k to E5-2683v3 and now i7-5820k,just on this case I hated to run bloody AIO/CLC

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

19. mad4

mad4 Member

GPU:
    Dedicated
    A guy on another forum had serious heat issues,with graphics card though,on a smaller build,but same case,and aio in front,he dropped temped pretty drastic from just removing the front panel.
    From that,it looked like case was very restrictive.
    Id try that,and if it helps a fair amount,i would make two large holes in the panel,and fit a couple of grills.
    Also as someone mentions,fit an intake fan on the bottom,if thats possible with the psu shroud,would also benefit positive airflow.

20. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    push in from front and sides.. and push air out of the rear. gl