RivaTuner 2.08 - Enable driver-level hardware overclocking - Fixed

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by ESPNSTI, Apr 1, 2008.

1. ESPNSTI

ESPNSTI New Member

GPU:
    eVGA e-GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
    Hi,

I'm posting this just in case someone else is having this problem.

A few weeks ago, I installed Vista x64 and I'd thought I'd give RivaTuner a try.
    I installed 2.08, changed the low-level auto fan speed control rules, enabled driver-level hardware overclocking, created a launcher shortcut for Crysis 64 bit and everything was running peachy. :thumbup:

Cut to a week or so later... I fire up my PC, and open up RivaTuner to take a peek at something, and to my surprise, the "enable driver-level hardware overclocking" is not checked and the clocks are listed as "N/A":
    [​IMG]

So I try clicking "Reboot" and after the reboot it comes back up with the checkbox still in unchecked state, so I click "Detect Now" and that doesn't change anything either.

Of course between the time that it worked and no longer worked, I had changed about a zillion things including installing all sorts of programs, and even upgrading from 2GB to 4GB.
    So I start uninstalling things, and I try a system restore, but that doesn't work.
    I Google to see if someone else has run in to something like this and I try all the suggestions such as uninstall display drivers, run driver sweeper, etc...

By now, even nTune (which I only use to look at things) isn't able to show the GPU clock speeds. (And yes, I've tried uninstalling nTune as well.)
    After a solid 4 or 5 hours of trying stuff though, I give up and decide to sleep on it.

Then today, after work, I turn on the PC and my TV (that I've hooked up to it using an HDMI cable) since I want to watch some WRC.
    I use my handy dandy vbscript batch file to switch my primary monitor from my PC to my TV (it uses UltraMon to do that).
    I decide to check RivaTuner (while having the TV as the primary monitor) and to my surprise... "enable driver-level hardware overclocking" is checked and the clocks are showing as normal.

I now start to realize what may have happened.
    When I used my PC to TV switching script before, it may have either confused or changed some sort of display adapter or monitor order in either RivaTuner and/or in the Nvidia Driver or something to that effect.
    In any case, RivaTuner by default came up with the "NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS / (Default Monitor)" in the "Target adapter" instead of "NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS / LG L204WT":
    [​IMG]

FYI, I don't have two adapters (don't have SLI), so I assume it shows one entry for each monitor connection.
    After I switched the primary monitor back to my PC, I set the "Target adapter" to "NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS / LG L204WT", and sure enough, the settings were all there:
    [​IMG]

Now I could have sworn that I tried this when I initially was trying to trouble shoot this, but who knows, maybe I had something else not set right at the time.

In any case, this was not that apparent to me that this was the problem (evidently), but I'm happy that I got it working again, since it's a great program. :thumbup:

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

By design of ForceWare you can adjust the clocks only for primary head. Providing independent clock controls for the second head is physically impossible. And it was this way for ages, and it will always be so.

3. Joep514

Joep514 New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8600GTS
    Hi, I have been having the same problem of not being able to check the "Enable driver-level hardware overclocking" check box, but I only have one monitor. What are some other problems that I might be having that I can change so I will be able to keep the box checked?

4. rhadiquool

rhadiquool New Member

GPU:
    G92 8800GTS 512MB
    im having the same issue, following that guide didnt help me.

im getting to the end of my wits here

5. rhadiquool

rhadiquool New Member

GPU:
    G92 8800GTS 512MB
    I found out what the problem was, i posted it in This thread here

But for anyone wondering, if your in x64 with SP1 installed, you must use WHQL signed drivers.

more in the thread above

6. ESPNSTI

ESPNSTI New Member

GPU:
    eVGA e-GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
    Well the drivers being WHQL or not can't be the whole story. (At least not for me.)
    If you look at the picture in the first post, you'll see that I'm running 169.44.
    And since then I've moved to 174.74.

Now I must say that I might not have uninstalled 169.25 before moving to 169.44 and 174.74 the last time, so maybe that has something to do with it?

7. rhadiquool

rhadiquool New Member

GPU:
    G92 8800GTS 512MB
    im using 169.25

i had 174.74 installed, i uninstalled, then used drivercleaner.net in safemode..

then installed 169.25 (WHQL) and volia it worked again

so to test it, i installed 169.44 Beta, and it stopped working again.

Try it it works