Ps4 pro

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Scorch666, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    Anyone thinking of getting this?

Spectacular Graphics : 4K TV owners can experience higher quality visuals, such as 4K quality resolution, as well as faster and more stable frame rates. HD TV users will also enjoy enhanced gameplay experiences on PS4™ titles in 1080p, along with higher and more stable frame rates.
    Ultimate Performance : Double the power with an incredible combination of visual quality and performance in a console.
    Enhanced Gameplay : Supporting faster frame rates for super-sharp and smoother on-screen action.
    High Dynamic Range (HDR) Technology : Visuals are more realistic, strikingly vivid and truer to what the human eye sees in the real world.
    Ultimate Share Play and Remote Play : Share or stream your games in stunning detail with visuals of up to 1080p and 60fps.
    More Connections : Features 2.4GHz/5GHz Wi-Fi mode options and HDMI 2.0 output.
    Two Consoles, One PS4 Family : Connect with friends on PlayStation 4 Pro and PlayStation 4 consoles, and hook up with the biggest online community of players with PlayStation Plus
    Games : All games are fully cross-compatible with PS4 Pro and PS4, and players compete online in the same multiplayer ecosystem.

But you will get a lot of upgrades when used with a 1080p tv. For examples, Rise of the Tomb Raider dev has said there will be 3 modes for the pro, 4K mode with mid/low setting, 1080p mode with higher frame rate, and 1080p mode with ultra settings. Jonathan Blow said the Witness game will have a 4K mode, but also a 1080p mode with better AA and possibly more affects. The other one so far is Horizon where the dev said 1080p would feature super sampling and have (possibly) more stability. I'm sure there are many more devs that will follow suit and offer different rendering options to the gamers, after all the majority of gamers will play on 1080p TVs. It's seems that Sony is trying push 4K with the pro (they need to sell those 4K TVs!) and yes the games will look much sharper, but with the Pro specs there going to be sacrifices in other areas to achieve stability. I would much rather have a 1080p resolution with all the bells and whistles.
    So you don't need to have a 4K tv, you will get a LOT of benefits over the standard OG PS4.

Also a reported 8.4 TFLOPS!!

2. pottu

pottu Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 / 4GB
    Yes, I'm getting it.
    Should be interesting enough.

4.2 FP32 TFLOPS
    8.4 FP16 TFLOPS.

And no, you cannot use FP16 for every calculation.

3. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Pre ordered one the day it was announced, can't wait to see what it can do.

4. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    The ps4 pro supports 5g WiFi would I notice an improvement over 2g ?

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Nope. No 4K Blu-Ray drive which is stupid considering how much Sony pushed Blu-Ray

6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    They're pushing their 4K players separately. I can understand why they did this.

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Yes so they can sell them at absurdly high prices. I'll be buying the Xbox Scorpio which will have one in it already.

8. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    Yeah what exactly is the Xbox Scorpio? Is it new gen. or just Xbox 1.5?

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Think of it as an XBone Pro.

I don't really care about UHD bluray as of now because none of the UHD movies are native 4K they are remastered from the bluray masters.

10. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've pre-ordered a PS4 Pro and booked next Thursday/Friday off (10th and 11th November) for a long weekend. I don't have a 4K TV but the reason for buying the Pro is simply to have more performance for 1080p games. I am hoping that developers will improve framerates at 1080p rather than just push for 30 fps at 4K (even though 4K or rather fake 4K downsampled would still give better image quality at 1080p). 60 fps at 1080p or even a stable 30 fps at that resolution would be fine by me.

It's a bit worrying though that just over a week away from launch that there still isn't much confirmation about which games are going to what improvements.

12. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/569zot/ps4_pro_4k_native_games_will_update_the_list/

13. SA SYS

SA SYS Guest

GPU:
    GEFORCE GTX 1080 FE
    Never been a console fan... but it seems the best game ever made ( red dead redemption 2 ) isn't coming to pc so i'll get PS4 PRO red dead redemption 2 bundle when it comes.

14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    It makes me laugh reading that list and reading 4K at 30 fps!!! lol

You'd think that with that extra graphical power it would be far more sensible to target 1080p and 60 fps but, no, 4K is the new 1080p and so naturally Sony have to run to get there with their consoles before they've even learnt to walk (metaphorically speaking).

It's not like the console actually has the power to render all its games natively at 4K anyway with many triple A games resorting to chequerboard rendering to upscale from a sub-4K resolution to 4K.

I really hope that Sony and developers see sense and that we see more emphasis on delivering 1080p games at 60 fps framerates rather than 4K at 30 fps (which I'm betting will still be prone to drops below 30 fps anyway just as they are on the current PS4 at 1080p).

15. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Sony promised 1080p with the PS3 and there are still games that aren't native 1080p on the PS4. Maybe when the PS8 comes we will get 4K

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Interesting read

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/11/01/how-ps4-pro-will-enhance-horizon-zero-dawn

17. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    The whole 4k thing is just bizzarre, and that is across the whole board from home TV to console and PC's, i mean 4k has not even caught on as the norm and now old 4k is out of date and new HDR 4k is in. lol

18. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, I have to agree, some people just won't be happy unless they are running @ '4K'.

I was an early adopter of 4K and at this point, the only place I have a 4K monitor is on my productivity box as it is the one place where 4K actually makes sense (screen real estate).

It's a buzzword that sells as I think many people feel that if they are not playing at '4K', they are missing out.

As Darren said, I would have concentrated more on 1080P @ 60FPS (high details) than 4K @ 30FPS (which I suspect the PS4 Pro will still have trouble sustaining in certain titles).

Viva la hype train ;)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  19. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    List of games available at launch.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-03-the-big-list-of-ps4-pro-enhanced-launch-games

20. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    I sold my PS4 Just to get the Pro version.

But since there are no really great games coming out this year(Last Guardian seems to be a bust), I will buy a bundle next year. Maybe with the new God of War? :D

And like you guys said before, I hope Sony will focus on 1080p 60FPS high details...