Is a 1920x1200 monitor going to be an issue with games?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by HonoredShadow, Jul 25, 2011.

1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-U2410-...1AFU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311581632&sr=8-1

I am thinking about going for this monitor. Thing is some games dont support that native resolution. We all know that if you dont run a game on these sort of monitors at their native resolution you get blurring and the picture does not look its best.

Also 1920 x 1200 will be harder for games like Crysis to run at. I wish they made a 1080p version of this monitor!

What do you guys think?

2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Used to have that monitor, was WICKED.

As for game support, MOST games would support that resolution so I'd go for it...

3. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Hu? Having a bigger monitor than you'd need is never going to be a problem - why would it be blurry? You dont run 1920x1080 'stretched' out on a 1920x1200, you still have a crispy sharp picture, just with black bars on top/bottom.

Ok, maybe thats not the whole story. It depends whether you want to run it with a pc or a console. As i remember now, my 1920x1200 gave me problems with the 360, it always forced the pic to be stretched which looked aweful to say the least. :p

4. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    I hate 1080p screen because they're so "flat" - it's the proportions don't match with width and height. I prefer 1920x1200 any day - much more harmonic screen area thats larger in height.
    I've had 1920x1200 monitors for 3years and I haven't had a single game not being able to run that resolution. 1080P is just "the new kid on the block" since TV's support such a high res for the first time in years and years whereas TFT's and CRTs have surpassed than in many years.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

5. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Why would I want to buy a monitor that has borders? Surely it would make more sense to use the FULL screen.

So what we are saying is that the above monitor is not great for gaming as a fair few games will have borders. I don't see this as acceptable.

Maybe, just maybe I could use the AMD drivers to 'maintain aspect ratio' or stretch to fill the screen but that is a no go as well isn't it!

6. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    What do you mean flat? All my monitors have been 'flat' apart from my really old CRT. What are you on about?

7. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    That monitor has no option to use 1920x1080?

8. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    But my understanding of current monitors is this. The one I have now is a Samsung P2450h. Its native resolution is 1920 x 1080. If I put a game in a resolution less than that then I get a slight blurring as its not the native res. This is how the majority of monitors and HDTV's seem to work.

Likewise with a 1920 x 1200 monitor. Like I said before though, if I put a game to 1920 x 1080 on the monitor linked above then I will get a border. How can that be acceptable to anyone that is trying to get the best. I want things better than I have, not worse!

9. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    What I meant was, can you not change the screen resolution from native (1920x1200 in this case) to 1920x1080?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  10. wasteomind

wasteomind Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    Then get a 27 inch 1920x1080 monitor and be done with it. It will be bigger. It will fill your viewing area without feeling flat or small, it has a nice resolution, and will support almost every game you buy without having black bars unless it is a game with a cutscenes using a higher aspect. You can hook it up to a PS3 or Xbox without image stretching or blur.

I bought a 40inch lcd 1080p and haven't regretted it for a second. The difference between a few extra vetical pixels, or being able to see further to the sides isn't that big.

11. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Thanks for that. I had just heard alot about the Dell monitors and that one in perticular has a relatively fast panel with great colour. Could someone suggest another monitor that is of equal type quality. Dell's do seam to be one of the best.

Like I said I currently have a samsung TN monitor and I am not pleased at all as the colour is not great at all.

Thanks again.

Sy.

12. bigb159

bigb159 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5850 1GB
    I second this. Pricey but worth it.

13. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    at first i was all about fullHD.. but now i would just go for much higher than meaningless 60Hz.. i bet the difference is worth the price(khem..i mean resolution)

14. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I will refuse to buy some low resolution fullHD crap when you can go with good stuff (16:10).

Issue with games ? Only few (new) games do not support 16:10 natively, or do not benefit from it. It's also better at everyday use.

Makes it harder to run Crysis... YOU HAVE 2*HD5850 ! It's not going to be issue.

Only thing where 16:9 can be better for some is if you like to watch movies from your PC monitor. No black bars, but tbh, picture is same size as with 16:10 which just has those black bars, doesnt bother me at all. Black bars or border of the screen, either of those is going to be around of your picture anyway.

15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    That Monitor is going EOL this replaces it next month.

The difference between "1200P" and 1080P is very low in terms of frames per second and I'd check the crysis2 dx11 review on the front page for granularity of your specific GPU performance.

Overall, 1200p is a better monitor to have for overall PC usage, because you will have more Windows desktop real estate for those non-gaming moments.

If you only game, do not get a 60Hz Monitor - go for a 120Hz TN Panel, like the BenQ XL2410T Link - words cannot express how good it is to game on this panel, it is the highest performing monitor available with zero input lag and a razor fast screen - but as a day-to-day monitor is dreadful, as the minute you move your head 1 nanometre left or right, the contrast, color and brightness change dramatically. Movies are a no no.

Some people are not sensitive to input lag - so whatever you go for, test it out at your local electronics store to see how it responds to the mse+k/b, if it feels okay, fine. Your money, your choice.

I can also recommend the HP ZR24W 60Hz IPS Panel - very good panel at a good price point with 10ms input lag and is 1200p with all of the benefits that an IPS panel has.

Gaming - 120Hz TN Panel
    all round - 60Hz IPS Panel with low input lag
    graphics - 152" 4K Plasma:banana:

16. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Wow! Now that is a screen!

17. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    I have to say, I dont really get the issue. Ive run a dell 2407 (the predecessor to the monitor you are looking at) for more than 5 years now. When I first got it there were some problems with support due to widescreen being a new thing, but I can honestly say ive not known a single game NOT support 1920x1200 for at least the last 3 years, with one exception - Witcher 2 - and they now added that with the recent patch.

IMO 16:10 is a nicer ratio than 16:9, and I'd certainly prefer the dot pitch of a 1920x1200 24" monitor over a 1920x1080 27" monitor - the screen will be sharper as a result.

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    You can hook a PC upto it as well...:eek:c:

19. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    The link to the new Dell. How is that better?

20. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I have a TN panel now and I don't like this one. The colour is not great at all. Thats why I was thinking about going IPS. 60hz vsync or not does not bother me.