OCZ to Showcase NVM Aeon Series 3.5" SSD Next Week

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    OCZ Technology Group will showcase the company's latest enterprise storage and acceleration solutions at the 2013 High Performance Computing (HPC) for Wall Street Show in booth 201 at the Roosevelt H...

OCZ to Showcase NVM Aeon Series 3.5" SSD Next Week

2. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I quote from the article:

"....along with providing unlimited endurance supporting an infinite number of drive writes per day without wearing out or slowing down."

Now mr poopy ssd scientists, explain me why the **** my Crucial m4 has limited drive writes.. &*#*@ #$%*$*@^!

Oh its because that OCZ its for the big show, big buckaroos now aint it? &*#*@ #$%*$*@^ x2!

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Maybe its because SSD technology hasn't been where it is at now. Also, it maybe because they wanted to cut down on costs and release an affordable product to the mass market. The main thing that people upgrade, even those who know nothing on PC hardware, will upgrade their HDD or RAM first out of everything else. Its fact that its the commonly upgraded item in a PC or Laptop by quite a large margin. So releasing a fast and affordable product instead of fast but extremely expensive product was the better option. Even though SSD's for the most part where pretty damn expensive when compared to HDD's but that is what you pay for newer technology that is technically still evolving.

I am hoping this new OCZ drive brings much bigger capacities than current SSD's whilst not compromising on price and performance. If they can get it to 400+MB read and writes and it come in with a minimum capacity of 500GB for around £200-£250 I am sold.

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    No performance degradation? I would love to get a few of these for my NAS. :nerd:

5. Savidge

Savidge Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9 390x
    unlimited writes? wow and here I thought my vertex 4s were bad-ass..nope! sooo.. as soon as price per capacity comes down a bit more that would mean its game over for mechanical hard drives?

6. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It depends on the usage.
    I was talking with Oktawave cloud founder and they ditched whole HDD idea. They wanted to offer really good storage performance and the cost of doing that with HDDs would be absurd. So they went with custom pcie-based SSDs and in general specially-tailored storage architecture, so it's not for everyone.
    How else could you achieve 3.5GB/s random reads/writes with almost 1mil iops?

Anyway they still use HDDs, but only for large objects storage and the cheapest storage plan, as there's pretty much no difference in performance in this area.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013