Cannot open nvidia control panel

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by hanson, Feb 24, 2011.

1. hanson

hanson Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING/3G
    Hi guys,
    just wanna ask this : i cannot open nvidia control panel with driver 266.66 or 266.77 for my zotac gtx560ti oc, when i click it at desktop with right click on mouse first it goes crash.... only with driver 266.44 from zotac bundle i can open it and not crash..... why is that??
    btw i'm using win7 x64..... and i already instal with using "perform clean instal" but still couldnot open nvidia control panel.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  2. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    In the read me filefor last few Nvidia drivers there was a bug mentioned about not being able to open the Nvidia CP and the fix was to install the drivers a 2nd time over the top (not the clean option).

If you still have issues you will need to try remove all traces of old drivers using DriverSweeper !

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    uninstall driver
    boot into safemode
    use drivesweeper to clean old driver remains out
    boot into normal mode
    install new driver
    reboot into normal mode
    :)

4. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    you need to run service "nvidia driver helper service" x2 (nvvsvc.exe) without you have no access to the cp

5. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    I'm having a similar issue.
    win7 32bit, nvcp was working fine until I tried to enter the video options and it crashed.
    now it crashes as soon as I launch nvcp.

tried second install, clean install (inc. driver sweeper), restarting the driver helper service...
    nothing solved it for me, expect rolling back to 266.58 whql :(
    I can however clean install 266.77 and use the nvcp as long as I never visit the video options.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  6. hanson

hanson Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING/3G
    Yes, applejack your issue is very similar with me :) but for me i have to instal zotac 266.44 driver first which can open nvidia control panel and other setting without crash then i have to install driver 266.66 using option no.1 (upgrade) not perform clean install.... result is i can open nvidia control panel but only to see/open" manage 3D setting" or "physx configuration".... if i click setting for video or anything under "physx configuration" then it goes CRASH .... when i start agan nvid.cont.panel it crash right away as i click it.
    But weird thing is that i have 2 friends that dont have problem like mine with same videocard and same OS...... could it be bug for OS or nvidia? i bet OS. Must update hotfix or something like that.

And the second weird thing is : i cannot install nvidia 266.58 driver... why is that? if i instal first it goes normal then when trying copying files and installing it says "cannot locate hardware for this driver.....bla bla " (i forgot exactly the words said oops)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  7. hanson

hanson Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING/3G
    I tried 267 beta even there's a note that this driver fix error/crash when opening nvidia control panel .... still it crashes again and again :(
    whats wrong with my hardware???

8. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    well, 267.24 beta solved the nvcp crashes for me.

I'm guessing you installed the 267.26 beta driver, as it support your card (gtx560), while 267.24 doesn't, right ?

9. hanson

hanson Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING/3G
    Thx applejack but 267.24 still crash while opening nvidia control panel and worse is 267.26 just couldnot installed in mysystem, btw now i change my card to Digital Alliance GTX560Ti sonic and the problem still EXIST, only driver from VGA (DA) can open nvidia control panel same like Zotac..... i even re install my windows with SP1 for win7 ultimate x64, the problem still EXIST........... really confuse about this.... i wonder maybe mymobo have problem with nvidia latest software???

10. wulaishiwo

wulaishiwo Guest

GPU:
    Memory size
    I've no idea about what you are talking about, sorry.

11. henrykipson

henrykipson Guest

GPU:
    no
    Hey...Really informative thread..Keep it up.

12. Infinity7_00

Infinity7_00 Banned

GPU:
    NVidia GTX580SC 1536mb
  13. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    ^

Do this, disregard everything else.

14. hanson

hanson Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING/3G
    Thx all i will try it again .... uuufffff i almost give up hehe btw my card runs very well daily but cannot open nvidia control panel ^^

15. hanson

hanson Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING/3G
    Update:
    Finally i can open my nvidia control panel :) thx to Peppercute for his information about driver 270.32 beta :)) and thx to KenshiHH for his link ;) ....... nice now nvidia automatically make tray icon on the down right corner of mydesktop...... and i thx to all who has joined/gave advice in mythread :) great forum guys!