windows-10-build-1607-randomly-black-screen

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by toxify, Aug 21, 2016.

1. toxify

toxify Member

GPU:
    Evga gtx 980 SC
    windows-10-build-1607-randomly-black-screen with Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.Help pls i have tried alot of solutions and nothing helps

2. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Use DDU to totally uninstall your display driver and then reinstall the latest also on windows 1607 here no problems

3. toxify

toxify Member

GPU:
    Evga gtx 980 SC
    Already did that the issue is still there along with mutiple driver resets

4. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Did you try to check your OS with sfc /scannow ?

5. toxify

toxify Member

GPU:
    Evga gtx 980 SC
    Yep says everything is fine i''ve tried alot of solutions listed on the nvidia forums and other places nothing helps

6. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Oke I hope somebody will provide you with an solution in the mean time maybe it is an compatibility issue with an program you use in your OS that is all I can think of some overlay that responds with the driver for example

7. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    I had the problem as well and eventually went back to 1511 because of it. Note that this was before the latest driver release which some people say helped for them.

Some other people say disabling the DVR functionality in the Xbox app helps for them.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  9. zandathrax

zandathrax Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS ROG STRIX 4090
  10. huey9055

huey9055 Guest

GPU:
    2 x 7970 GHZ edition
    Copy pasting my fix that I posted on the geforce forum link posted above in case it helps anyone.

Hi all,

I too have had this issue and have tried a number of things to fix it.

- Trying a multitude of drivers.

- Rolling back to windows 1511

- Restoring windows with a complete delete of everything

- Letting device manager update to 369.09 - issue still persisted

- Setting TDR to 8 and 10 etc

- Setting maximum performance in Nvidia options as well as setting maximum performance in windows options

- Downclocking my card by 100 mhz on both and 200mhz on memory

NONE of these helped at all. I would continually get a black screen after around 10 minutes of gaming and being forced to hard shut down. Upon viewing the windows event log I'd have the "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." error.

THE FIX

The one thing that has worked for me is boosting my fan speed to 100% rather than leaving it on automatic. Leaving it on automatic and viewing the stats via MSI afterburner the fan was working like normal on my 980 ti. It was kicking in at around 50 - 55c and boosting the higher it went. I found my pc constantly crashed when I hit around the 61c mark which is well within normal limits. Boosting the fan to 100% has held the temp around 41c max and I havent had a crash in two hours of gaming - even with my heavy OC I had stable for 18 months.

After two hours of stable gaming at 100% I decided to set the fan to auto again an monitor. Within 5 minutes it had reached 61 degrees at 40% fan and the system crashed to black screen.

This leads me to believe there may be an error with how windows or Geforce is responding to temperatures that are completely normal but seeing them as abnormal causing a crash.

If you're having the crashes try setting your fan to 100% and see if it helps you.

I hope it helps!