Same low FPS on 390 across many games and all settings

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Andriokz, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Andriokz

Andriokz Guest

GPU:
    AMD 390 (depression)/
    As the title says but this goes to ALL games at 1920x1080. In league of legends, highest and lowest, I will drop in team fights to 30 fps and some stutters. Overwatch is the same on all settings 30-60 FPS. Fallout 4 will drop to 15-20 fps in cities, every setting. Black Desert Online, lower fps on lower settings than a friend with an old comp, 40 fps difference sometimes. 20-30 FPS in cities. Not sure which GPU he uses, but it's AMD and not one of the 7970s from back then. All the latest drivers, reinstalled Windows, tried 7 and 10, no difference. I have seen builds very similar to this and didn't see these issues/fps reported. I have no idea what to do at this point. The only reply I seem to get for this is "turn off godrays" on FO4, but this makes no difference and doesn't explain all the other games.

I have RMAed the Motherboard and CPU, neither are the issue. I figured it couldn't be the GPU, but went through 2 970s before this and had similar issues. Compared the FPS to another comp with a MSI R7970 Lightning and the difference in fps was much better.

Parts:

ATI R9 390

i5 4460

ASRock H97m Pro4

Corsair Vengeance 8 GB DDR3 1600

EVGA Supernova 650 G2 PSU

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Something is indeed wrong. You have a good system, games should be flying.

Do you monitor temps, clocks, gpu/cpu usage while gaming? You tried that 390 on another PC with a different PSU?

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Your motherboard had a bios update just 15 days ago. If I were you, I would install it, set everything to AHCI and do a clean Windows 10 1607 installation. And I also don't get something in your post. Did you have or did you not have similar issues with the 970s? And as Undying is saying, check the PSU if the problem persists.

4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    First thing I would try, if you haven't already, is installing MSI AfterBurner and maxing out the power limit for your GPU. I had major issues with FPS or stuttering in more than half of my steam games back when I had my 290, raising the power limit and making a custom fan curve set everything straight.

Try that and report back so we can solve this with you. Also, doing a clean graphics driver uninstall using DDU is another good idea if you haven't already.

5. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    My friend had similiar problem with his 390. Turned out his msi card had bad cooler connection. He hit 94C on gpu after few mins of gaming with stock clocks, and then gpu started to throttle heavily. He got new replacement card and temps are now 70C. And performance in games is good.