GTX 1080 in X58?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by orion24, May 20, 2016.

1. orion24

orion24 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    I'm one of those die-hard X58 users, finding nothing attractive to a new system other that SATA 3.0 and a BIOS that would make you boot with PCI-E SSDs. My 6-core 4.5 GHz overclocked CPU will not be a bottleneck but I'm worried about PCI-E 2.0. So far it has not contained my GTX 680, but what will be the case with the GTX 1080? First of all will it work? I know it should be backwardly compatible but don't want any ugly surprises. And if it does, will there be a notable bottleneck? Reviewers don't cover this part out, as they don't properly cover SATA2 performance of modern SSDs either. Maybe we, the X58 users are getting kind of outdated.

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I'm running a 980Ti. While I can't guarantee It would work, X58 boards are surprisingly compatible when adding newer hardware. SSD speed, top out at ~250 Mb/sec unless you board has an onboard SATA III controller which might get you around 350 Mb/sec but with much higher access latency. Of course our older systems won't utilize the newest top end GPU's as effectively, but the 1080 would still be a major upgrade for you

3. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Great question! I wonder if I would have a bottleneck with my cpu?

4. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    There is always an bottleneck as long as faster cpu's gives higher fps or lower rendering time ;)

How much bottleneck is another question :p It all depends on the game/program.

pci-e 3.0 gives also less overhead and lower latency, which is essential for fast pci-e ssd's. How much performance advantage 3.0 gives VS 2.0 with gtx 1080, I do not know, and mayby only nVidia does.

Last edited: May 20, 2016

5. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Depending on the game and resolution you are running, yes, in some scenarios that CPU will be a significant bottleneck.

6. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
    without lettings us know what games you play and what settings you wanna use nobody can answer your question.

your overclocked W3690 is still a very powerfull cpu and will see its golden wedding with dx12 when the developer learn to fully use its 6 cores/12 threads.

arma3 720p? yeah.. your cpu will bottleneck.

gta v 4k? no cpu bottleneck.. the gtx 1080 will suffer.