Alternative Discrete Drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by susheemonster, Apr 20, 2014.

1. susheemonster

susheemonster Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6750M 1GB(DDR5)
    Hi. I have a Samsung Series 7 Laptop (NP700Z5A-S03US) with the Radeon HD 6750M and Windows 7. The last time Samsung updated the graphics drivers was on Aug 6, 2012 for version 8.951.9.3000. That's nearly two years ago.

Official drivers from ATI's web site won't work. The "AMD Mobility Radeon Driver Verification Tool" states a "incompatible software/hardware" message and that the version of my graphics adapter isn't supported.

I've seen alternate drivers, like the Omegas, around the internet, but I'm concerned with bricking my laptop. From what I infer, the drivers for my laptop are custom tailored. Does anyone have success stories from using 3rd party drivers on their Samsung laptop, or even on my specific model?

PS - I can't post a URL to my system specs because of my post count. Sorry

2. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    i takes a lot of trial and error....and lots of searching.....my graphics (HD 4200) is much older than yous...and i managed to get it working with a driver from 13.9 dated 4/29/2013 and actually working on win 8.1

its hard to explain....even when i found a possible compatible driver.... i had to do a few weird steps to get it to install....amd divers can be tricky to install...cause it will say not compatible or something to that extent...but if you update it thu the device manager and play around with the different options for installing the driver it will finally install and work.....it drives me mad updating the dam driver on my old laptop...in comparison my desktop (7970) is a breeze

if you worried about bricking your laptop...make a system image backup before hand...otherwise yea you could get stuck re installing windows in worst case scenario....these no way a driver will damage your hardware...but it could brick the software in rare cases

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  3. godknowswhy

godknowswhy Guest

GPU:
    All sorts
    Yes trial and error is the way across all hardware locked systems. In your case I personally would download 13.12 mobility driver..... go thru the install, change the directory to desktop and cancel after the package extracts. Then go thru device manager and use 'Have Disk' method to update driver. If all,s well after a reboot then use the AMD installer to install the rest of the driver package. Also helps to have correct .net and runtimes up to date. Hope this helps.

4. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    what hes saying is exactly the steps i was referring to...i driver that claims to not work will all of sudden work....very frustrating

5. susheemonster

susheemonster Guest

GPU:
    Thanks for the input, guys! I'll try out godknowswhy's advice. There's also Leshcat's drivers. I'll let you know what works.

6. godknowswhy

godknowswhy Guest

GPU:
    All sorts
    Any luck either way ?

7. susheemonster

susheemonster Guest

GPU:
    I managed to find a direct link to the driver after a bit of Googling.

It installed without any hiccups. I didn't really think to try and download the driver, itself. :bang: Haven't done performance comparison on any games, yet.