Can my System run these games at 4x SGSSAA?

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by SergeTroy, Mar 11, 2017.

1. SergeTroy

SergeTroy Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 8G
    Hello to the community, and thanks upfront to anyone able to lend me some advice. I'm a pretty terrible noob when it comes to these cards, and my recently purchased GTX 1070 is the first one of the family I can say I'll have used. I'll include my full system specs at the end to give the most information, but let me start with what I'm trying to figure out.

Firstly, the games that I'm looking at running are all relatively old games: Mass Effect 1 - 3, Dragon Age: Origins, Half-Life 2 and it's episodes plus some expanded content, and Wasteland 2 the Director's Cut. The graphics card I have specifically is MSI's GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G. Which is nice, but my CPU is the i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz (3.8 Turbo (currently OC'd to 4.2)) and I have 16 GB of RAM. Again, full system specs below. So, it's a fairly old system with the majority of parts from 2012, and some newer parts switched in since. I'm looking at a few sources in regards getting the settings just right for the games, but I'm also trying to cut down on too much time spent experimenting with settings. I've looked to this post/guide on gnd-tech ("How To: Use NVIDIA Inspector to Greatly Improve Image Quality in Pre-DX10 Games") as something of a blueprint, but obviously the author has a superior graphics card and CPU (the 1080 and an i7-6700k @ 4.6 GHz) to my own.

I'm only running this on a 1920x1200 24" monitor at max 59 - 60 Hertz in refresh rate (variations of V-sync enabled), but I'm curious if I can get away with 4x SGSSAA and still hold on to somewhere between 50 fps and above or not. Much thanks in advance to anyone that can give me some idea or suggest other settings to try if I'm overreaching for the best quality possible while still retaining performance. :)

Full System Specs – homebuilt
    OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (had issues with a Win10 home clean reinstall)
    CPU: i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz (3.8 Turbo))
    CPU Fan: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+
    MOBO: ASUS Maximus V EXTREME Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
    RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum Series — 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 DRAM 1600MHz C9 Memory Kit [CMD16GX3M2A1600C9]
    PSU: COOLER MASTER RS-A50-SPHA-D3 Silent Pro Hybrid 1050W Intel ATX 12V V2.3 & SSI EPS 12V V2.92
    GPU / Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 DirectX 12 GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ATX Video Card w/ most current driver
    Primary Drive (Local Disk (C:)) - SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    Secondary Drive (Games (E)) - SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal SSD
    Tertiary Storage in two Volumes (F & G): Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal HDD

Peripheral Stuff (Case, Display, Keyboard & Mouse)
    Case: COOLER MASTER COSMOS II RC-1200-KKN1 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    Monitor: Dell UltraSharp U2410 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor with PremierColor
    Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB Tunable Gaming Mouse
    Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard w/ Cherry MX RGB Red switches

2. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Usually games from that "era" don't use more than 4 threads so a i5 is enough. I don't have too much experience with SGASAA. I only tried on Valkyria Profile but with SGSSAA X8 and HBAO+ i have 76FPS Vsync without drops.
    A GTX1070 for DX9 games is overkill ! ahahah. Don't worry your setup still pretty strong :)

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Why don't you try it?

4. SergeTroy

SergeTroy Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 8G
    Hey lexer98 and RealNC, thanks for your comments and apologies for not even acknowledging them earlier. I'm coming to the end of my first term back to school after 12 years in customer service, and it just seemed that absolutely everything was piling on. So basically, I just needed some time to keep my mouth shut and park a mountain under my butt while I thought zen thoughts.

For both, I am actually currently implementing the 4x SGSSAA on both DAO and ME2 currently, with a current aim now of adding in SweetFX (or ReShadeMe, I guess). Seems to be working fine, though I have that strong desire to use FRAPs or perhaps MSI Afterburner to get a bit of a gauge of my FPS as stands. The brain is currently just not equipped to objectively judge that, :p

Hope you both are having a good one, peace. :)