Windows 10 Build 10041 Live

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Mar 18, 2015.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    MS has never been able to get "automatic repair" to work properly in the past. Now you expect it to work properly in this "technical preview"? You're expecting too much. That feature is reserved for a future version of Windows.....

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol yea, Windows 20

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It's reserved for Windows 9..... They decided to skip it when they decided to skip Windows 9....

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    So next time around then, once they clock their numbering scheme and start again

-
    Even though I'm not that interested in Win 10, Im pleased I installed it on my little tablet, there is still a small amount of magic in updating Windows builds (For about 5 minutes anyway)

Let's see what 10049 brings to the table

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I won't install Win10 on my tablet until it's finalized. Same with my laptop.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    My tablet is just a little play thing, which I wasn't using with 8.1 installed anyway, so might as well put it to some use and mess about with 10 on it

Not installing it on my main machine until RTM though, and even then it'll likely be dualboot to start with

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'll decide what I want to do after RTM, when MS is done making changes.

8. jason

jason Guest

GPU:
    onboard
    anyone know when RTM is goin to be released?

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Rumoured for August (MSDN etc), and I'd put a bet on October for public release

10. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I read that they trying for a summer release.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Looks like it's possible, some conflicting info though - I don't think they're anywhere near a June release stage yet though, I hope not anyway

---
    Regarding Windows 10, Redmond Channel Partner published the 2015 Microsoft Product Roadmap, which states that the anticipated release of Windows 10 is for Fall 2015. Yet Neowin reported that Microsoft has targeted June for the Windows 10 RTM release. With June as the release to manufacturing (RTM) date, as opposed to August, manufacturers will have Windows 10 on devices in time for back to school shoppers instead of Windows 10 devices being ready only by the holiday shopping season.

12. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    anybody else have this problem

I have steam pinned to my taskbar but for some reason when steam is running I have two icons on the taskbar

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I finally got build 10041 to install. I had to spend some time in diskpart deleting and creating partitions until I got the partition structure the way the Win10TP installer wanted it. Now I can dualboot Win8.1 and 10 without issue.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Nice one, what's the verdict then, was it worth the effort?

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It took 15 minutes to install Win10. It took an hour to "upgrade" from build 10041 to 10049.... It looks to be a bit more "customizable" than 9926 was.....unless I just simply missed options. I like that the "start menu" can be resized to take up the entire screen. The "store" still sucks though....

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol yea the upgrade takes forever, there's some issue with it running out of space for some people according to Gabe, not sure exactly what that means, but I read a guy on MDL forums saying it took 8 hours for the upgrade to finally complete

I hate the new start menu, they went though that whole thing of removing the start screen because people didn't like it, and replaced it with...... another start screen that can be small or back to more or less the exact same as it was before

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I have no issue with the start screen. I prefer it over the start menu. I do think they should allow a choice between a "classic" start menu, the "new" start menu and the start screen. That would make everyone happy.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea that's exactly what I said in my numerous insiders reports, give us the choice during install to select the classic menu or the new modern one, but I think MS are trying to port the entire OS over to whatever they code the Metro side with, so the classic menu is long gone IMO

The problem I have with the new version is that there is absolutely no right click useful functionality any more, even pinning folders, libraries, etc and setting it up as close to the classic menu as possible, it is still no use as right click even on things like "My PC" or whatever they called "Computer" now, only gives tile menu options such as resize, unpin etc

I want paste, manage, properties etc etc

If they could return the normal useful right click context to that new menu, then make is easier to pin and make look nice the normal things the classic menu has, I could get used to it, but in it's current form, I don't see it being any use whatsoever to me

All this is irrelevant though if StartIsBack is updated to work with 10 RTM, no menu was the reason I stopped using Win 8 at the beginning, and SIB was the reason I started using it again

Classic shell works too, but nowhere near as well integrated and polished IMO

19. Feliks

Feliks Guest

GPU:
    R9 280x 3GB
    For Fookdat

Fookdat, sorry that this is random and no it does not pertain to this topic but rather another you're in (moderators, please don't ban me as I just joined and am getting used to things here, and I'm not allowed to PM or post links or I'd do that instead.)

If you could, could you please go back and check out your old thread "MSI R9-280X 3G Gaming Coil Whine / Buzz"

How did this end up going? Did it ever cause any problems with your GPU, etc? I'm planning on doing the same thing with mine, I just don't want to end up overheating or damaging my card at all. My card is a PowerColor Radeon R9 280x.

Reply to it in that thread that way this one stays on topic. Sorry for bringing it here, I just wasn't sure you were still subscribed to that thread and wanted to make sure you got my message (since i'm not even allowed to PM on here yet.. not my favorite system but not my place :)

Thank you.