OWC offer SATA3 SSD PCIe Daughter Board

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 25, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    So if you do not have SATA3 and are stuck on SATA but do want to maximize SSD performance, OWC might have the answer for you, at the expense of a PCie slot though. Other World Computing announced the...

OWC offer SATA3 SSD PCIe Daughter Board

2. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    57USD, not worth it. Max 15USD.

3. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Yep, way too overpriced imho. 57USD is simply too much. Few years ago for that rig in my sig (X58 mobo without SATA3, just SATA2) to use it with Intel 520 series 120GB SSD as it's meant to be on SATA3 I've bought Transcent PCIEx 2.0 x4 combo SATA3/USB3.0 controler card for just around 20€. If the price is 20$/€, even 25$/€ that would be OK, but 57$ is way too much.

btw, cards like this OWC Accelsior S (for fair price, of course) could be really nice upgrade for all running SATA3 SSD's on non-SATA3 mobo's.

4. Enticles

Enticles Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070ti
    if it was cheaper i'd consider one or two, i have multiple free PCI lanes and would love to get rid of some power / SATA cables that run to my 2 SSD's if i could help it :)

wouldn't pay in excess of $100 for them though.

5. boerenlater

boerenlater Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 610 silent
    Drop 10 more and you got a nice new motherboard with sata3.

6. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Looks like they used a run of the mill multipurpose USB/SATA/PCI-E controller, slapped on a cheap PCB. Better save some extra cash and go for a true native SATA-6G with a new (or second hand) mobo. Those auxiliary controllers usually suck at write speeds anyway.

7. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    what if you bought a pci-e ssd instead?

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Definitely not worth it. I bought a PCIe card with 2 SATA ports (with RAID support) for about $20 including shipping. I'm guessing its performance isn't up-to-par but it has so far been good enough.

Considering this card is marketed toward people who are looking to add a SATA3 SSD to a PC that currently does not support SATA3, it makes more sense to me to just simply get a PCIe SSD and skip SATA altogether.

9. Derragon

Derragon Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670/2GB
    This is actually very frustrating from my perspective.

This product is only a PCI-E to SATA3 chipset with a 2.5" mounting system slapped onto it, with a little voltage regulator to supply power to the SSD. It's no different than your Asmedia add-in cards for JBOD/Fakeraid arrangements.

The best part is that they're actually using a chipset from one of their other products and have removed an eSATA port (you can see the differential pairs and power traces going to the edge of the mounting bracket).

Total cost? Less than $20 for the parts and assembly (in 1KUs, of course) is what I'll guess.

Sidenote: I bet you could solder an eSATA port to the exposed pads and it'd function fine, because I can almost guarantee they aren't putting the effort into producing their own controller IC, and so there'd be no differences in firmware.

10. Goose

Goose Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Hybrid (+ GT745)
    No information as to it being bootable; No information as to what chipset it'll work with …

:s3d: