How do I get into Safe Mode with Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by miffywiffy, Oct 26, 2012.

1. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Since using Windows Update and restarting my Monitor just flashes slowly with a black screen and wont show anything.

I need to boot into safe mode but F8 isn't working.

Thanx

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've found no "safe mode" myself.....instead, if you start tapping F8 as soon as you turn the computer on, you'll come up to a list of options. Just have to find the right one. I just had to reset my Win8 install after trying to install graphics drivers. Not sure what's going on as I've been running the 90-day Enterprise trial for nearly 2 months with no issues at all.

3. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Safe Mode in Win8 needs to be enabled beforehand, unfortunately.
    Here's how.

4. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Windows 8 is a PoS, I'm going back to 7, much better.

I decided to pull the power to see if I could get a safe mode menu that way like other Windows have. Instead auto fixed and deleted everything.... now I have to start back from when I just installed my video and Audio drivers.

What an unstable mess, Windows 7 was far better.

5. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Seems to be Windows Update breaking it, something on there that is borked.

6. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Hardly ideal...

7. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    That's crap, if your install goes bad how can you enable safe mode?! That's just awful.

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
  9. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    It doesn't matter Windows 8 decided to delete everything and start a fresh from an early restore point by itself, even though I turned System Restore off but somehow it decided to make a backup somewhere without my permission?

I'm installing Windows 7 again now lol, much better. I thought £25 isn't much, I might as well... worst £25 quid I spent since Just Cause.

10. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    What previously only required pressing a single button when booting windows, now requires a written guide to understand? Win 8 design at it's best :bang:

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Quite an odd decision, small things like this really put me off.

Don't forget having to check youtube to find out how to shut down, worse than Assassin's Creed 1 for the PC .. lol.

12. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    How do you turn off? I just hit the button on my PC case and eventually it decides it wants to turn off after like 30 seconds.

13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I came across the black screen problem with Windows 8 as well after updating the default v304.79 graphics drivers to v310.33. I tried to access Safe Mode but couldn't find out how. The normal tapping F5 did not have me any options and when I held down F5 I was instead given various repair options. I chose the Refresh option but it ended up removing most of my application settings and games. The full account is here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4440470&postcount=1

Personally, this experience has left a very sour taste in my mouth and I've decided to stick with Windows 7 for now, now that I've safely recovered my backup (I'm so glad I made one before installing Windows 8).

14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    It's horrible isn't it? To turn off your PC, you have to move the mouse to the top-left of the screen and the Charm bar will pop out. You then select Settings then click on Power. You're finally given the option to Restart, Shut down, etc. Very cumbersome IMO as it was simply a case of hitting the Start button on Windows 7 and clicking on 'Shut down'.

I also found selecting the Start screen from the bottom-right annoying too as I kept clicking on Internet Explorer in the Quickbar instead!

The only thing I liked about Windows 8 was that it felt faster (that's probably more to do with Aero not running that coding optimizations though) and that Internet Explorer 10 was staggeringly fast. I pretty much hated everything else about it, granted my bad experiences meant I never got to learn it properly.

15. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    I don't know if there was a faster way to turn it off but i had to go bottom right menu > settings > shutdown. Is that the fastest way? If Microsoft keeps this up my next os will be linux based.

When i tried it i wanted to test boot up time on windows 8 so it spammed F8 to pause before boot only to have it boot normal with no menu. >:0 Not going back.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
  17. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Fastest way to shutdown for me is the power button, press it once, it displays shutting down for about 2 seconds, done.

18. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Use Start8, You get shutdown/reboot back and a start button as well.

I know I know, you shouldn't have to spend 5 dollars on it, but it's still cheaper than win7 was if you pre ordered win8, and you get your startbar back fully functional.

I'm having no issues with my Win8 installation so far. Everything took off no problem. I did a direct upgrade from Windows 7. The only thing I had to do was it warned me to uninstall the ASUS Bluetooth suite, and Intel nic drivers. It ended up installing its own drivers for both during the install anyway, and were up to date.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  19. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    No different for me running Windows 7 with UEFI, tapping F8 does nowt, hardly Win8s fault, but I guess people just use any excuse to bash a product when its the cool thing to be doing.

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Safemode from boot = If the system fails to boot once or twice it will automatically enter advanced startup options mode (safe mode)

Just hit reset while windows is loading a couple times and it will boot to safemode

I heard hitting SHIFT + F8 will also take you to safemode but I haven't tried yet

I agree I would have liked that option back too, for scenarios such as virus removal etc

From inside windows, see here

[​IMG]