NVIDIA Tegra 6 will be a 64-bit chip for Android devices

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    It'll have to be really impressive. If Nvidia hasn't noticed yet, nobody wants their Tegra 4's. Qualcomm or a homebrew quad core cpu are in all high end phones and tablets. Not Tegra 4.

3. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    might just be me but i'd like a tegra phone : /

currently have a HTC one-X with tegra 3 soc and i have no complaints.
    have about 50% battery charge left after playing music over the speakers nonstop for 9 hours at work, having power for 3-4 days with wifi on at all times. can't complain.

infact the only reason i've not yet went for another soc is because i can't seem to find if they will infact last as long as the tegra 3 with the way i use the phone and well... the interface is never slow the battery lasts seemingly forever and carmageddon runs like a dream so no need for extra power atm.

also tegra 4 is known to have a big powerdraw hence it is only used in tables... like the nexus 7 and tegra 4i which is for smartphone's is due to pop up in phones early next year.

so yea with no SOC currently out for high end smartphones i'm not that supprised that no high end smartphones have a tegra soc, if one did it would suck since tegra 4 as mentioned is aimed at tablets so with a phone battery that probably wont play nice.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    With the performance of Logan showcased in the recent video I can honestly say that if this increase in performance carries on at the rate it is now then we shall see smartphones and tablets able to rival even next gen consoles within the next five years!

Project Logan running Ira was extremely impressive!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx0t-WJFXzo

And using only 2-3watts to produce something like that!!??

5. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    As shown by my avatar I had high hopes for Tegra 5+ years when it was announce as Tegra Apx 2500.

I really hoped they would had better success until now. Well, its never too late. ;)

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    That's because the main Tegra 4 doesn't have a built in radio and the Tegra4i is under powered compared to other offerings.

If the Tegra 5 has built in radios it should sell well, especially if it's carrying a Kepler GPU.

7. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Oh that's right, I forgot about that. Still find it a bit weird that they basically took themselves out of the running this time around.

Edit: Personally, I found the Tegra 3 to have really poor battery life.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  8. Phatzy

Phatzy Guest

Playing music non-stop is understandable since the processor is idle at around 50mhz but 3-4 days general use with wifi on, you are no way getting that. Possible with with data off and screen off you get 3-4 days 5 days max.

I got the One X international I do the odd text and the few calls a day with bluetooth on and only get about 20% left at the end of the day.

9. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Do people still care about Nvidia? They've totally dropped the ball and are on the verge of obscurity.

10. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    i actually am, custom rom + firmware ftw.
    granted it's with minimal use checking my mails now and then and thats it.

the custom rom + firmware seems to make way better use of the companion core, if i just have it lying around it generally drains 1% every 1-2 hours.
    though that is mainly due to wifi, if i have it running on 3g the drain increases and i might only hit 2 days, bluetooth is also quite a power drain.

HTC makes great phones but the stock software is kinda iffy.
    when i had the desire HD on the stock rom and normal use i could get about 8 hours out of it sometimes 9 ish (my phone was pretty much always dead when i finished work) with a custom rom i had about 20-30% left at the end of work.

and i still even use the stock 1800Mah battery, imagine if they slapped a properly sized one in this.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013