Hard shutdown can cause your GPU to fry?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Neralio, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Neralio

Neralio Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 270
    Bad extension cord placements(3 of them) and a cramped room causes my PC to always get accidentally unplugged, not directly but it's either from one of the 3 extension cords. Just wondering if it can fry your GPU, since I've been noticing more artifacting lately from my defective GPU. It sucks since certain games on this defective GPU were free of artifacting or others only had teeny artifacting but now I'm getting considerable amounts of artifacting from a game that usually had rare artifacting.

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    If it was already artifacting then it probably meant that the GPU was already starting to go bad. If the plug gets pulled like that it can make it worse of course.

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    The GPU is dying regardless if you already have artifacting. Anything that stresses the GPU physically (electrically, temperatures, etc...) will cause it to fail sooner.

4. Neralio

Neralio Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 270
    Sorry I didn't explain myself fully, the GPU wasn't ever fine, it's always been artifacting ever since and I didn't mind RMA'ing since I was told that it could take months to get a new one in return so I just endured the occasional artifacting. But now it's gotten really really bad which sucks cause I only have to wait for a few months before I get a new one. It started to get real bad when there was this few couple of days where it got unplugged daily before this streak it was fine, and now the artifacting is just insane and intolerable, the only game I could play with zero artifacting was CS GO and now it's like I'm hit with a black flashbang every few seconds because of the huuuuge artifacts jutting out that engulfs the whole screen

5. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Well that sucks but you took a bad decision, now your gpu is ****ed.

I'd rather have wait a month for a new one than having it die after 5 months.

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    What? Why would you not RMA a GPU that's artifacting? It only gets worse, and now it's dying.

7. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    ^if you live outside the US its away cheaper to buy a new one(whatever you bought) than shipping it back

I myself had to live with a noisy fan for a few months for that same reason

btw if OP's gpu was defective from the very beginning who knows why it might get worse now, electrical failure can be a reason but that's just an assumption at this point, if your card is factory OCed try to use the reference design default clocks and voltage