6800GT >> QudroFx4000 questions

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by quyeno, Nov 23, 2004.

1. fozzylyon

fozzylyon Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7800 GTX 256MB
    Before and after I get the second cpu OR with the extra pipes disabled/enabled?

2. Subtestube

Subtestube Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GV-N68128DH 6800 NU
    Just before and after Quad mod. I personally don't see a massive difference in Maya performance with Quadro mode enabled, and I'm wondering if there actually is a significant one. SpecViewPerf suggests there is, but I'd trust SpecAPC results much more. As I've said in other threads, I'd do it myself, but I get very odd results from SpecAPC at all, let alone before and after. Something else in my set up seems to be messing with it. As you actually have a real workstation, you might get some proper results.

3. fozzylyon

fozzylyon Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7800 GTX 256MB
    Well, I tried it, but Maya wouldn't load with the mayaTest script added. I'll try again tomorrow because it would be beneficial to know how much gain there is.

I'll create some high poly count scenes as well for more real world benchmarks.

4. p25o1

p25o1 Guest

Cool thread ,,, it's cool that you can do that ,, just a question can i do the same to 6600gt , i think maybe its possible to mod it to 540 fx.?

should i follow the same steps?

5. prisoner881

prisoner881 Active Member

I've softmodded my 6800 Ultra to a QFX 4000. Everything's properly detected by the drivers, and 3D Studio Max lets me load the Maxtreme drivers. All seems well, so I figured I'd run a benchmark.

I ran SPEC ViewPerf 8.0 on my Athlon 64 3200+ (MSI K8 Neo2 Platinum, 1GB of dual-channel Corsair XMS 3200-LL). I got a score of 22.95, which ain't all that stellar according to similar systems on SPEC's website (the top is an Opteron 150 using a Wildcat Realizm, scoring around 44). I would've expected better performance. Is anyone else getting better scores out of a Socket 939 Athlon 64 3200+ with a softmodded QFX 4000? I'm using the 71.42 beta drivers.

Also, I've tried playing HL2 on my softmodded card. It runs very poorly, and the water doesn't display at all. Anyone else have these issues? It did this on the 6x.xx drivers, so I tried the 71.42 betas to see if they fixed it. No dice.

6. Xeon XT

Xeon XT Guest

GPU:
    Unlocked MSI N465GTX GE
    To fix the water issue, you need to go to the console and type in mat_clipz 0. I don't know what why you have bad performance though because it runs as smooth as it did when it was a 6800.

7. fozzylyon

fozzylyon Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7800 GTX 256MB
    You might want to try the bios mod & see how performance fairs.

8. prisoner881

FYI, that 22.95 score is the 3DMax portion of the test only.

9. prisoner881

Thanks! I'll give that a try. I think "runs poorly" part isn't a performance issue, it's a "it crashes constantly" issue. I think my 400W PS isn't up to the task of running two HD's, a GF 6800 Ultra, a DVD burner, and the aforementioned mobo/CPU/RAM combo. I've got a 480W PS waiting to go in this weekend.

10. snead

snead Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 6800GT
    Hey fozzylyon -- very interested in your results, since I have the same graphics board in a very similar system, yet have been unable to get those kind of results so far. And I also primarily work in Maya 6.01. Can you help me out? And please bear with me, I'm no guru.

UPDATE: I searched around a bit more, and found the instructions from Tesselate (which have changed since I tried this last) and all the files for that upgrade. Just tried it again, thinking I missed something the first time. Modded Dell bios, flashed card, used newest RivaTuner 15.3 to unmask to 16x1. Not seeing any improvement. Can you confirm that's the path you followed?

Also had same deal with the original 6800GT bios and RivaTuner-only enhancements.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005

11. fozzylyon

fozzylyon Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7800 GTX 256MB
    Which drivers are you using, snead?

12. star_f

star_f Member

GPU:
    Ati HD4870, 512 MB
    low specview 8.01 (to prisoner881)

Had quite the same low score in 3ds and other tests, till I found that I had selected "3ds" in "custom application settings" in the driver.I reset that to defaults (no app-specific settings) and scores went up.

With 75.90 drivers, it's about 37 in 3ds test.

13. fozzylyon

fozzylyon Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7800 GTX 256MB
    Scores after installing second cpu

3dsmax-03 = 31.76

catia-01 = 25.06

ensight-01 = 22.22

light-07 = 21.73

maya-01 = 43.64

proe-03 = 35.92

sw-01 = 21.68

ugs-04 = 28.57

An increase in every portion, though not as significant in the Maya segment.

14. snead

snead Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 6800GT
    66.93. :rolleyes:

OK, I know that's wrong, not sure at what point that happened.

I'll try 70.78...

But can you first confirm the stuff I was asking before -- meaning which modded bios you're using, etc, plus which rivaTuner tweaks, are you using straight Maya OpenGL settings in driver, etc... Definitely will give it another shot and report back.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  15. fozzylyon

fozzylyon Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7800 GTX 256MB
    I'm using the modded Dell bios and I unmasked to 16x1,6vp. I also checked the Unlock pro capabilities. And lastly, my NVIDIA application settings are set for Maya.

16. snead

snead Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 6800GT
    Yahoo!!!

As soon as I saw the speed of that werewolf surfing around on that polygon plane, I knew I was in for a good time...

42.66 SpecViewPerf Maya!

And BTW, that's using just Rivatuner 15.3 and the 70.78 Forceware drivers. Original 6800 GT BIOS left intact.

I may try it w/the Dell BIOS, but I don't expect a big difference -- when I was flipping back and forth between that BIOS and pure RivaTuner (using older drivers) the performance was virtually identical. And it's tempting to mess with overclocking, but my case runs hot already.

Will see what other changes I can see in Maya, and will run full Maya SpecApp test when I have 2 hours to kill... but right now I am a happy camper indeed.

Thanks fozzy for motivating me to try this again!

And thanks of course to Unwinder for being the dude...

17. Kojotex

Kojotex New Member

Hi,
    i have a Gf 6800le, with 16x5 pipes working and enabled in Bios.
    I use linux only, so i never have to run games with direct3d, only opengl. Will there be any Improvement when flashing a quadrofx bios?
    thanks

18. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Yes, flashing it with the Dell Engineering Quadro FX 4000 BIOS will make it perform faster in Linux. Just make sure you disable(mask) the bad VP using RivaTuner's BIOSpatchscript...