NVIDIA GeForce 301.24 Beta Drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by DeusEXMachina, Apr 9, 2012.

1. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Betas are official drivers that haven't been retested by Microsoft. These are fully tested by Nvidia themselves and are either better, as good or worse than the previous WHQL set. Ignore the beta moniker.

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Betas are for NVidia to test fixes/patches/features 'before' putting them in a driver submitted for WHQL evaluation.
    Sometimes the fix doesnt need extra work and produces what you find to be a good driver.

WHQL evaluation isnt cheap so they need to verify what goes into them is going to work, rather than failing the evaluation many times until they get a pass.

Given that betas are used for testing, its pretty easy to see why you are likely to have problems.
    This is what NVidia wants to find out and is the whole point of releasing betas to the public, for testing and feedback.

3. Anthrax27

Anthrax27 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    When the F*CK are they going to fix the 30fps (during animations and sometimes during replays) bug in FIFA 12?

4. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Tell that to the WHQL driverset that literally killed cards by burning them up. Betas are, more or less, the same as WHQL. Also from experience, I usually stick with beta sets over WHQL more often than not since they usually have better performance and haven't been delayed weeks to months waiting for a useless and costly certification from Microsoft.

Remember that when a new game comes out, you are either stuck using a WHQL set from a month or two prior with gimped performance while those that know the "beta/WHQL" name means literally nothing and are getting the best performance for the game they just paid $60 for.

To add to this, It's the leaked alpha driversets that you need to let only the extreme enthusiasts play with.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If a WHQL driver damages a card, you can make a warranty claim.
    If a beta causes damage, there is no support.

I'll point you to NVidias Beta statement.
    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx
    Click the 'Beta Release' link on the right.

You could have looked this up yourself instead of posting rubbish and arguing about it.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Beta drivers are just drivers without the whql tag. They can be better, same, or worse than whql drivers. You have to try them for yourself. Ymmv as to which driver is best for your individual system. This beta is slightly better than the last whql I tested.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    See the previous post.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    No thanks man.

9. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    Tested this driver with The Witcher 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Metro 2033 al work fine only not with Crysis 2 i get flikkering textures and a bit stuttering anyone else got the same problem with crysis 2 and sli or without it ? in overal great driver and good IQ only crysis 2 dont work so well with this driver thats al.

10. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    I haven't tried Crysis 2 yet, but BF3 works great with this set.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    cause people on nvidia forums dont want to asnwer this i will ask it again here.

Do these drivers actual have optimizing in it for swtor? cause I have quote from manualg saying they already optimized drivers for swtor and dont plan to do anymore, which is why I updated to 296.10. only to find out that was a bs lie cause game ran same fps as it did with 275.33.

Also the FXAA does it function in swtor?

12. connta

connta Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX660Ti TwinFrozr IV
    fxaa functions in everything that uses shaders... and thats just about everything.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    ok so does that mean you tried it in swtor? fxaa injector was supposed to work in all apps too but to get to work in swtor you had to modify the client.

14. korn666

korn666 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 295
    Adaptive V-Sync or framerate target ??? what do u guys use?:pc1:

15. johnuhtron

johnuhtron Guest

GPU:
    GTX 570 sli
    Hi techfreak thanks for the reply,

as i am running nvidia surround it downgrades to 2x AA anyway but on crysis i was running with no AA, previous drivers had an average of 40 fps in surround at 5760 x 1080 and did not lag when turning left or right, even dark messiah running at stupendous fps lags when i turn left or right with these 301 drivers. A very strange problem indeed, i doubt its system performance despite the symptoms suggesting a lack of Vram.

I did try what you said anyway with no change with the problem, any other suggestions welcome though.

Cheers. John.

16. TechFreaK

TechFreaK Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX570 Custom OC
    Hi again,

hm then it could something with texture streaming or the way it handles them with 301.xx driver and that somehow causes this vram leakage effect at high resolutions.

Here is a good tip to save some vram, if you're not using it already :)

right-click on all those games and by compatibility tab check disable visual themes and disable desktop composition. Or even simpler when you play switch to classic theme..

And you could to try Dark Messiah in windowsXP sp3 compatibility mode, maybe will run better.

17. styka

styka Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 480 8GB RD
    just go to the profile and set maximum performance for fifa 12.. the issue is just it downlocks to 405 on animations and replays.

18. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    i always set max aa and max performance for fifa 12 through nvidia control panel and i dont see any downclocks during play

19. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    @TK and Samtroy, Mufflore is a good friend of mine, and I will back him up on this one. Beta drivers are not Whql certified, whether it's because microsoft decides that they have bugs or not, they are still considered beta... It's true that they can be as good or even better than whql ceritified ones doesn't change the fact that beta means still in testing phase which is what Mufflore is saying. :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

20. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Just installed these. So far, seem really good. No issues or problems.

And the FXAA setting works great with Borderlands and Ghost Busters.