Even though I'm on a budget, this is a hard choice.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by CarsonAnarchist, Feb 23, 2017.

1. CarsonAnarchist

CarsonAnarchist Guest

GPU:
    Asus ROG Strix Rx 480 8GB
    Alright, so, in November, I bought an RX 480 for myself, it worked fine, about a month later, I bought another, for my father.

Then I looked into Vega. It looks so damn promising, so I need some help.

Should I just go ahead and get another RX 480 to crossfire,
    or should I go ahead and get Vega?

I am aware CFing my 480's is easier on the wallet. It's also less performance.
    But Vega looks like it'd last me a long while.

I am going for a GPU that'll last me a long long time, and I can't get too much, as I am getting Ryzen, DDR4 ram, a new Motherboard, and some cooling solutions.

Thank you for reading, and if any of you have any suggestions, please tell me.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    What makes you think that?

No details of this upcoming GPU is even out.

For all we know it could be two GPUs on a single card aimed at 1080.

If their GPU is close or better performing than 1080/ti you can expect similar prices.
    Just look at their top end fury x release. More expensive and slightly slower than 980ti at the time.

Not sure what your definition of a long while is.
    a year, 5 years?

480 is a mid-ish range GPU, it won't last a while unless you are playing 1080P and are willing to lower settings.

Also would strongly suggest you stick with one card, most of these newer titles(mainly console ports) don't even support multigpu.

You should probably just wait it out and decide before making a decision now.

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    1.5GHz, 250W, 4096 shaders. That's a minimum Fury X + 50% frequency and 8GB HBM 2. That's 1080/Titan XP territory without any architectural improvements.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Your CPU is likely to be limiting factor in many games if you increase total GPU power.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I agree, that applies to Crossfiring the RX480 or waiting for Vega 11 (supposedly RX580). Vega is rumoured to be a very significant change from Polaris, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    By the looks of it, Ryzen will absolutely not be a limiting factor.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Go for Vega, sell the 480 you got if you can once Vega is out.

Going for mGPU might be problematic currently, that might improve in the future, but it's hard to say when, and how much.

Also, I'd advise you to not blindly go for Vega until at least some benches are out confirming what everybody thinks they'll read out of pure whitepaper stats. That's like preordering a great game that looks great and everything... just to find out it's bug ridden. You won't lose much not being a preorder buyer of hardware, and not waiting a week longer ;)

8. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Go Vega. I'm a 4+ year and counting CFX user. I loved it at first and still do now but the overall noise, heat (in the summer!!) and when a certain game is NOT CFX compatible experience would tell me to get a single GPU as FAST or FASTER than CFX is the better option, even if it is a little more.

The worst case is that later you can CFX TWO of those Vegas for even more power (4K) or get the next big change when it launches.

I could have gotten 480 CFX on day one, but will hold out for Vega or 1080 Ti or faster since my next target resolution is 4K.

If 8K comes out earlier, I don't even know what to do... :D

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Right, my reading error. Overlooked Ryzen and just checked Carson's current HW.
    (Somehow I considered it as question if CF or nor with his current setup.)