60fps Vsync - Inconsistent Frametimes

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by PapaJohn, Nov 30, 2016.

1. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    First off, I'm under no illusion that my specs are great, I have an OLD computer.

i3 530 @2.93Ghz
    4 Gb DDR3 1333Mhz CL9
    GTX 750 Ti

The CPU is weak and the GPU is merely adequate for 1080p. I know I have to lower settings in more modern titles to get desired results.

My problem is, that even if I can maintain a locked 60fps in any game the Nvidia Vsync and Adaptive Vsync options never gives a consistent 16.6ms. It jumps around a lot, up to 17.5ms and drops under to 15.8 even whilst maintaing 60fps. This causes mouse/controller stutter, sometimes in game stutter and also the adaptive vsync tears when it goes above!

In game vsync (depending on the game) is generally fine and gives the expected 16.6ms if locked at 60fps.

I've been playing Skyrim Special Edition and that's really what has finally brought me here to try and get solutions. In game Vsync holds 16.6ms when at 60fps but as it is double buffered I'll immediately drop down to 30 in more demanding areas and this can cause rapid jumps up and down.

I then decided to try Nvidia Adaptive Vsync, I turned off the Vsync in Skyrim SE ini and set it to Adaptive Vsync in Inspector.

This works but in inside areas it will lock to 60fps with inconsistent frametimes and some tearing when it gets higher frametimes (ie above 16.6ms still at 60fps).

Vsync off with any game seems to maintain consistent frametimes but obviously tearing occurs.

Is this a TV refresh rate issue? I have a Samsung 1080p HDTV, connected via HDMI.

Any thoughts/solutions greatly appreciated :)

EDIT - I used to have a more powerful rig i5 4690k@4.5Ghz, 8gb 2400 DDR3 and a GTX 970 and I believe this was an issue as well, using the same TV.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    The best solution for games that have crappy frame pacing has always been RTSS for me. It comes with MSI Afterburner. Cap the framerate to 60 in RTSS, and the frame times should be way more stable.

As a bonus, this also reduces vsync input lag. At least if your monitor is set up for "true" 60Hz (unfortunately, many monitors use 59.94Hz instead of 60, but you can fix that with CRU.)

Note: you don't need to enable the OSD or have Afterburner running. Just running RTSS on its own and entering "60" in the frame limiter box is enough.

3. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    Thanks for your response RealNC.

How would I go about using CRU to set my display as 60Hz?. In some games it actually shows it as 59.94.

In the case of Skyrim, If I use RTSS to lock at 60fps with adaptive Vsync it still tears when I hit the 60fps lock. Is there a frame limiter that can be used with Nvidia Adaptive Vsync that will not tear when the game is consistently running at 60fps?

Thank you. Downloading CRU now.

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I'd first try an EDID override using CRU by disabling the extension block completely. (Click the drop down box).

Then reset the driver with Restart64.exe.

This will not give you audio out of HDMI. But it's a quick easy way to test to see if HDMI Video timings are interfering. As this will cause it to be treated as just a DVI monitor.

If that doesn't fix it, i'd still make a custom extension block. And only enable Audio support. Change the detailed resolution refresh rate to 59.999 (look at the numbers as you change it to the right iirc. It will auto round to give you teh real numbers)

5. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    The problem might also lie in Skyrim's crappy coding. Although the SE is in DX11, the entire engine relies heavily on V-Sync. I was never able to play Skyrim 100% smoothly, although the GPU was only at 80% load and 60FPS (and I was not CPU bottlenecked either).

Try to play more in third person mode, this was more smooth for me. Whenever I switched to the first person mode, it became jittery.

6. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    4GB memory is pretty slim for holding consistent frame rates on recent games.
    I'd guess you are maxing out that 4GB or very close to it.

If your memory is completely filled and the game needs to allocate more. Your OS will need to swap memory pages to your hard drive (swap file). This will usually show up in the game as hitching or stuttering.

If you can I'd try to upgrade your memory... I'll need to check when I get home but I think I have 8GB of DDR3 in my desk drawer at home. I'd be happy to sell it to you cheap if your in the US.

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    CRU can edit the monitor's current extension block now. You don't need to create a new one anymore.

8. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    you could try forcing triple buffering in nvcp with capping the framerate with rtss as Realnc has suggested.

forcing triple buffering will increase input lag, but it will help prevent frame dips below refreshrate.

9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    TB only works in OpenGL.

10. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    It works on dx using nvidia cards atleast, d3doverrider also allowed you to do it, though im not sure if it would still work on windows 10/8.1

edit:ah so I read that it is not working in nvcp ohwell.
    d3doverrider might still be worth a shot however

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Oh snap? Really? Haven't updated in a while. I'm off to play with that.

12. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    First off, thanks for all your replies.

I have now set 60hz refresh via CRU, I assume this is correct? -

[​IMG]

No change unfortunately, in game vsync when hitting 60fps displays consistent 16.6ms but obviously flits between 30fps 33.3/60fps 16.6 because of its double buffered vsync.

However, disabling in game vsync and using Nvidia control panel vsync, when hitting 60fps it is NOT a consistent 16.6ms and on top of that it's double buffered as well.

@Shadowdane - Although yes 4gb RAM is slim pickings, this game actually handles memory management excellently. No stuttering or hitching in game, if I turn vsync off I can play for hours with no pauses/stuttering/hitching/loading issues but obviously get bad tearing. (I am however getting a very cheap extra 4Gb RAM locally this weekend :) )

D3D Overrider won't work as it's a 64 bit game

As stated - NVCP Triple buffering is for Open GL titles only

Windowed Borderless displays hitching and stuttering but does utilize a triple buffered os solution.

I hasten to add that Nvidia Vsync seems to display these 60fps frametime inconsistencies in most titles (Adaptive vsync as well) whereas in game solutions seem to work fine.

13. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    RadeonPro still works. You can use that for triple buffering.

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    As mentioned previously, you can use RTSS to fix that. The whole business with setting the monitor to 60Hz is that the 60FPS frame limiter works better.

15. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Vsync On pownz I would never and have never played it vsync off and screen tearing nasty.

16. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    If I limit with RTSS whilst using Adaptive vsync (which I have to use due to double buffer) it tears at 60fps.??? Why should it do that?:bang:

@Terepin - Thank you for that suggestion.Tried Radeon Pro and for some reason the vsync/triple buffering won't hook with Skyrim SE

If I had a bloody G-sync monitor, even on this rig, the game would look and play fantastic at Ultra. I think I'd rather get a new rig though to justify that cost first.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  17. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    it means the framerate is either not synced with the monitors refresh rate or adaptive vsync thinks the framrate is below the monitors refreshrate.

the other thing to try is running skyrim se in borderless windowed mode.
    the windows compositor will handle vsync if the application is in windowed mode.

18. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I'm guessing you're also hitting cpu limitation here to make the problem worse. I doubt those programs will resolve your problem.

19. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It's for vsync. Not adaptive vsync.

Your only other option is to play in borderless windowed mode, vsync off and RTSS 60FPS. There's gonna be some microstutter, but that's your only option if RadeonPro doesn't work for you.

20. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    New rig it is then, I'll see what Zen brings and take it from there. Thanks for the ideas and suggestions everyone.