GTX 470 LOUD Beeping Please Help!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Feldhake, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Feldhake

Feldhake Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 470 1280
    Gurus,

First post, but I have found your advice on here helpful for years. I consider myself fairly savvy with hardware though I make a living in software. That being said, I am nowhere near your level. I am normally able to resolve my issues through testing and researching, but I have lost a card to this problem once (I believe) and desperately need help to prevent another loss.

About 20 minutes ago I submitted a ticket to EVGA's support team, but I'm confident that will prove a fruitless effort. In any case, let me put the body of that ticket here to help explain the problem:

So far this problem only happens with my new card in Mass Effect 2 on maximum settings and only in talking scenes where it gets close in on someone's face. I run the game at 2560x1440, but I run all games at that. There is absolutely no chop at all, it's very smooth and gorgeous... I just get these extremely loud warning beeps and I am scared my card is going to die on me again.

Is there any way to determine the root cause here and fix this issue? Can anybody lend advice? Is this likely to kill my GPU again?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

2. SlazsH

SlazsH Guest

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Trio X
    Hello there, i am not familiar with the EVGA cards - the card itself has a "beeper"?
    Or is it the motherboard beeps you are hearing?

As for my experience, beeps are usually a "threshold warning" (heat, voltage, speed etc.)
    Try downloading HWmonitor to monitor your voltages and temps.

Are you using vSync? it should be able to limit the refresh rate and FPS in games like ME2 where the card just overkills the FPS.

3. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Lower the resolution and see if it happens. Also, are you sure it isn't the mobo speaker that is beeping?

4. Peter Buxu

Peter Buxu Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 280 OCX
    Well I think that the VGAs has got an embedded speaker into them........I not sure 100%, may be I am wrong but you should check about that, because one time I forgot to plug the power connector to my 8800GTS & when I started the PC on, the PC started to beep, indicating that the VGA wasn't getting enough power...........then I plugged the power connector & the PC started normally.

I think that you should check your PSU though, to make sure that it is working properly...........I would test it with another VGA which has got the same capabilities of your current one or are more powerful.........gl m8t ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011

5. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    thats normally the motherboard speaker... ive never heard of a graphics card with a speaker...

i would assume that temps would be the issue. how hot is the card getting?

6. Peter Buxu

Peter Buxu Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 280 OCX
    Check the image below, where it shows the arrow...........for me that small thing is a speaker

[​IMG]

arranged the pic ;)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  7. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Not showing up but I don't believe there is any speaker on any video cards that I am aware of.

8. zmanster

zmanster Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 470 SLI (water)
    I've taken my two 470s apart to place koolance waterblocks onto them. There were no speakers to be found anywhere on the PCB. I can't see your pics either.

9. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    8800GTX had a speaker :)

10. Peter Buxu

Peter Buxu Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 280 OCX
    I had the speaker onto my 2 8800GTS's

11. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    yea right i had 3 speakers on my 8800gts 320mb lol..

@ Feldhake

could be capacitor squeal?

12. WacKEDmaN

WacKEDmaN Guest

i beleive it is CPU overheating...
    extra heat generated by the 470 is causing the CPU to overheat and give the warning beeps

try taking the side off the case!

13. Peter Buxu

Peter Buxu Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 280 OCX
    I think if it was the CPU, the PC would still function properly, but would throttle the CPU down for safety

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Some of the ref design based 480/470 cards have a speaker, it's a small black round button like.

When you leave 6/8-pin power connectors disconnected they'll make noise at a level it'll scare you. So unplug them, startup the PC. If the sound is similar then you know its the GFX card speaker, and if it is similar .. yeah chances are you have a PSU issue or something very wrong at one of the phases of your GFX card.

15. Feldhake

Feldhake Guest

GPU:
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I had some crazy week at work and haven't had a chance to review this until tonight. I greatly appreciate your assistance.

I turned on Vsync and it did alleviate the issue I was seeing in certain scenes, but the problem remains for other scenes. Also, I've noticed that the exact same scene won't set off the beeping if I just turned my machine on when that scene has previously caused constant beeping after my machine's been running.

That indicates a temp issue, but if I alt-tab out of the game I immediately cease hearing the noise. It is only present in specific scenes and if the video card isn't outputting that scene it instantly stops making noise. If it was a temp issue, wouldn't it take a moment to cool down before it stopped beeping?

I don't know what capacitor squeal sounds like - is my description symptomatic of that?

This is an EVGA card that is factory overclocked, it has a much different cooling device on it than the standard 470 cards. It would be feasible that they added a speaker as well, I think.

I downloaded HWMonitor, but it really isn't telling me anything. I guess I just don't know what I'm looking for.

I'm including some information from HWMonitor, not really sure what I'm looking for here?

And this is from the HWMonitor UI, directly after a long beeping session:

[​IMG]

Anything there indicate a heat/voltage issue?

Thanks again for everyone's input!

16. Captain Oats

Captain Oats Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx760 2gb
    77C on a core of non overclocked processor is a bit high. My guess is you have a stock cooler. By yourself an aftermarket one and see if that helps.

17. Feldhake

Feldhake Guest

GPU:
    So you think the beeping is due to my processor overheating? My video card temps are reasonable?

18. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Doubtful, unless you have something set up in BIOS that gives a warning when your CPU goes over a certain temperature. Your processor is still within acceptable limits.

I would check the power cables going from the PSU to the graphics card, and also make sure the PCIe slot is clean and free of any dust that might be stopping it from receiving enough power.

19. Feldhake

Feldhake Guest

GPU:
    I'm not sure what you mean by check the power cables? I only have 2 connectors of this type, so I don't have the option of swapping them out to see if it happens with a different set. I'll check on the slot, thanks.