What is the SDcard location for Android?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by F1refly, Jun 25, 2016.

1. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Is it /mnt/sdcard/ or /sdcard/? I seem to have both and not sure which one actually goes to my sdcard. I want to move some files there.

2. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    use phone build in filemanager
    what phone you have

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    They likely both go to the same place, sdcard is internal storage with Android though

MicroSD will be called Ext-SD or something, or now with Marshmallow, mine is called 8 different characters, 9BXX-XXXX

4. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    To put the files where I want, I have to manually type in the location, the file manager doesn't really tell me if I'm in the SD card or not.

I don't see anything with ext-sd. It's an LG phone with android 4.4. I'm starting under the root. I see a folder called Sdcard. I know there is another one under /mnt/ and apparently there is another one under /storage/....so which is which? I need to know the address so I can type it out so the app knows where to put files.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016

5. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Install Total Commander, it's much easier to manipulate files between two panels i.e. internal sforage and SD card/USB flash drive, check: Settings -> List window arrangement -> Show two panel

6. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I really didn't need a file manager, I need the location address to the sdcard. The app I am using downloads offline files, I wanted them to go to sdcard but I have to manually type it in. The file manager shows me a lot of folders within sub folders that say sdcard but I wasn't for sure if those went directly to the sd card or not.

Reason being, I had to completely restore my phone because when I first tried to put those files there, it was still putting them in the internal storage and I got errors saying my storage is full and nothing I did was able to free up space even after I deleted every file I could find. Not sure what happened but I am trying to avoid that again.

For example, is it: /sdcard, /mnt/sdcard, /storage/externalsd?...which is the root of the sdcard? It doesn't seem to be /sdcard

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  7. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Few examples for SD card location from some Android devices near me:

tablet Asus ME173X (JB 4.2.2): /Removable/MicroSD
    tablet Asus ME176C (KK 4.4.2): /Removable/MicroSD

phone Huawei (KK 4.3):
    SD card partition #1: /storage/sdcard0
    SD card partition #2: /storage/sdcard1

Edit
    SD card location/adress can be different due to manufacturer, device model, Android version...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  8. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    ok so guess I'll try /storage/externalsd/ as that seems to be the closest. thanks

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

:)
    _________

10. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    didn't work, at least the sd drive's available space didn't change after about 400 megs downloaded but not sure where they went since /storage/externalsd/ doesn't show any files but my internal storage is shows 384 megs less but offline browser said it was just over 400 megs...hell I dunno. I give up but I can't seem to get that 384 megs back despite using junk file cleaner.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I use ES File Explorer, on the home page and left panel it has the main storage locations

[​IMG][​IMG]