Date/Time won't update even with service started.

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Phweak, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Phweak

Phweak Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GT555M 1.5GB
    Hey, I got help from these forums just a couple days ago on getting my laptop in tip-top shape. Still super thrilled how it performs. One annoying thing that's happening now though is my Date/Time won't update when I click the button.

I think the root of the problem is when I unplugged the cmos battery, it reset the date and time. I've googled the issue and most responses are to start the service and problem solved. I even did a Microsoft Fix-it, because **** it, why not. Seemed to be the path of least resistance at the time. It's purpose was to re-register certain services and I assume the Windows Time service was one of those.

Now when I restart, even though the service is set to start automatically, it's not started. When I do start it, and go into the date/time settings, it does say it was last synchronized at x/x/x/y:y. But then when I go to the internet time tab and try to click the button to update, I get "an error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with time.windows.com" message. And then sometimes I get the original "Unable to start Windows Time service. Please try again later."

**This part is no longer an issue, fixed with restart**
    I tried the cmd prompt solution involving w32tm, and it works when I use the /debug and /disable parameters, but when I try /unregister, I get an access denied message. I'm in a right-click run as administrator cmd prompt.
    **This part is no longer an issue, fixed with restart**

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014